Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Question 2 maintenance issues

So I'm due for my 2nd maintenance service now at 9400 miles. This includes an oil change and "cabin air filter change". I want to save a buck this time and just do it all myself. With that said, I got a couple questions:

1. Is there a better oil out there than whatever the dealer uses? I wanna try something different this time. Please list the pros and cons (if any) of your choice(s) of oil.

2. Mine doesn't have a cabin air filter, I checked today. I did my research and found mixed feelings about it not being installed in the first place. Some say it keeps the fan motor from overheating. Others say it was a manufacturers mistake and it should be there to keep pollen and dust out of the cabin. So what's the right answer? Do I or don't I need a filter?

Thanks

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
your going to get a lot of different answers on these questions. my opinion is if your going to change oils, go with a 5w30 synthetic oil and good grade filter. as far as the cabin filter...get one, cant hurt :)
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Fair enough. Any good brands you recommend (for both the oil w/filter and cabin filter)?

And I guess I can just get the cabin filter and see what happens. But if I smell smoke, I'm blaming you LOL

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Not sure what the dealers in 91732 use but here in Montreal its Castrol GTX or Mobile1 if requested.Just had my cabin filter replaced after 24000kms and it was very dirty,i'd recommend a trip to 91732's local auto parts store to acquire one.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

Drives: 07' Polar White sedan Base
Send a message via MSN to CpKi1g3 Send a message via Yahoo to CpKi1g3
all i can say don't go for regular oil go with synthetic i use to run with Royal Purple and due to short on money cause of school i got regular it doesn't run the same at all. any synthetic oil should do oil filter Bosch does good but its $10 but got to filter out those particles. cabin filter i don't know nothing....
CpKi1g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
personally i use and suggest royal purple oil and a trd filter (made by k&n but $3 cheaper through my work than a k&n). the cabin filter is genuine toyota.

you can also go with castrol synthetic and the oem filer (local dealer here sells them for $4 for non trd filters, or a decent filter such as fram or equivalent. as far as cabin filters, any one should do. i found toyotas to be the cheapest.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I got the filter from O'Reilly's Auto Parts for $8.99. Not for sure if you have that chain in your area or not.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
If it money that you want to save, DYI is the way to go. I use Castrol GTS that I bought on sale at Checker for $0.99/ quart and filter bought on sale at Toyota for $3.95. Each oil change costs me $8. Using a non-synthetic oil, I'll still get 200,000 miles. Check your engine air filter and tire presure while you are at it.

There is a great thread on making your own cabin air filter. This will cost you less than a dollar each.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
I use Mobil 5W30 synthetic with a Mobil oil filter. I change every 5000 miles. I put a toyota cabin air filter in to catch anything before it gets to the fan.
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
2. Mine doesn't have a cabin air filter, I checked today. I did my research and found mixed feelings about it not being installed in the first place. Some say it keeps the fan motor from overheating. Others say it was a manufacturers mistake and it should be there to keep pollen and dust out of the cabin. So what's the right answer? Do I or don't I need a filter?
I think the myth that putting a filter in will cause problems is complete BS. For one, it is a paper filter and no different that the type used in numerous HVAC systems. The rumor that it causes any extra strain on the fan motor is bunk. Someone posted this in a previous thread on the cabin filter, and I think it is right on target...

Quote:
Toyota did not include the A/C filter because the filter frame will not fit due to the position of the blower. Toyota believed that if the filter frame could not fit, then the filter could not be installed properly. The frame and filter are an assembly unit. So, they just left it out! It's that simple as far as Toyota was concerned.

Unfortunately, the owners manual refers to the A/C cabin filter probably because it should definitely be standard equipment and it was assumed it would be... only later to discover the filter frame wouldn't fit. More unfortunately, the dealers know absolutely nothing about this situation and are totally in the dark when confronted with it. Seems to be a breakdown in communication at several levels.

I only discovered that the car had no filter when something from my glove box got sucked into the blower and began making all kinds of noise. Other yarisworld members have had the same experience. Indeed, it is a problem!

Thankfully, we at Yarisworld have found that a filter will in fact fit (with a bit of gentle massaging) and function quite well without the filter frame. It's a quick, easy, and inexpensive install.

At this point, we've learned that a Purolator filter #C38188 and Bosch filter #P3750 will fit adequately right out of the box.
My apologies to the author for not remembering who you were, but that was great information.

If you live in a dusty climate, as we do here in southcentral Texas, the cabin filter is an excellent addition if you don't have one. We not only have a lot of dust but allergians (mostly mountain cedar) which a filter will capture. I grabbed a Purolator and it went in with a little manipulation. It wasn't that hard. I have only had the car for a few months, so I don't know how much it has captured so far; but I plan to replace it at the six-month point and I am sure it will show signs of keeping unwanted particles, dust and other elements out of the car.

For such an inexpensive solution, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
If it money that you want to save, DYI is the way to go. I use Castrol GTS that I bought on sale at Checker for $0.99/ quart and filter bought on sale at Toyota for $3.95. Each oil change costs me $8. Using a non-synthetic oil, I'll still get 200,000 miles.
Kinda sounds like you're saying you get 200K between oil changes LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I think the myth that putting a filter in will cause problems is complete BS. For one, it is a paper filter and no different that the type used in numerous HVAC systems. The rumor that it causes any extra strain on the fan motor is bunk. Someone posted this in a previous thread on the cabin filter, and I think it is right on target...

My apologies to the author for not remembering who you were, but that was great information.

If you live in a dusty climate, as we do here in southcentral Texas, the cabin filter is an excellent addition if you don't have one. We not only have a lot of dust but allergians (mostly mountain cedar) which a filter will capture. I grabbed a Purolator and it went in with a little manipulation. It wasn't that hard. I have only had the car for a few months, so I don't know how much it has captured so far; but I plan to replace it at the six-month point and I am sure it will show signs of keeping unwanted particles, dust and other elements out of the car.

For such an inexpensive solution, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it.

Cheers! M2
That's probably the best answer I've gotten on the cabin filter. Knew somewhere I've seen a previous thread on this. Guess I wasn't typing in the right keywords. Suspected there had to be a reason Toyota designed a filter slot, even though they never used it. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna go ahead and pick one up today with the oil and filter and see what happens

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegerm View Post
I use Mobil 5W30 synthetic with a Mobil oil filter. I change every 5000 miles. I put a toyota cabin air filter in to catch anything before it gets to the fan.
Actually the filter is after the fan.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Funny, I had no trouble fitting the cabin air filter in. Got mine right at PepBoys (Purolator). I don't see how Toyota would think it does'nt fit with the "frame" or whatever.
I think it was just a cost saving measure and that most owners would never think to even check for this filter, instead just get it "changed" at the dealer during service for about $59.
As for oil filters, go on Ebay and pick up a case of 10 Genuine Toyota oil filters for about $40. Buy any synthetic, they are all fine, IMHO.
Remember, the car's body will probably rust out before the engine goes either way.......

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #14
SilverBack
Joey

It's done. Changed the oil using Mobil 1 synthetic with filter, then went to dealer to pick up a cabin filter. Local parts stores didn't have it in stock, and they would've had to order it from the dealer anyway. Installing it was way easier than first thought, since it was so floppy and bendable.

Next up is rotating the tires and seeing if I can re-tighten the e-brake without breaking anything

Thanks for all the tips guys

Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
If you want to save even more money, make your own cabin filters for a fraction of the cost. Bailout has a great DIY on this.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote