Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
danmajor

Drives: yaris
Question What's the cheapest insurance for a Toyota Yaris?

I just picked up a 2012 Yaris from a friend

It's still sitting in my garage as I have yet to get it insured

What company is providing you Yaris owners with the cheapest insurance?

I am looking at http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/..._of_ownership/ and it says that I can expect to pay around $1400 annually for insuring this thing? How accurate is that?

I'm looking to find the cheapest insurance possible for it. Maybe just the minimum required by my state (La.) and nothing else. (it's not my everyday car, just driving it for fun on weekends and stuff... need to drive my pickup to work)
danmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I've found AAA to be the cheapest, but I also have it combined with my Homeowner's policy and my rate = zero moving violations and zero accidents.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
danmajor

Thanks, I'll definitely be checking out AAA. I insure my other vehicle with State Farm, but haven't really been satisfied with them, so I might switch both vehicles to another provider and put them both on the same policy. AAA looks great.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmajor View Post
Thanks, I'll definitely be checking out AAA. I insure my other vehicle with State Farm, but haven't really been satisfied with them, so I might switch both vehicles to another provider and put them both on the same policy. AAA looks great.
Yeah, State Farm has never really been competitive when I've obtained quotes. I'm the kind of person that if my insurance increases more than a little bit..I'll start shopping. I've had AAA since 2009, I think. Directly before that I had Nationwide for a couple of years, and before that had Allstate for many years.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Second the vote for AAA. If you already have AAA membership, there's a 5% discount on the car insurance. Also the multi-car discount. I've had them for awhile now.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
If you already have AAA membership, there's a 5% discount on the car insurance.
Ah, didn't know they had this 'advantage' while competing for my business. Good to know .
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
danmajor

AAA quoted me at $96/month average, which is about the same price as all the other "big players" in insurance

I'm keeping each company's quote in a spreadsheet to compare. Gonna go for 10 quotes and then choose the best one.

Here's what I've got so far for average monthly rates -
AAA - $96
Allstate - $99
Amica - $97
esurance - $105
GEICO - $105
Liberty Mutual - $112
Progressive - $100
State Farm - $93

So far, the cheapest I found was from http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com, but they seem a bit small-time for be, and I'm afraid of their reliable, so I might stay away, but still, their $64/month quote was quite attractive

I think I'm just gonna stick with state farm. They seem to have the best combo of reputation and price ($93/month).. they also have an office right near me as well (this guy - http://www.wayneleone.com/ and he has a bunch of good reviews too)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmajor View Post
AAA quoted me at $96/month average, which is about the same price as all the other "big players" in insurance
A lot of this also depends on what area you are in and what coverage options you choose.

I had to have my windshield replaced this year (darn rocks kicked up by snowplow/salt truck). This was under AAA insurance. I was able to pick what shop I wanted to use, and only paid the deductible for comprehensive.

I've had other insurance companies and often times have found that they stipulate who you must use when something happens.

Every company is different, and everyone's interactions with those companies are also different.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I always buy the minimum insurance required for vehicle registration so mine runs one payment to Wawanesa Insurance of $272 a year which is only $22 a month.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Electric Insurance Company, really good insurance and the best price I've ever found.

www.electricinsurance.com

The cool thing about this thread is that quotes are FREE.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
A lot of this also depends on what area you are in and what coverage options you choose.

I had to have my windshield replaced this year (darn rocks kicked up by snowplow/salt truck). This was under AAA insurance. I was able to pick what shop I wanted to use, and only paid the deductible for comprehensive.

I've had other insurance companies and often times have found that they stipulate who you must use when something happens.

Every company is different, and everyone's interactions with those companies are also different.
Good points. I'm assuming the OP's quotes include comprehensive and collision. I have a high liability limit, and what mine breaks down to monthly is just under 40 % of the OP's State Farm quote but, like Tooter, I choose not to get comp and collision. I get a break for zero points, zero accidents, credit score, having multiple policies (homeowners, umbrella), etc., but don't get the break married people do. Different discounts for different people, different circumstances . AAA has different mileage tiers that generate different rates, but for low risk people (and possibly others) the difference is extremely negligible. One year I went up two tiers, and my yearly amount only increased six dollars.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
We have State Farm, rates are good for us, but I've had them for awhile and we have Home with them, also - They have really taken care of us over the years, VERY well
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
We have State Farm, rates are good for us, but I've had them for awhile and we have Home with them, also - They have really taken care of us over the years, VERY well
I also think which state a person lives in matters as far as which company might be best for a particular person.. In my case, Allstate was always the most competitive in California, then in Texas...almost the opposite. Insurance companies can have different structures (owned by policyholders, owned publicly by shareholders, etc.) and different insurance companies find different product lines profitable.....and I imagine the same would be true of different states.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I also think which state a person lives in matters as far as which company might be best for a particular person..
It gets a whole lot more finite than that; right down to the zip/postal code.

Company A > Company B in zip/postal X
Company B > Company A in zip/postal Y

At this level, rates are largely based on a company's portfolio, loss experience, and risk tolerance in any given area.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I always buy the minimum insurance required for vehicle registration so mine runs one payment to Wawanesa Insurance of $272 a year which is only $22 a month.

Greg
cant do that in some states. Michigan is a no fault state, so even if someone is 100% at fault and totals your car, the most you can collect is $1000. unless one drives a complete beater, minimum coverage is out of the question.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
YAlexRIs

Drives: Yaris SE 2014
Yaris SE 2014 here: 53$/month
YAlexRIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
It gets a whole lot more finite than that; right down to the zip/postal code.

Company A > Company B in zip/postal X
Company B > Company A in zip/postal Y

At this level, rates are largely based on a company's portfolio, loss experience, and risk tolerance in any given area.
I knew that zip code was a key 'dial down', but I didn't know why. Your explanation makes perfect sense. A couple of years ago I was making a deposit at a bank in Yarflana's neck of the woods and was chatting with the teller. She and her husband lived about halfway between the bank and my house. She said they were planning to move to my zip code (which is in a different county) because of - 1. Lower property taxes/better feeling about what (overall) those dollars are funding (when compared to their current house) and 2. Lower cost for homeowner insurance (she had already compared my zip code to theirs and to other zip codes in my county).
Old 11-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

I was just looking at a Texas government website (for unrelated information) and happened to see that the current minimum insurance limits for Texas are 30/60/25 ($30k injury per person/$60k injury per accident/$25k property damage). Some Californians like to chide Texans/make fun of Texas re being the state with the highest percentage of people without health insurance. The last time I looked on the California DMV site (earlier this year, IIRC, re a Yarisworld thread) the limits in California were 15/30/5 (the same since at least the 1970s). I thought the Texas limit was lower than the current 30/60/25. I wondered if the Texas limit had been raised very recently. Perhaps some national minimum that I hadn't heard about? Remember, in the past there was a mandatory 55 speed limit in order to keep getting federal highway funds that states had to contend with. I decided to take a look at the California DMV site. I had to use the search field, rather than links from the home page. I did, however, find the information. The limits are still 15/30/5. The next time I hear a Californian bring up (likely commenting on an article with a political bent on Yahoo) the health insurance factoid, I'm going to bring up this car insurance limit difference and see what kind of reaction I get . Got to be able to tease the people in my native state!

Tags
auto insurance, insurance, insure, toyota, yaris