Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

Sad the idiotic fugly Big Mouth Billy Bass face is not an april fools joke

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...k-photos-info/
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Damn that's ugly!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #3
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
C'mon, we all knew it was going to have the patented iA fishface snout, just like the sedan version - and it will outsell the (now discontinued) authentic Toyota Yaris hatchback just like the iA/Yaris sedan does, because 'more modern is always better'. At least it doesn't have a low-rent push-belt CVT transmission - but does still have the Mazda carbon-deposit prone straight GDI engine design. Still, except for the lackluster Toyota front-end, the car actually does have good shape/proporitions & rear-end (still not a fan of that alloy wheels design though). A lightly used 2018 Yaris SE in 2020 or 2021 is looking better & better to me, as I see what new models/features are being released in the U.S. market.

Time to change the name of this forum to Yaris-iA-Mazda2 World.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 04-02-2019 at 10:10 AM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
The actual Yaris is officially dead. Stupid Mazda garbage.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
No manual in the hatch!? Wtf?
Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
No manual in the hatch!? Wtf?
You would think that if only the sedan or hatchback would get a manual that it would be the (more youth oriented) hatchback, but I guess since the sedan already offers the manual (in lower trim levels only), that it was the easier choice for Toyota to just continue with business as usual as they add the Mazda2 hatchback in as an afterthought to fill the gap in their product line. Not even an SE or XSE trim is offered either, which would be optimal for a hatchback. Can't say that I am surprised though -subcompacts in the U.S. market only have appeal as budget-oriented economy or rental cars to all but a few who wish that our car market was more like Europe and/or many other regions of the world with their various niche/enthusiast offerings.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 04-02-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALISPEL II View Post
C'mon, we all knew it was going to have the patented iA fishface snout, just like the sedan version - and it will outsell the (now discontinued) authentic Toyota Yaris hatchback just like the iA/Yaris sedan does, because 'more modern is always better'.
yep

sad because im exactly the guy to trade my 2016 hatchback for one of these for my roadtrips

looks like i will be a one time only yaris owner
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Leegamer

Quote:
You would think that if only the sedan or hatchback would get a manual that it would be the (more youth oriented) hatchback, but I guess since the sedan already offers the manual (in lower trim levels only), that it was the easier choice for Toyota to just continue with business as usual as they add the Mazda2 hatchback in as an afterthought to fill the gap in their product line. Not even an SE or XSE trim is offered either, which would be optimal for a hatchback. Can't say that I am surprised though -subcompacts in the U.S. market only have appeal as budget-oriented economy or rental cars to all but a few who wish that our car market was more like Europe and/or many other regions of the world with their various niche/enthusiast offerings.

You're right. I was kind of hoping that the 2020 hatch would look nice, have a manual, and be cheap. My 2008 is nice, but I wouldn't mind something a little newer. No way I'm buying one of these...hopefully the next gen will be better and offer a manual.

Probably won't, but I can hope. Or I can wait a few years, pick one up and manual swap it.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
KALISPEL II

On a side note, looks like Arizona dealers aren't even stocking the XLE trim Yaris/iA sedan - just the LE trim. They did the same thing with the Yaris SE hatch in 2017-2018. I am pretty sure they won't even stock the 2020 XLE hatch here either. Dealerships aren't doing automakers any favors, with their various (& shady) practices. Wish they would find a way to get rid of them & allow automakers to sell their cars to customers directly through their own brand stores.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Dealerships aren't doing automakers any favors, with their various (& shady) practices. Wish they would find a way to get rid of them & allow automakers to sell their cars to customers directly through their own brand stores.
Wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately it will never happen. The current auto sales model is too well established. The auto dealer lobby is very strong in every state capitol and will fight tooth and nail to preserve the status quo. (Understandably so from their perspective.) Just look at the fight they put up over Tesla.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
And oh yeah that car is ugly! The Mazda version isn't half bad, don't know why Toyota insists on mucking it up. Just leave it as is and stick a Toyota emblem on it. Cheaper that way too.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #12
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I've read in this thread and elsewhere that the Mazda engine has carbon-deposit problems. If one wanted a NEW, compact/subcompact, "low cost," and "very" reliable car with manual transmission, what are the best bets?

Honda Fit?
Kio Forte?
Corolla?
Other?
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Leegamer

I love the look of the current civic hatch, but I wouldn't even consider it a compact car.

The fit is a nice looking car, but not as nice as the older generations. If I were to buy a new car I'd probably go with either the corolla hatch or civic hatch with a manual. They both offer good gas mileage and are good looking. I think I prefer the looks of the civic a bit more, though.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
yarisbug

Drives: 2010 1.4 d4d
Thanks for reminding me why I rushed out to buy the classic Toyota made hatch here in Canada. Got a brand new 2019 SE hatch 5-speed manual in blue. So far it's been fantastic. 'MURICA LOL - the reality is they will probably sell more of these and most sheep won't realize it's actually a rebadged Mazda. If I wanted a Mazda I'd buy one.
yarisbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I've read in this thread and elsewhere that the Mazda engine has carbon-deposit problems. If one wanted a NEW, compact/subcompact, "low cost," and "very" reliable car with manual transmission, what are the best bets?

Honda Fit?
Kio Forte?
Corolla?
Other?
It isn't a Mazda-specific engine problem in particular - it is just a flaw of the straight direct-injection engine design in general. Due to the design of direct-injection engines, additives in fuel are not able to reach/clean 50% of what they need to reach/clean in order to keep an engine running smoothly & deposit free. That is part of the reason why Toyota decided to mate both port & direct-injection together on their new TNGA Dynamic Force engines (2019 Corolla hatch, 2020 Corolla sedan, etc.), to solve that long-term issue. There are software tweaks that Mazda & others have done to reduce the problem with direct-injection engine carbon buildup, but it doesn't actually solve the issue. Basically, the engine needs to run hotter & at higher RPMs to help keep the carbon-deposits at bay, & slow the buildup process. If you want to avoid direct-injection, just visit the automakers website & look at the engine details to see which ones are multiport-injection, direct-injection, etc. More & more automakers are switching to them, despite the design flaw, because it boosts MPG numbers by a small amont & gives the engine a better power-curve - at least up until it clogs up, & then the reverse happens until check engine light comes on. Best way to prevent the buildup is to have the engine professionally cleaned of deposits every 40K for a few hundred $$$ a pop.

Latest Honda Fit is direct-injection (bad)
Current Civic Sport trim version is still multiport (good) - the others use direct-injection w/turbo (bad bad)
New 2019 KIA Forte is still multiport-injection (good)
2019 Corolla hatch & 2020 Corolla sedan uses a mix of port & direct injection (good)
current gen (2018) Corolla uses multiport-injection, same as the classic (now discontinued) Yaris (good)
All Mazda are 'Skyactiv' now & use direct-injection, included the Mazda2/iA/Yaris versions (bad)
Old 04-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
Leegamer

What does a "professional engine cleaning" consist of? Probably some seafoam.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post

Honda Fit?
Kio Forte?
Corolla?
Other?
I love the Corolla hatchback and currently own one. However, I wanted a small, basic, and simple car with a stick. Ended up buying a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage. It reminded me of my old Toyota Echo and so far I've been pretty happy with it.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
What does a "professional engine cleaning" consist of? Probably some seafoam.
I've read that it can be done with Seafoam to some success, or there is a more specialized professional process of blasting it out with walnut shell particles. Either way, it can be pretty pricey if you don't do it yourself somehow - & life is hectic enough without having to deal with unecessary auto-related headaches like this. I will stick to some type of regular multiport engine for gasoline vehicles personally & save myself the grief.

https://automotiverepairphoenix.com/...ld-up-removal/

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 04-02-2019 at 04:30 PM.