Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Looking Into Turbo

I'm trying to do my research before I even commit to going turbo. I'd rather go turbo than supercharger, just my preference. However if turbo is too much of a hassle I'll back off. Looked around and everything is a little shaddy and reading different things here and there. Here are my questions:

1.What parts of the xa/xb 1NZFE GREDDY turbo kit can be used?
2.Can E-manage plug and play work with the stock ecu for 7psi?
3.Can you use any plug and play for the yaris?
4.If plug and play can't be used, I assume AEM standalone is your only option?
5.Will anything need to be done to the motor if you are running 7psi?
6.What is the general price of everything needed for 7psi?(directed at you garm, I am assuming you have done the most research, I am looking to spend 4k roughly)

My goal is about 150whp give or take, and I'm not trying to complicate things and make some super race car. I just want a good amount more whp for daily driving. By next spring I'll have wheels, coilovers, exhaust, brakes, seats, ect. I am already expecting to spend 1k on gauges and about 6k on everything else but the turbo.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
First off, plug 'n play and piggyback are two different things. Piggybacks are units (like Emanage) wired to the stock ECU and take over certain functions (like fuel management, timing, etc.)

They are wired by hand OR come with a "plug 'n play" harness so they just plug in.

Some of your questions have to do with using plug 'n play, so I though I would clarify what the words mean first.

Next, who is going to tune your car? A turbo on a Yaris is a custom project by definition (there is no "plug 'n play" kit, yet). Someone will be doing wiring, installing and finally tuning. If you don't have someone pro to do the work, you're not ready to start (unless you're going to do it all yourself).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
dude,

search

use it.

this has been beaten into the ground.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ never mind him. Some of us are perfectly willing to answer questions, even if they have been covered before.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Most likely the manifold and turbo. Thats probably it.
It isn't plug and play. We think it can work.
Not to my knowledge.
Wire up a piggyback or a standalone. Not necessarily AEM. Megasquirt, etc.
We don't think so but there is always the chance it may blow up. As with any FI application on a stock block, boost at your own risk.
6.What is the general price of everything needed for 7psi?(directed at you garm, I am assuming you have done the most research, I am looking to spend 4k roughly)
You should be able to get away under 4 grand.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Garm, thank you for clearing up plug and play. The sad thing is that I meant piggy back but I was reading something that said plug and play and got the word stuck in my mind.

My whole concern is that if I can just buy the greddy kit and use the turbo, turbo manifold, and downpipe I'll be happy, that's all I'm really concerned about. I just don't want the car ripped apart sitting in a shop that I can only visit once or twice a month. I know a few places the tune cars well. I just don't know if being able to tune your normal import car means you can tune a yaris. Does it?

I know this stuff has probably been covered but I am to lazy to go more than a few pages deep in the search. I've read my fare share of stuff and it seems like no one has wired up a piggy back or really gotten into detail about it. Also soldering the right wires together doesn't bother me and the only thing I'd have someone do is make piping and tune the car. I helped my friend with hooking his turbo up to his civic, and he took his sweet ass time with the thing too. I mean is it even worth it to consider going turbo with everything that is known about the yaris so far?
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I just don't want the car ripped apart sitting in a shop that I can only visit once or twice a month.
Expect that. Then if it doesn't happen, you'll be extremely pleased.

Quote:
it seems like no one has wired up a piggy back or really gotten into detail about it
One sucess with the AEM FIC (I failed), chino's got management, Tamago had management. And then there are all the overseas guys with Yaris turbos that seem to run quite well.

Quote:
is it even worth it to consider going turbo with everything that is known about the yaris so far?
It's a project and not many have done it (with the Yaris in the USA, to be clear). Are you prepared for glitches, challenges and snags before she runs right and works as a daily driver? Can you be without your car? For how long before it's not worth it to you?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Is got to be worth it. A 100whp Yaris is fun to drive now imagine a 150whp yaris? It should be a blast with an upgraded suspension and brakes...

I'm going turbo myself... if you take your time looking for the parts you can do it for cheap.

The scion Greddy and HKS kits are also a good option! The manifold and the turbo will work on those kits... the downpipe wont't mate with our stock exhaust. You can either modify the Dp or modify the exhaust. My guess is that wold be easier and cheaper to modify the exhaust.

Another option... check out the 365motorwerks xb kit. http://www.365motorwerks.com/completeturbokits.aspx

That seems to be a great looking kit for the money. Definetely a better bang for the buck than the Greddy or HKS kits...
You could talk to them and remove the parts that won't work like some of the piping, the FIC pnp harness, the injectors (you can get 2AZ or 2ZZ injectors cheaper). You could also ask for an unfinished downpipe so you can finish it and make it fit.

The AEM FIC is the best piggy back out there... if people can tune a boosted yaris with a greddy blue... then the FIC should be able to do the work.
There are a couple of members who claim succesfull installations... they just don''t post much about it. But I have been in contact with a couple of guys and I'm confident we can make it work...

Go for it.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
rkvin21

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
I wouldn't buy a turbo kit for that much money just for the manifold and turbo. You can get an xB manifold from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...QQcmdZViewItem(its a little out of date but shows newer items of the same) pretty cheap and I've seen this one website where you can buy lots of turbo parts(cheap piping from what I know) from http://www.max-redline.com. You can even find the same turbo that Garm has for around $1000. I will be going along the same route as well and reading this forum has taught me a lot of valuable information on forced induction. When I make my turbo set up I will be only starting with 6psi and no management. Don't know if anyone has tried this yet but I figured that the supercharger is at 6psi and I believe some members don't have management so I don't see why not. 4k is definitely plenty for a turbo. If I had that right now I'd be boosted within the week lol.
rkvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

I'll bet if someone called one of these shops and pitched the idea of creating some piping to make them fit the Yaris they'd budge. It would be minimal R&D on their part and would solve a problem we've had. Its time we had a go-to turbo kit.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Just my 2 cents.

Most probably just the turbo, manifold, oil pan, E-Manage unit.

If you opt for the E-Manage Ultimate there is a plug and play harness for 1NZ-FE however thats only JDM ECU, not too sure about USDM.

If you go E-Manage Blue instead, you'll have to do custom wirings.

Haven't seen any in the market so far. But if you plan to use Haltech Platinum, Vipec or Autronic I can try to get the wiring diagrams for you.

AEM standalone is highly possible, we have a couple of Yaris here running Haltech Platinum Sport standalone, Autronic SM4 standalone and a Vipec V44 and V88.

I'm currently boosting 9 psi on stock internals, but i've got my custom pistons and connecting rods ready for engine rebuild. Been running for a year+ without any issues so far.

I spent more than 4K USD, but thats just me.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Tamago

i say buy the HKS kit that's been talked about off and on in this very forum.

that + meth injection and you don't need any extra fancy piping. it's a more-complete kit than the greddy
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ +1, that kit looks better to me too.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

<chant>Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it</chant>
Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
<chant>Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it</chant>
<chant>doitquickbeforeyoutotalthisonetoo!!!</chant>
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Hey, don't steal my hypothetical HTML tags you a-hole.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it's XML, you can define whatever tags you want!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
That is a great suggestion...

Stage 0 turbo plus a Meth kit. This you could do for real cheap!... imagine the spool up of that turbo with virtually no pipes...

You could probably get around 140whp lag free @6psi... perhaps even more depending on the turbo you choose...

Let's see:

GT25R $900
Revhard Mani $200
AEM Meth kit $400
1zz/2zz injectors $75
Blowoff/ by pass valve $75 (if you use a bosch diverter)
Downpipe $?? couple hundred?

Around $1800-$1900 for an operating kit. Could be less if you choose a cheaper or a second hand turbo.

Nice to haves:
Wide band Innovate/AEM $200
Boost gauge: $50
AEM FIC $400

And good to go!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote