Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #145
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
i had trouble with this seller before, i won this for the first time for like $1 dollars plus shipping, but the seller refuse to sell it, so i give him another chance,
then he put it back up for bidding. and i won $76 dollars shipped. Great seller anyway.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #146
jamal1984

The kit works great, took less than 2 minutes for installed. Feel Greats. Way way better.

I can't wait for Chino replica, and don't feel like rushing him because he working on the Intake at the moment.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #147
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Chino, how many projects DO you have??
jeez! ;)
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #148
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
The kit works great, took less than 2 minutes for installed. Feel Greats. Way way better.

I can't wait for Chino replica, and don't feel like rushing him because he working on the Intake at the moment.
Does it actually change the hight of the shifter?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #149
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
Does it actually change the hight of the shifter?
it's just make the throw shorter. hope that is what you mean.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #150
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
it's just make the throw shorter. hope that is what you mean.
I realized the throw was shorter, but I was actually was inquiring about the hight of the shifter. The reason being is that I installed a similar unit in another Toy and it actually made the stick shorter then stock.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #151
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
height of the shifter remain the same its the travel of shifting thats shorter.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #152
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I realized the throw was shorter, but I was actually was inquiring about the hight of the shifter. The reason being is that I installed a similar unit in another Toy and it actually made the stick shorter then stock.
i think that you are talking about the shortshifter from one of sposor here. But Quick Shifter from TRD is keeping the height of the shifter the same. It's just add something to the gear shift linkage on the transmission below the battery.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #153
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I've fitted it!

It was dead easy to go on, all I needed was a pair of pliers to pull off the original retaining clip. It took around 5 minutes including parking up the car, so its a really quick and painless mod. The cost however is another thing, as it is an exceedingly simple solution. The design and finish of the part however is fantastic, it fitted up perfectly.

Initial impressions are that the height of the gear stick remains the same, which is good, because I cannot lower the seat further. If I was going to get lower seats I would chop some height off the shifter.

The throws are shorter, but due to less leverage, it also takes more effort to shift it between gears. But it feels more precise, and each shift feels more positive. The shortened travel also helps me with my rhythm in a heel and toe shift. Shifting up to 5th seems quite hesitant however, and I need to particularly concentrate on finding the slot for it.

I'll find out more over the coming days.

Last edited by cleong; 06-10-2007 at 12:13 PM.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #154
RUBBERDIPSTICK

Drives: Toyota Yaris Base Sedan
Just got my TRD quick shifter today...here are some pics of it outside of the car...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 9.jpg (82.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 10.jpg (79.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 11.jpg (78.9 KB, 173 views)
RUBBERDIPSTICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #155
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Wow, It's bigger than I thought.
Thanks for the writeup. Can't wait to have my NST version installed!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #156
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I have just installed last week a TWM performance short shifter with a Skunk2 racing shift knob in my 2007 Yaris hatchback. I'm 6'1" ,220lbs and have no problem reaching my shifter. I live here in Texas and TWM has very quick shipping from Canada. Great instructions for installation. Priced at $135.00 US to include shipping, still less than TRD's shift kit.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #157
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
I got mine installed the other day. The shifts are definitely shorter and feel more precise like mentioned before. It takes some getting used to. Perhaps the only thing I find aggrivating is the 4-5 shift. With the feel of the new shifter, a quick shift between these gears is nearly impossible. Overall, I'm happy with the sportier new feel. :)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #158
a old dude
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
TRD 5 Speed Quick Shift 2007 Yaris

started work on my car as dawn was breaking and got done just before 10 so it was almost 3 hrs.
I'm glad I went with the TRD but it was a pain. The instructions are pretty clear except the part that says Scion only. My car has a number of parts found in Corolla, Tacoma, Tundra, and Scion xD. Theres good photos too but they leave out steps I found necessary and helpful and they tell you to remove and install the cable brackets from underneath which is bull. you can see it but not reach it.
You need more tools and experience than suggested.
Basically you change the cable bracket and there is a Billet spindle that attaches to the trannys cable pivot & shift arm cutting the arms length.
I had low expectations because most the short throw shifters claimed 35% and the TRD Quick Shift said up to 30% difference. When I test drove mine though its more like 70%.
The shifter is pushed back about 60% placing it beside me at all times and then the shift difference is about 60% less. I measured before but the stick was pushed back so much I could not use that.
I just know no shifter I have ever installed was better and I did not replace the shifter itself as with the other kits.
My arms do look like I shoved them into Badger holes.
TIPS; Remove Battery
Use small blade screwdriver to break rust and crud behind cable clips and large square shaft to brace and twist to remove clips. It will also be helpful to tap clips back in.
Remove wiring harness from cable bracket remove its brace after you remove bracket and replace it after you install the new bracket.
Wear long sleeves.
a old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #159
axiom

Drives: 2007 Yaris
^^My sentiments exactly. I just bought the two piece kit from a someone here. If you're just replacing the small billet piece at the bushing, it's a 5 minute job. But, if you're changing out the bracket as well, it'll take much longer. I actually ended up going from underneath the car and getting my arms up around the transmission as if I were hugging it. I had to remove the three bolts by feel as there isn't an easy way to see them. The hardest part for me was getting those damn “U” clips off, they are stuck tight and not easy to get to. I removed the bracket with them still attached and then removed them with a screwdriver and hammer. My hands and arms are shredded as well. But it was all worth it, what a difference it makes!
axiom is offline   Reply With Quote