Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
roachslayer

Drives: 2013 SE
Tail lights keep burning out

My tail/brake lights keep going out on BOTH sides, replaced several times with the proper bulb. It's not a fuse issue. Anyone else experiencing this? (2013 Yaris)

I'm suspecting a design flaw, as seen here. If everyone experienced this, it would be an outrage, and further, this is grounds for RECALL given that it literally means you have no brake lights! But I'm not seeing any posts about this, and am confused how I ended up with the only "special" Yaris.

Look at these pics. Rain water is channeled down the frame and DIRECTLY into the light box. You can see the water trail here, the water goes right in between the frame and light assembly. I can open the panel, and water is indeed inside, around the bulb and wiring, etc!!!!

Nothing about this screams great design to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Image-7.jpeg (158.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg Image-8.jpeg (157.1 KB, 51 views)
roachslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Loose screws that pull the "light box" against the gasket against the body?
(assuming something like the gen 2 hatchback rear light assemblies)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
SECProto

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
no water or issues like that with mine. It's a 2012 and the water gets channeled the same way. Maybe there's a crack somewhere in your "light box" that is allowing the water in? Compare it with the other side that hasn't burned out for any differences.
SECProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
roachslayer

Drives: 2013 SE
No cracks. Just looks like a bad design. These light assemblies simply sit on the body with a foam gasket. Mine is not damaged, but apparently it leaks, so it obviously doesn’t work very well.

I don’t want to seal it with RTV or anything, so I simply added a little silicone tape between the body and the gasket in hopes that a little more material there might seal it. Could have made it worse. I dunno. But this is very annoying.

Easy to pop out, btw, in case anyone ever has to do this. Two 10mm nuts are obvious in there, but you then have to carefully pull it out from all the holding pins, AND it’s best to pop the bumper out of the way first too (no need to remove it, but at least carefully pull the bumper back from its clips)
roachslayer is offline   Reply With Quote