Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
camry desludge

working on my friends father's car. Asked me to find out why his oil light was coming on, oil was topped off and after driving for 10 mins, it comes on.

removed valve cover and found out why, went ahead and pulled the motor and will be breaking this bad boy down and doing a good cleaning on it.

pics of day 1:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0898.JPG (223.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0899.JPG (221.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0900.JPG (216.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0903.JPG (211.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0902.JPG (235.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Mileage? Oil type used?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
ilikerice

has 107,000 miles, he did the normal 5k mileage services but went to quick lubes and used conventional oils.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
The gel like that comes when you miss the 5k spec by a lot. With conventional oils, 3k is cheap insurance against this.

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
ilikerice

yes, but its funny how Toyota maint. intervals for Oil changes is 5k, and doesnt specify to use synthetic. So any "Joe" will use the cheapest oil on the shelf and change it every 5k.. even if you take it to the quick lubes, they still use the cheapest on the shelf also so they can compete with other shops at $29.99 for a quick lube. He bought it new. Says he did all the required maint. on it since he bought it. He has no reason to lie about it. It was his first "new" car he ever bought. Not like he is trying to convince me under warranty or anything.

Talked to some toyota guys and they said the 2az had alot of sludge problems also. I worked at lexus, so I saw a lot of v6 3.0 with sludge issues. and this doesnt look any different then what i have seen.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I don't feel so bad about spending $10/quart for synthetic if it prevents this. Though I do have a 92 Miata that ran conventional Valvoline 10w-30 for 150K and it's as clean as new under the valve cover-but it did get the 3K mile oil changes done by me. Great Photos of this situation.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
My wife's Sienna (1MZ) has a similar appearance under the oil cap. We bought it used, but I know for sure that she has missed most of the oil change intervals. I'm sure it could use an overhaul, but I lack the skills/tools to do it myself.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
Oil way past its service interval right there.

Doubt even "synthetic" severly hydrocracked base petro oil would have prevented that.

Service intervals are there for a reason.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
so how do you clean it? and do you clean to spotless shine or you leave some of the sludge (leak protection from what i've been told). And won't it cause the seals to leak if you clean?
Odds are if he is doing a full overhaul, he is getting all the internal seals and getting what can be cleaned steamwashed, and blasting/degreasing the rest.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
Odds are if he is doing a full overhaul, he is getting all the internal seals and getting what can be cleaned steamwashed, and blasting/degreasing the rest.....
Yes and no. I am replacing all seals, i will be using brushes and a parts cleaner bath (not steam washed or blasting which would be a much better clean). Using pipe brushes to get the oil flow back to certain areas. I have not pulled the rod and cam caps yet. Will be replacing oil sump and pump as long as water pump while im down there.

again, I have done this many times before on V6 3.0 RX300 and ES300. Toyota states that when they disigned these engines they tried to save weight by making the oil passages smaller to make a smaller motor to save weight. Unfortunately even if you do change you oil every 5k with conventional oil, you run the risk of this happening. Not saying every 2az is going to do it. but the risk is higher.

I will take pics as I go because I am also sending them to the owner so he is also gets updates on my progress and understands whats all being done. Also he gets some cool before and after pictures. I am practicly doing this for free. All I ask if he pays for the parts. As long as I am not on a time restraint, I dont mind doing this stuff. Its fun to me.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I am practicly doing this for free. All I ask if he pays for the parts. As long as I am not on a time restraint, I dont mind doing this stuff. Its fun to me.
I wish you were my neighbor. :)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
I wish you were my neighbor. :)
I like to share my skills.. lol

been sick past weekend.. still am, hopefully will start breaking it down this weekend.