Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
yuiedie

Drives: '07 liftback
From Hawaii to Cali

aloha fellow yaris owners. im seriously looking to relocate for a job from honolulu, hawaii to modesto, california, and i was curious to find out if any of you have had any experiences in that part of the state. ive lived in hawaii all my life and have been to the continental US several times for short periods of no more than 2-3 months, so i dont really have a grasp of what it is like to live there. any insight regarding traffic, weather and other info would be greatly appreciated. oh, and as a side note i will be bringing my yaris with me.
yuiedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
patrickla
patrickla

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
re: from hawaii to cali

hey hawaii-- first of all, if you're seriously planning to move to Modesto
after a lifetime in Honolulu, i strongly suggest that you visit Modesto
for at least a week or so. Modesto is not exactly the garden spot of
California. you will find it somewhat like the polar opposite of Honolulu,
i would imagine. i'm not saying Modesto is an unpleasant or bad place,
just that it's very, very different from anywhere in Hawaii. and as for your
job, do you have the option of moving back to Honolulu (or perhaps
some other location)? is your work such that you could find a similar
job with another company in another California city, or another state?
do you live alone or have a family that would be affected by such a move?
if you live alone, and are adverturous and carefree, then maybe moving yourself and your Yaris to Modesto might not be as drastic as i suggest
it might. hey, good luck! patrickla (i have driven a Yaris sedan that i
special ordered fron Japan last June, and i sure do love it!)
patrickla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
yuiedie

Drives: '07 liftback
thanks for the feedback! i have done research regarding living conditions in modesto and i definitely understand it will be very different from hawaii. myself and my gf (and pet cat) do not plan to live in modesto for a lifetime. it is just a stepping stone to move out of hawaii, and the fact that i have a job if i choose to relocate is a plus. ive read the crime statistics online and it seems to be fairly high compared to other areas, especially property crime. but like anywhere else, there are good and bad areas. we have always planned to move to the "mainland" from hawaii as it is just too expensive to raise a family here. hawaii has great weather year-round and crime is low, but limited jobs opportunities and extremely expensive rent prices really discouraged us in our plans to buy a home and raise a family. hawaii is a good palce if you like outdoors and going to the beach, but me and my gf hardly do any of that stuff haha, so its not like we're going to miss it. its still up in the air if we're gonna go through with the move, but if we do, i cant begin to imagine the culture shock we're gonna experience.
yuiedie is offline   Reply With Quote