Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
400 dollar yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
brakes acting weird

When I first start my car and go to press on the brakes for the first time my car acts sort of weird like almost like the brakes get stuck or something. At first, I thought it was just because they could be wet as its raining a lot where I'm at, but now I am a bit more skeptical. I think the rear drum brakes may need to be replaced, but I haven't had time to look yet this morning, does this sound like something that may be true or am I maybe looking at a bigger issue
? It's as if the back end raises up a little bit when I'm first backing out of the parking space in the morning and it has been doing it for a few days now. Is it possible for water to get trapped inside the drums?
400 dollar yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Simply answer first. Can water get trapped inside the drum? No.

As for possible issues with the drums.

1. Do you use your parking brake? If so, it may not be freely releasing when disengaged.

2. The 3 contact points on each brake shoe could be sticking and in need of lubrication.

3. The piston may be sticking.

4. Excessive brake dust is accumulating inside the drum causing caking and should be cleaned out.

What is your mileage? Rear shoes and drums last close to forever, but periodic maintenance is required to ensure they remain fully operational.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
400 dollar yaris

I'm at like 150,000 miles. I know they would have to be replaced eventually because I took the cover off and the shoes were pretty worn down. But I just got back from where I was at and it honestly feels like I'm backing up and hitting something when I step on the brake. It seems to be mostly when I'm going in reverse.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 dollar yaris View Post
I know they would have to be replaced eventually because I took the cover off and the shoes were pretty worn down.
Keep in mind that when new, the material on a shoe is only about 3mm thick. A lot of people take drums off and see so little material on the shoe they immediately think they are severely worn, not knowing how little was there to being with.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Keep in mind that when new, the material on a shoe is only about 3mm thick. A lot of people take drums off and see so little material on the shoe they immediately think they are severely worn, not knowing how little was there to being with.
yea, my last civic I bought new, drove it hard, and at 338,000 miles sold it with the factory shoes. I went to change them 3 times, but just cleaned and adjusted and returned parts. (replaced the front pads 6 times, rotors 3 times. clutch 4 times)

how is the brake fluid proportioned on the yaris? i'm going to see if I can find out...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
400 dollar yaris

so I took them apart and I had trouble getting one off. very dirty. I cleaned everything with brake clean and antiseized everything so hopefully next time I go to take the cover off it wont be stuck. I tested it and the problem seems to have been taken care of. thank you guys. I will keep you posted for anything new that comes up. Is it possible that a large amount of brake dust inside the drums could have caused this problem?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 dollar yaris View Post
Is it possible that a large amount of brake dust inside the drums could have caused this problem?
That is the most probably cause of you noise. It can cause squeals as well. Btw, it's important to keep your rear brakes adjusted up. Otherwise your front brakes do all the work, and you can get tapered wear of the shoes. Should be adjusted no less than every 24000km, and really should be checked anytime the rear wheels are off.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote