Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
babytic

Drives: Cute-as-a-bug
Rear Shocks Replacement? Water Pump.

(First Post.) I have a 2007 Yaris Liftback bought new. 88,000 miles. Never had any problems except AAA Auto Repair, (Camelback Phoenix,) told me my water pump was leaking. They say its a "Corolla/Yaris" issue(?) They tried to show me with a flash light, but I never could see the green crusting indicating a leak. They also said the whole pump needed replacement. I though you could replace a gasket or something. Now they say one rear shock is leaking and therefore they suggest replacing both rear shocks. $500. I said yes and then called and cancelled. I have never owned a vehicle that needed shocks replaced. Did I just get lucky? I figured when I am jouncing down the road, that would be time to replace the shocks, but $500 sounds expensive. No? I have never had brake work done and the mechanics always think I have new brakes. Did I get lucky?
babytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
I'll meet you at a rest stop on the Turnpike and install my like-new rear shocks for you, while you wait and sip coffee, for considerably less. PM me.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
babytic

Drives: Cute-as-a-bug
By the time you get to Phoenix ...

... totally cool 'cept I moved to Phoenix. Just updated my profile. But, really appreciate the offer.
babytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Drives: 2007 Jade Yaris Sedan
$500 for just the shocks is expensive. I would say $250-300 installed using an OEM equivalent like KYB GR-2.

The coolant is pink so you would see pink speckling. The water pump must be replace as a unit. There you also have choices that are superior to OEM and cost less money.
Sirius-XM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think '07 had that issue with the water pump but not sure.

the struts are pretty easy to change by yourself. I think it is just a bolt at the top and one at the bottom. (I know it is just one nut and bolt at the bottom from a sway bar install, not sure about the top). I know guys that have done struts and springs for less than the dealer is quoting you though they did the install themselves.

brakes have a lot more to do with how you drive. My brother-in-law has a ranger that he finally changed the brakes on at around 150,000 miles but he drives a stick and slows down by downshifting. He hardly every hits the brakes.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
misolith

Drives: 2007
What's a good replacement for the rear shocks?

I'm looking for good performance and good economy.
misolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
repairpal.com
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
We have KYB OEM replacements and Tokico blues if you want to upgrade -- all in stock, and I am willing to sell pairs (front or rear separately).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote