Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #19
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" Thanks for the UOA. What happened with the viscosity? "

The timing chain has been blamed as a culprit as well . Right , Craigq ?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Here's the report for the 2008 sedan to compare with the 2010 3 door U.O.A..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (265.9 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 05-23-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
I've got a question re; oil changes in my 2010. I bought it 6 months old with 4,600 miles on it. The dealer changed the oil then. I had the second oil change done 7 months later with 3,500 miles on it. The service guy said the oil looked brand new & almost kept it for his truck! lol. So now I'm approaching 6 months again, but only have 1,800 miles on it. Sure seems like a waste to do it now, but I want to keep the warranty valid. This 18 month service (I have 9,800 miles on the car total now) would also be the time the manual says to inspect other items. A Toyota service manager said they don't worry about the time interval like they do the mileage. I know the manual says do it every 6 months no matter the mileage, but... I'm betting most would say do it every 6 months until out of warranty then do it every 5,000 miles which is about 11 months for me. The oil in it now is conventional Shell 5w-30.
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #22
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Toyota says 6 months so if I were worried at all about warranty I'd do it then. The dealer isn't wrong by not being overly worried about the time of the oil change interval BUT it is there for a reason-as a catch all. More on this below.

Here is my opinion.

If you put on 1800 miles in 6 months, then presumably you

A. Do a lot of short trips.

B. Use your car infrequently for longer/moderate length trips.

If A is true a good bit of the time, in MI where it is a least moderately cold a good bit of the year I would be changing at 6 months regardless. It simply takes longer in cold environments for the engine to reach operating temp and this adds fuel dilution due to fuel enrichment during warm up and provides less time at normal temp to cook off fuel and moisture. This combination can deplete the oils ability to neutralize acid much more quickly. This makes an oil more likely to allow the formation of sludge, deposits and corrosion of engine components. This is why the 6 month catch all exists-for the guy in Alaska who drives his car one mile to work everyday.

If B is more the case for you and the vast majority of your trips are 10 miles or longer you could go longer. I would recommend an oil analysis that includes Total Base Number (or TBN, a measure of an oils remaining acid neutralizing capability) to be sure you're not over extending. You get the added benefit also of checking for other issues that may exist, such as coolant ingress or an intake air leak. However, in the case of a Yaris it clearly is not as much a cost/benefit winner as it may be in other applications.

I extend oil changes in the fleet of trucks at work out to 3 years in some cases. However they have much larger sumps (up to 7.5 gallons), are stored indoors, and almost always get brought up to temp when they are out. All those decisions are based on trended oil analysis data. I understand your frustration with waste also. I have a unit that must have its oil changed every 6 months for warranty and I have to drain out 6.75 gals of perfectly good oil!

Not sure if this will help your decision or muddy the water further. The honest truth is NO ONE (not even Toyota) knows if your oil change habits are adequate for your particular Yaris in your environment without oil analysis data. However, they have to come up with a recommendation that works at least moderately well for everyone.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
PatiWenlon
I've made a post!

Drives: None
Craigq-you are the man! Thanks a lot for those compilations, that is awesome!