Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
aprilnroberts

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Car sputter and stall

2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Automatic:

I'm at a loss with my car right now. Not being mechanically inclined, maybe someone can assist and give input to my symptoms.

When coming to a sudden, complete stop (from acceleration) my entire car shutters. This is after full break is applied. This happens at least once every time i drive my car (dont know if that would have anything to do with it). Recently, coming to a sudden stop, the car did the typical shutter again. But this time, it completely stalled out. If i approach the same stop slowly my car does not do this.

I know its nothing to do with my breaks or rotors, those are in good condition. I was told recently that I need to replace my fuel sensor in my car. While talking about this situation to others, they have mentioned that it sounds like the stall may be a result of starving my car of fuel. I'm worried it has something to do with my transmission.

Im also noticing hard shifting, the car sometimes also revs high instead of shifting sometimes.

Backstory:

My car did not have these problems till about 2 months ago. I was in an accident where my car took damage to the undercarriage. The transmission and oil pan (amongst other expensive things) were replaced. They said no other damage was done to the car, I tried explaining to the insurance company about my current problems. They have said there is no proof that its a result of my recent accident.

What does this sound like to anyone else?
aprilnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It sounds like an automatic transmission torque converter issue, particularly with you also seeing the "flaring" (when the AT revs high in between shifts).

Pull the dipstick for the AT and wipe it on a white paper towel. Take a sniff to see if the fluid smells burnt and also check the color when you wipe it. It should be a dark purplish-red, and not brown or black.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
husaynkhan

Drives: new vitz
I've just changed my trans oil in my automatic vitz 2006 with 85000km on the clock, and while accelerating the car goes slowly and the car is having problem to shift itself. On hill top, i accelerate max, but the car won't go.

CTscott help please
husaynkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by husaynkhan View Post
I've just changed my trans oil in my automatic vitz 2006 with 85000km on the clock, and while accelerating the car goes slowly and the car is having problem to shift itself. On hill top, i accelerate max, but the car won't go.

CTscott help please
It sounds like you either did not use the correct transmission fluid (Toyota only allows Toyota ATF WS to be used in the Yaris) or the level is under or over filled.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
husaynkhan

In fact i was having the problem 2 days before i change the oil, that's what pushed me to change the oil transmission.

Yesterday , the change was done and the car has the same issue today.

Can you help me , any suggestion?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
In fact i was having the problem 2 days before i change the oil, that's what pushed me to change the oil transmission.

Yesterday , the change was done and the car has the same issue today.

Can you help me , any suggestion?
When you changed the fluid, did the fluid that you removed smell burnt or have a brown or black color to it?

With automatic transmissions, once you start having problems, it is typically way too late for changing the fluid to help.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
husaynkhan

Yeah it was brown in color, so what should i do now?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
husaynkhan

And yeah if i need to get in touch with you can i have an email address? where i know you can reply asap
Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
husaynkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
When you changed the fluid, did the fluid that you removed smell burnt or have a brown or black color to it?

With automatic transmissions, once you start having problems, it is typically way too late for changing the fluid to help.
What is the solution then, to overcome this?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
What is the solution then, to overcome this?
More often than not, when it gets that bad the solution is to replace or rebuild the transmission. You can further troubleshoot it and may find that it is a simple as a bad solenoid within the transmission, rather than something catastrophic. The service manual for the automatic transmission can be downloaded from the Micro Image forum:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
husaynkhan

Okay thanks CT
Old 03-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
husaynkhan

I dont think its the clutch disc, since i've made only 84000km with car and its not a racing type car.

Now tell me something, if i go to a repair unit and ask them to diagnose via computer, since lets take for example its the solenoid, will the error be detected on it?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I dont think its the clutch disc, since i've made only 84000km with car and its not a racing type car.

Now tell me something, if i go to a repair unit and ask them to diagnose via computer, since lets take for example its the solenoid, will the error be detected on it?
If it is an automatic you don't have a clutch disc.

With a Toyota Techstream diagnostic tool they would be able to see if there are any error codes logged related to the transmission.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #14
husaynkhan

Yeah its an automatic, well you are awesome dude, great to have known a guy like you.
Myself Husayn from Mauritius, okay i'll have it diagnose at the dealer this week. Let's hope its a simple thing, yesterday i tried the car, and above 40km, the car started going well, with very very short lagging between shift. Though i didn't want to but push it more till 100km.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
husaynkhan

Well, i pray its a minor thing

Tags
help!, shutter, transmission