Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
A/C only blowing out of passenger side?

So here's a weird one. The other day I turn my A/C on and it doesn't feel that cold. I thought, OK, it IS really hot so maybe it needs time to cool down the air.

Not the case. I felt the passenger side centre duct and it was freezing, as was the passenger vent by the window. It's strange since the centre duct is ONE unit with just a splitter on the dash...

Does anyone know what I can check? Obviously the A/C is working fine but it seems I am not getting much cold air at all from the drivers side. I've checked the obvious so far (ie: removed cabin filter, checked the centre dash vent for obstructions).

devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Try closing the passenger one and see if the driver's side one starts blowing or perhaps some debris or a critter come popping out.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Try closing the passenger one and see if the driver's side one starts blowing or perhaps some debris or a critter come popping out.
I will try that and let you know.

I think it's strange though how the centre duct can have two separate temps even though they come from a single duct ... lol.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
I will try that and let you know.

I think it's strange though how the centre duct can have two separate temps even though they come from a single duct ... lol.
Exactly - That's why I suspect a critter making its home in there.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Quote:
Exactly - That's why I suspect a critter making its home in there.
So I did what you said and I even took my dash apart and looked inside and nothing was there blocking anything. Checked all the mechanical actuators to make sure the doors were opening when I changed the settings and they worked too.

Could it be I just need a recharge? Never had one done before.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I did what you said and I even took my dash apart and looked inside and nothing was there blocking anything. Checked all the mechanical actuators to make sure the doors were opening when I changed the settings and they worked too.

Could it be I just need a recharge? Never had one done before.
Maybe. Usually when it needs to be charged, the output never gets cold. It seems odd that the center and passenger side are blowing cold.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
devinlamothe

Quote:
Maybe. Usually when it needs to be charged, the output never gets cold. It seems odd that the center and passenger side are blowing cold.
Well now it's working again. After taking the dash apart and checking everything, I put everything back together and was like hmm I will check the H and L ports on the AC lines. The H cap was kind of loose so I tightened it. Also, I checked the AC temp monitor on the front bumper and it had fallen off the mount, so I used some zip ties and put it back.

For some reason one of those things fixed the issue. I now have mostly the same temp from all vents.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
devinlamothe

Quote:
OK now today it's not working again. The drivers sides never get cold while the passenger side gets cool but not as cold as it should be.

I'm thinking it just needs to be recharged.

EDIT: Just an update, I checked the 'sight glass' on my AC and its bubbling like mad so yeah, low on refrigerant. Time to recharge!!

Last edited by devinlamothe; 07-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
devinlamothe

Update on this: Took it in to Toyota for a regular oil change and got them to check the AC just for the fun of it. The guy did a pressure test and said there was barely any Freon left.

They said it was most likely a small leak so they recharged the whole thing and added the dye ... told me to come back in a couple of days to check to see if they could find the leak. Depending on where the leak is I may or may not get the repair done right away as it could end up being $$$$$$$$$$$ to fix.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
devinlamothe

Another update ... it's the sight glass!

Is there an o-ring seal under it? Because there's no way in hell I am replacing the entire Liquid line ($450 part) just because of the sight glass.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Another update ... it's the sight glass!

Is there an o-ring seal under it? Because there's no way in hell I am replacing the entire Liquid line ($450 part) just because of the sight glass.
No, it's all one piece. That line lists for under $200.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
devinlamothe

Quote:
No, it's all one piece. That line lists for under $200.
Ugh. Well that sucks. It even looks like you can pop the glass out ... but of course they would make you replace the whole line. Our local shop has the part for $468 (LOL), but I see TRD Sparks has it for $166 plus shipping ... so I think I'll grab it there.

I just hope labour isn't $$$$.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ugh. Well that sucks. It even looks like you can pop the glass out ... but of course they would make you replace the whole line. Our local shop has the part for $468 (LOL), but I see TRD Sparks has it for $166 plus shipping ... so I think I'll grab it there.

I just hope labour isn't $$$$.
You could self install it and then just have them purge and fill it. It's too bad that I threw away all of Crashy's under hood A/C components. Her compressor was cracked, so I pulled it off along with the lines. I didn't realize how valuable they were.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
devinlamothe

Quote:
You could self install it and then just have them purge and fill it. It's too bad that I threw away all of Crashy's under hood A/C components. Her compressor was cracked, so I pulled it off along with the lines. I didn't realize how valuable they were.
I would self install, however they JUST recharged the entire system with dye and refrigerant so I would have to have it purged again. Not a big deal I suppose... also, I would have to figure out how to remove and install the line, haha.

EDIT: Never mind it looks really easy to do it myself ... just some bolts and O-Rings for seals.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
devinlamothe

Actually I have a quick question for those of you who know about AC systems.

Do I have to replace the drier at the same time as the line? I'm getting conflicting answers saying it you change any part you should replace the drier at the same time to prevent any moisture in the system, but I don't know.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Actually I have a quick question for those of you who know about AC systems.

Do I have to replace the drier at the same time as the line? I'm getting conflicting answers saying it you change any part you should replace the drier at the same time to prevent any moisture in the system, but I don't know.
The general rule of thumb with A/C is that you do replace the drier when replacing parts on a leaking system, but considering that yours still had some freon in it (i.e. did not completely vent), you would be safe with not replacing it.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
devinlamothe

Quote:
The general rule of thumb with A/C is that you do replace the drier when replacing parts on a leaking system, but considering that yours still had some freon in it (i.e. did not completely vent), you would be safe with not replacing it.
Well when I replace the liquid line I'm going to have to have the entire system evacuated aren't I? I don't want to have any of the 134a vent to the atmosphere.

I ordered a replacement drier desiccant bag anyways (I think it was $28).
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well when I replace the liquid line I'm going to have to have the entire system evacuated aren't I? I don't want to have any of the 134a vent to the atmosphere.

I ordered a replacement drier desiccant bag anyways (I think it was $28).
Correct. It will have to be evacuated before replacing the part, and then again once the part is on to remove any particulate and moisture.