Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post
yes, they will keep it parked there until it is changed. so usually you cant bring it in on its own, you have to take the whole car
Im not sure I understand that. So I would bring my car to a toyota dealer with the new gauges already installed? That's what I intended if that's the case.
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #20
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Im not sure I understand that. So I would bring my car to a toyota dealer with the new gauges already installed? That's what I intended if that's the case.
No, so you bring your gauges and they install them. They usually wont do it another way because they want to confirm the mileage isn't tampered with
Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #21
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post
No, so you bring your gauges and they install them. They usually wont do it another way because they want to confirm the mileage isn't tampered with

Oh I see that makes more sense. I'll call their service and see how willing they are. It's hit and miss around here on modifying cars. Old cranky techs around here don't like "working on the cars the kids have", no joke, I've worked at some dealerships around here like that. They're no fun.

That's very cool though that all this may work out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #22
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
I think a dealer would be reluctant to install a part you bring in yourself. They'd want to order it for you, for a big markup, then program and install it for you, for $$$$. And that's only if they're not upset that it's not the same type of cluster that came with the car.

Best of luck, though. I'm eager to hear what you find out.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #23
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
I think a dealer would be reluctant to install a part you bring in yourself. They'd want to order it for you, for a big markup, then program and install it for you, for $$$$. And that's only if they're not upset that it's not the same type of cluster that came with the car.

Best of luck, though. I'm eager to hear what you find out.

Disclaimer: it won't be for a while, need to save for parts, etc, but I will post here when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #24
Zerone
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 Yaris YR
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but have been doing a number of cluster conversions on different models for a long time.

With Toyota models the cluster odometer readings are stored in the cluster via an EEPROM.

The good news with Toyota Clusters (Unlike other models), is there are no vehicle specific programming required for cluster swaps.
(Eg Late Model GM and Ford models require VIN Code matching, Engine, Transmission, Option code matching, etc)....

Having a quick look at my 2012 YR Yaris cluster programming, the only configurable programmable bits seem to be Metric/Imperial Options (For Trip Computer display. Eg Km/Hr, Mph, Miles per Gallon, Litres per 100Km, etc)....

Soooo, to swap clusters on a 3rd Gen Yaris (Non Tacho to Tacho version for example), all that theoretically would be required is to copy the EEPROM data from the original cluster, to the new cluster. (Which would copy ODO reading, as well as the above programming setting)....

To do this, you will need,
1) An EEPROM programmer suitable for the EEPROM type. (Cost can range from tens to hundreds of Dollars/Euros/Pounds
2) A 3M SOP to DIP adapter clip (If you do not want to desolder the EEPROM from the cluster board), or a standard SOP Adaptor.
3) A little time / patience and some alcoholic beverage...

I just recently purchased my Yaris as a second car, and Im looking at playing around with a couple of things with it...
One such think I am toying with the idea of swapping the Cluster board and LCD with a Toyota Corolla 2012 Cluster. (To give me a temp gauge, and some other nice stuff)...

These clusters are as cheap as chips in Australia ($100 AUD) and are very common.
The cluster case is physically larger, but some of the parts are interchangeable...

Anyways, hope this info helps someone. :)
If anyone wants more information about cluster EEPROM programming let me know.
I have a GM/Chev/Holden Website with lots of information about this sort of stuff..

(Not linking to it as a sign of respect to the moderators / site owners, as this may breach their website linking rules)
Zerone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guages, swap, tach