Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
BensVitz

Drives: 2001 Mazda P/U
It's Final... EPA Estimates

Well, maybe I'm just a little odd, but I've been waiting for the EPA's website to list the fuel economy estimates for the 2007 model year vehicles. They were posted today !!!

Here's the link: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Enjoy,
Ben
BensVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
manual:
city:34
hwy:40

auto:
city:34
hwy:39

Nope thats not a typo, auto gets the same city gas milage as the manual.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
5 speed is still better
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #4
AestheticalFilm

Drives: Ford Taurus...ew yeah i know
the only reason why im not going to be getting the 5 speed is this.

im expecting the yaris to last around 8-10 years, and i think when im 30, i wont look at shifting gears as a fun/nice way to drive, more like a hassel
AestheticalFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
You sound like your a teenager with that type of post lol.

I didn't even learn to drive a manual till I graduated college.

Granted I am 27, but I simply cannot picture myself purchasing an auto unless I had absolutely no choice.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticalFilm
the only reason why im not going to be getting the 5 speed is this.

im expecting the yaris to last around 8-10 years, and i think when im 30, i wont look at shifting gears as a fun/nice way to drive, more like a hassel
OMG. Bud if you think you'll be old and feeble by 30 then half of us on here are just that. I love my manual and I drive in traffic every day. I may be a slight exception, but I don't think I'm dead yet...

PS just turned 31.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #7
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I have been driving for 30 years. I still love shifting gears. It makes sense in a yaris hatch.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
AestheticalFilm

Drives: Ford Taurus...ew yeah i know
heh, i am a teenager, only 19 here.

im not saying ill be old and feeble, my past two car have been sticks, i drove a civic hatch, and mazda miata. i love them both. but having gone from driving a manual to driving an automatic sedan, ive realized that i can relax alittle more when im driving especially when it's in traffic.
AestheticalFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticalFilm
heh, i am a teenager, only 19 here.

im not saying ill be old and feeble, my past two car have been sticks, i drove a civic hatch, and mazda miata. i love them both. but having gone from driving a manual to driving an automatic sedan, ive realized that i can relax alittle more when im driving especially when it's in traffic.
I agree and I am 49. Unless you have a muscle type car and open driving, a manual is not the way to go (IMHO). Nothing like city driving with many lights to hate the manual.

My gripe is that majority of cars built are AUTO so the auto option should not be "extra" and the manual (less made) should be the add-on option.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
I'm 31 and I wouldn't own the Yaris if I couldn't get it in manual. The manual is a full second faster to 60 than the auto, and the car wouldn't be nearly as fun to drive in an auto.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
At 63, I still prefer a stick-shift - same goes for the wife. A/T on a small car is just too inexact/sloppy/gutless. The only minus with stick would be on steep hills, but there is always the parking brake.

I was only able to test drive an A/T Yaris Sedan before purchase - would have not been happy with it. The stick on our liftback is great.

We had to accept an A/T on our 2006 4Runner (no choice anymore, anyway) to get a vehicle with the needed towing capacity. It's A/T does a pretty good job of holding the RPM I want, in the gear I want to be in.

Lou
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I'd buy an automatic in a heartbeat ... if I had a leg amputated.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i'm 32 and still love to drive a stick (that won't change), i think especially with a small car, you want to get as much out of that little engine as you can.

i have driven a few auto yarii and it isn't the same, although, i thought it was still surprisingly peppy
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #14
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
(at nearly 50...) I considered getting a stick 3-door Yaris, but settled on auto. Almost all of my driving is on the Los Angeles freeways and I couldn't imagine all that shifting and clutching.

I'm teaching my 17-year-old son how to drive, and (for him) learning how to drive a stick might swear him off driving for all time.

The second gear right below the D3 on the auto is very well placed, ergonomically, and has served brilliantly for downshifting.
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
BensVitz

Drives: 2001 Mazda P/U
I knew what the EPA estimates were for the Yaris. Just thought you might like to see what the estimates were for OTHER 2007 vehicles. I think it's interesting.

Ben
BensVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #16
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun
(at nearly 50...) I considered getting a stick 3-door Yaris, but settled on auto. Almost all of my driving is on the Los Angeles freeways and I couldn't imagine all that shifting and clutching.

I'm teaching my 17-year-old son how to drive, and (for him) learning how to drive a stick might swear him off driving for all time.

The second gear right below the D3 on the auto is very well placed, ergonomically, and has served brilliantly for downshifting.
I understand the thing about traffic problems in L.A.. My brother lives in san diego with his family. And I go down there once a year to see him. I have to time it going through los angles and san diego so I don't hit traffic jams. Its a pain driving in a traffic jam with a manual which I have with my yaris. So I'll probably time it so I get to his house in the later evening next time I visit.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #17
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
Its still a matter of personal opinion , I prefer the automatic and my Yaris sedan is coming in this week and its an automatic. I prefer them bc of hills, and city where I live the auto is better for me.

But, lets get this topic back to the real deal the Fuel that this little car is going to get me I hope ? :) 39 and 34 is sounding sweeter and sweeter!!!

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #18
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Hey Film, I felt the same way about getting older when I was in my twenties. There are times when being 55 sucks, but it sure beats the alternative. Actually I am probably in better shape now than when I was 40.
BTW my Yaris RS is a 5-speed, and shifting gears is NEVER a chore in this car. I do NOT have to do much city driving though.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote