Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #19
YarisHatch

Drives: Blank
Send a message via AIM to YarisHatch Send a message via Yahoo to YarisHatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
if you want any real power on the yaris, just drop in a 2zz (1.8) motor from a celica or
a 2AZ-FE 2.4 from a scion tc, the stock yaris motor is not really good past 170 crank hp on boost without heavy internal block work

if you guys look into it, these swaps should really not be that difficult and they are inexpensive enough to find at a junkyard, plenty of aftermarket turbo kits for both motors with the celicas and tc's running around
^Prime example of what i was saying earlier, its not about the numbers. And zpi has pushed 181whp on their 8psi turbo kit, they have been running it hard the past 8,000 miles without any trouble. Its possible to make decent numbers if thats what your after.

The 2az is crap. The internals are a joke on it, it would also cause the yaris to have a very uneven weight dist. with that much weight added to the front end. Also, the 2zz is a better n/a motor than a boost motor. Not to mention, the transmission on the 2zz is seriously weak. One mis-shift on a boosted motor and you will cause minor to significant damage. Its been proven in the past with celicas. While i'd love to see a 2zz in the yaris as well, that transmission is a no no. N/a, you can make some good power out of it if your willing to take the time, and money to invest naturally aspirated vs. throwing down a few thousand for some easy power.

Another thing you might want to realize when you talk motor swaps, the yaris engine bay is pretty small. Its smaller than the xb's, and a 1.8l can fit in the xb but without some adjustments to the firewall. Putting a 2.4l would be a huge project, can be done but wouldn't be easy. Also wouldn't be practical because with the weight added, it would handle like crap and can even be dangerous, especially in the rain.
YarisHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #20
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
this is why they have 2az's with internal race mods pushing 540+fwhp on scion tc's
lol
all the 2zz needs is a set of 9:1 comp ja pistons, and you can run all the boost you need
anything can be done, if you know what your doing
if I could push 600+hp out of a neon, im sure u guys can play a little bit with a yaris and actually get a little bit of power so leave all options open to play
just need some proper fuel management and tuning so you dont blow your shit up and some $ for a good setup
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #21
YarisHatch

Drives: Blank
Send a message via AIM to YarisHatch Send a message via Yahoo to YarisHatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
this is why they have 2az's with internal race mods pushing 540+fwhp on scion tc's
lol
all the 2zz needs is a set of 9:1 comp ja pistons, and you can run all the boost you need
anything can be done, if you know what your doing
if I could push 600+hp out of a neon, im sure u guys can play a little bit with a yaris and actually get a little bit of power so leave all options open to play
just need some proper fuel management and tuning so you dont blow your shit up and some $ for a good setup
Yes, the 2az can produce numbers well but they have a ton of issues with boost early on boost life. Also, the motors you see that are 550whp+ are hardly counted as a 2az, infact jotechs 600whp tC doesn't even have a 2az in it. The most i've seen with an actual 2az is around 350whp, which yeah thats impressive but i've seen more than enough evidence of the 2az not worth it. Not to mention, i have personally seen the 2az broken down and the internals are pathetic.

And as i said before, all that extra weight on the front of the yaris would kill a daily. heh
YarisHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #22
wlfpck

Drives: 91 cb7
i say just modify the xb turbo and strengthen the engine. It should hold up to 8psi? strengthen it a little and get it running at 14psi and u should be set. Of course... you could be very original and go like 34 psi. but don't blow up.
wlfpck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
think outside the box...

Nothing against what everyone is attempting to suggest, but maybe you are all thinking too modern. Has anyone considered a 4e-fte yet? When you take a look at what that powerplant has done for the starlet/tercel/paseo, then when you really bounce the costs of using the current 1zz or even the powerplant out of a tC then how can they compare? There have been people that have been able to push 300 horse out of the 4e and have been very happy with how strong the whole setup is plus the times/numbers. You don't have to push 500+ horse to have a tight ride...that would be for someone that doesn't know how to work behind the wheel ;) Sure you have to pick up more parts, but I am willing to wager that you might be looking at 5k for a good solid setup with the newer options ya'all keep talking about. For that kind of flash you can do all you need with the 4e and prolly have a little left over. The biggest hurdle I would see is the front wheel drivetrain and the wire harness, but that can be achieved....just look what BYP has done for example with a 4e in a Tercel? Before someone says it I am fully aware that the 4e is a direct bolt-in on the 'cel...I have a 96, but this still must be abel to be done with some old fashioned ingenuity. Just some food for thought. Once I am done with my 66 Honda 305 motorcycle that is what my next project may be...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
Take the $4,000-$5,000 you are going to spend to TRY to get 130-140hp and buy a used V8 mustang or camaro with 300hp and be done with it. This is a 2nd gen ECHO ecnobox not a sports car. The only fast things on the road with 100hp are called m-o-t-o-r-c-y-c-l-e-s.....

Edit: seriously if you going to spend that $4-5K in mods just buy a mini cooper S instead of the yaris.

Last edited by weeze-dog; 06-28-2006 at 08:37 PM.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #25
Bates
I had no Choice

Drives: Yaris RS, Mustang, Explorerer
I just joined this forum. I bought a Yaris an hour ago, I still don't have.

Brake rotors are drilled to let the gas, produced by the heat in the pads, escape into the vented center section, otherwise the gas can produce an unwanted pressure in the wrong way, holding the pad from the rotor surface. Keep reading

I'm with weeze-dog, I bought this car cause my 89 5.0L sucks too much gas and has a tendency to break down. now I'm forced to make it into a track only car
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #26
weeze-dog

I had a 92 5.0 Mustang 5-speed in 2001-2003 as a fun car. I paid $4200 for it and it had a rebuilt motor, off road exhaust, and was already lowered. That thing was a beast, I loved that car. 350ft-lb of torque! Also had an ecno geo as the daily driver.
Got rid of the mustang cause I found the large amounts of HP causes you to do stupid things like drag racing, burnouts, and modding (HP is addicting).
I swear every honda with a fart can always wanted to race me. And like George Bush in a spelling bee, they didn't have a prayer
Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #27
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
not yaris, but example of engine mod for little car...

engine mod (swap) for smart...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...385808&q=smart
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...471450&q=smart
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 PM   #28
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
thats about the coolest thing ive ever seen...
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #29
weeze-dog

Pluuuuulllllleeeeeeaaaaaseeeee, 13.40 quarter mile in a Ferrari F430? He obviously can't drive, cause that is HORRIBLE. A stock late model camaro can do 12.90s with just an exhaust and a good driver. He bogged it off of the line bad.

For the record road and track got 11.7 in the quarter mile in their F430.

Link

I believe they say every tenth of a second is one car length, he should have been 15 car lengths ahead easy. Guy in the smart better be glad he didn't wreck cause that thing was gutted so much it had the strength of an aluminum can.

You want to see impressive, watch the video of the turbo mini-van pulling a wheelie off of the line and beat a V8 transam. Now that was impressive. Too bad I can't find that old video anymore.

Edit: Ah Ha, here's one of the videos. This van runs a 12.65 in the quarter, better than the ferrari and smart car by almost a second. Now THIS is impressive.

Turbo Mini-Van

Last edited by weeze-dog; 06-29-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #30
bullitt3570
I've made a post!

Drives: Mercury Sable
Modz

Hey....To all of those involved in this ongoing debate....I'll say a few things and ask a couple of others...Because I certainly don't have all the answers. First of all, any car with modern technology and manufacturing standards( especially from Toyota) Should be able to handle a modest boost. Do all the comments by supposed experts about the Yaris "internals" not remember the most tuned car in America is a lowly previous generation civic. Jackson Racing bolt on supercharger anyone? Now is there a loss of duribility/reliability from this? Invariably, but Toyota reputation for bullet proof drivetrains seems to exceed that of the more advanced (i.e. Vtech), yet slightly more delicate powerplants from Honda. Anyway...internals aside...How about a low boost supercharger, intake, exhaust, coilovers, and remaping the ecu when all is said and done. Risk yes...Reward definately. Anyone who says go by a new GTI with 200 hp is missing the point. There is conservatively 5 grand in this approach, but as I have learned from other such projects,,,None of which have blown up,,,,You can do it in steps and thats half the fun.
bullitt3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #31
mikeukrainetz

I agree 100%. You can moderately boost the stock Yaris and will definitely holdup, not talking 6-8psi though. I dont understand this longevity idea though, why would stock cars have turbos and superchargers if the engines dont last? mind you they are designed at the onset for boost. Provided you drop the compression from 10 - 10.5 to at least 9 and with 3-6psi things should be great. I cant imagine at 150 thousand miles youll still be driving the car like you stole it so whats the big deal if theres some wear and tear at that point?
Ive built some hardcore NA chevy motors, mostly from the 70's and 80's so I have little to no experience in boost.
Has anyone here actually built an engine? or are most folks in the forum old enough to remember carbed engines or were you still in diapers when efi came out big in the eighties?

Still, at three grand for a turbo kit that at 3-6psi will only net you like 30-40hp on the Yaris seems like an expensive mod - makes the power to weight kick ass so maybe it evens itself out....
Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #32
weeze-dog

I'm just arguing the the topic of the original poster:

"Engine mods - why bother?"

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives rather than modding the Yaris for power. The HP per $ spent would be horrible (aside from nitrous).
All you will end up with is a $20K not-quite-mini-cooper S worth a blue book of $12K (or less). Yeah its fun, but trust me, nothing sucks more then trying to sell a car for 50% of what you have in it. Cause banks only loan money on blue book, supercharger or not. And people don't like to buy modded cars, cause most likely they had the crap beat out of them. And the quality of work done is always suspect. I ALWAYS look for the stock cars.

Stick to minor suspension, appearence, and ICE mods. I think the money would be more well spent there. What's appealing about this car is that it gets great MPG and is cheap. A $20K yaris that gets 25MPG won't be too appealing come resale time.

That's my opinion, and YMMV.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #33
mikeukrainetz

I dont think most people looking to add boost or high dollar mods are thinking about resale at all. Yaris is just a great base to start from - most everyone can afford to buy one new and put parts on it. People wanting performance right out of the box typically cant afford it, especially those looking to do small mods. Everyone keeps refering to the Mini, that car in my area used is 35 grand. I would kill the poor guy at the bank loan dept. from laughing too hard trying to pick up a car like that. I paid 17 grand for my Yaris, bit of a difference there.
If you want to leave the car stock great, if you want to mod it, great. I think in a couple of years the Yaris will be something similar to civics, there will be more cars than people to drive them and every car will have the same tin can exhaust and spoiler.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #34
weeze-dog

A new Mini S runs about $20K in the US, the regular mini is around $16K I think, before tax etc.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #35
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
I agree 100%. You can moderately boost the stock Yaris and will definitely holdup, not talking 6-8psi though. I dont understand this longevity idea though, why would stock cars have turbos and superchargers if the engines dont last?
To be honest it seems that the companies don't know what they are doing in general many times with turbos at least....case in point would be the leakage issues that dodge is experiencing with the SRT-4 2004-2005. Also subaru had some really bad luck in the 80s with the XT....I know that it is far from the 80s but those ones pop in the head quick. The people that I know that had/have those cars didn't drive stupid with them either and for example I know 3 peeps with SRT-4s that have between 15 and 25k with issues.

In reference to your other comment about being in diapers...I grew up in the eighties myself....I miss the old engines...that is why I have a big block 400 in my 60 Pontiac Bonne HD 2 door coupe I would take a yenko over rice any day....but I love my toyotas!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #36
mikeukrainetz

Problem with cars nowadays is theyre mass produced to cust costs, dont have a large amount of r&d and are built cheap. New car models ten, fifteen years ago didnt change as drastically as they do now between model years, a keeping up with the jonses kind of situation.
(The chev small block was produced in its same form from 55 to sometime in the nineties.)
Blowing gaskets isnt really new to boosted engines nor to NA engines. Poor gasket quality and cast iron temperature in older engines, warpage and tolerances in newer engines. I had a 99 malibu which was notorious for intake gaskets....

I still prefer old to new, the Yaris is the first import Ive purchased and I love it. I own a 70 chevy pickup with a mild small block. Next month or two I will be getting a third gen camaro to build. Also have been looking for a 66 lincoln continental coupe or convertible.

Yenko is great if you have a hundred grand to blow on a rare muscle car.

My favorite car to this day is a 69 camaro rs/ss. (watch the power block on spike tv they are building a convertible from a new kit)

Anyway, I digress.