Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Uzairlexus

Drives: 2010 toyota yaris manual
Exclamation My 2010 yaris is on its 4th transmission!! Help please

So i bought a slavaged yaris and after driving it for a month i noticed when a downshift in to second gear the transmission makes a grinding noise i took it to toyota and they said it needed a new transmission and i got a 1400$ estimate but toyta replaced as they didnt know it was salvaged and it was under warranty at a 50000 miles and it was 2010 so i was really happy because i got a rentel and they replaced the transmission, they hpw ever did inform me the i should i get a new pressure plate i denied it. About a week after the new transission no more than 300 miles on it the same thing happened again and i took it back to them they once again said that i needed a new transmission and this i got a new flywheel and a pressure plate out of pocket and they replaced the transmission again and the flywheel and the pressure plate. About 2-3 weeks after a new transmission the same problem came back!! I took it backa nd had it exchanged but about a month after the 3 rd transsmission blew up i mean it would go in to any gears. I had it towed to toyota they said we have to call in a specail toyota mechanic to lemon the car but when he came he noticed it was a salavged title and he voided the warranty and i had to take my car to a another auto repair shop i had a 35000 miles lkq transsmission replaced and i got warranty for it but the transsmission still grinds when i down shit into second unless i double clutch the doesnt mind replaceing it but i want to know why is this keep happening btw the shop is best friends so... I can get anything repaired ... I am located in fremont , ca
Uzairlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
This is a gearbox issue (AFAICT). One (or more) of your synchros may need to be replaced.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
^^^+1.

If they are indeed replacing your tranny everytime, then there must be something you are doing wrong insofar as shifting goes.

don't get me wrong, the reason i say so is if your clutch, pressure plate, flywheel are indeed new (replaced together with bearings and all), then there shouldn't be any issues with destroying your synchros. this, after all, seems to be a synchro problem--and should obviously go away with a new tranny.

...so having the same problem with different trannies is unlikely.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Uzairlexus

Drives: 2010 toyota yaris manual
i understand the transmission is bad but my question is why is this problem reoccurring i have shown it to many techs but no one can figure it out
Uzairlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Possibly operator error?
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Im not believing this.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Im not believing this.
Ditto.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Seriously? 4 transmissions? You're trolling us.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Im not believing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Ditto.
Totally agree. If this person is going through transmissions so much then it has to be a hoax or the person honestly doesn't know how to drive a stick. There is a known issue with the C50 and syncros, but hitting it that frequently is a bit much to swallow. I will be interested to see what is really going on inside my tranny I just swapped out in my car. I have spoken with at least a half dozen folks that experienced the same issues with their C50 that I did which is not being able to downshift, having to shift into 2nd and then up to first when shifting from neutral, and from time to time having to force into gear just about when upshifting. This was happening prior to me even boosting the car. Then there is the grinding into 1st after full deceleration say for example at a stop sign or stop light. This is with no load on the transmission being at a complete stop after decel. Regardless having this happen consistently if that is the truth sounds to me like total abuse on the transmission as well as short shifting possibly.

On that note, does anyone even make upgraded syncros for the C50? Would you just need to try and find instead the TRD transmission from the Vitz?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzairlexus View Post
...the transsmission still grinds when i down shit into second...
There's your problem. Downshitting.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
There's your problem. Downshitting.
That is a problem!!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Then there is the grinding into 1st after full deceleration say for example at a stop sign or stop light. This is with no load on the transmission being at a complete stop after decel.
This is what I'm getting pretty consistently myself. I think it has something to do with that "limiter" that gets activated at certain revs on 1st gear. Regardless of what's causing it, it feels pretty terrible.

Quote:
On that note, does anyone even make upgraded syncros for the C50? Would you just need to try and find instead the TRD transmission from the Vitz?
I would very much like to know this as well.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
This is what I'm getting pretty consistently myself. I think it has something to do with that "limiter" that gets activated at certain revs on 1st gear. Regardless of what's causing it, it feels pretty terrible.
Yes, there is a mechanism which prevents you from downshifting into 1st too soon, but it is a poor design when it actually still prevents you from downshifting into 1st gear when at a stand still. The gears in your transmission should not be operating still at a velocity that would cause grinding at that point. I have discussed this with several folks now that build transmissions (unfortunately never a C50) at length and they all feel it is design flaw. I have even had a couple of them now ride in the car and shown them. The newish tranny that is in the car now that I picked up from Shragen which has somewhere between 20-30k miles on it has not exhibited any issues thus far. I have put a little over 1k miles on it in the last few weeks. It works like a hot knife through butter....*knocks on wood*

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown transmission, help!, transmission