Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Deshi Basara

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
Post Car Shakes during IDLE

Ok, so every time I am on IDLE my car vibrates, but only when the RPM goes down to <600. I have looked at the wires, change the plugs, oil and other things. I came up with NADA!! I'm hoping that someone has some sort of experience with this and that they can share it. Thank you
Deshi Basara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Slacky

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I had a similar, my vibration was evident on the front wheels. It came out that the issue was the front bushings. Replaced and no more vibration...
Slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Deshi Basara

I'll look into that. The vibration is not that bad, but it is concerning me because I just don't want it to break down. I really like this car.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
bairjo

The vibration is not that bad, but it is concerning me

Remove the batteries.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Your Yaris has early stages of Parkinson's
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If it does it when the car is stopped with your foot on the brake, try pulling the ebrake lever and taking your foot off the brake. CoryM pointed this out in another thread, and I noticed that my 08 was doing it. I would have expected the brake booster to leak vacuum all the time, if it has a leak, but apparently, it can leak only when actuated.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Seems like to me we need a little more information such as what status the car is at when you are at idle. Is it in Drive, Neutral, Reverse? With the brakes on or off? A/C on or off?

I know when I am at a stop light, in drive with the brake on and with or without A/C, the idle will fluctuate so when it drops, there is a little vibrating, but that is because the idle dropped, not because of something else. When I am at idle and in neutral, the engine purrs along just fine.

Are you hearing any noise from this vibration? Just need more details.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
It's normal for the yaris to idle a little rough. My car idles at 550rpm when hot which is VERY low for a small 4cyl engine. I had thought there was a tsb for rough idle which said basically "ignore it"?

CTScott, you may find if it is just a little worse when the brakes are on and idling low, the roughness is just because the extra load of the brake lamps dropping the rpm just enough to get rough idle.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
It's normal for the yaris to idle a little rough. My car idles at 550rpm when hot which is VERY low for a small 4cyl engine. I had thought there was a tsb for rough idle which said basically "ignore it"?

CTScott, you may find if it is just a little worse when the brakes are on and idling low, the roughness is just because the extra load of the brake lamps dropping the rpm just enough to get rough idle.
In my case, I was able to confirm it to the brake booster, as I had a spare one on hand and swapped it out. With mine, it was only with the brake pedal to the floor. If you let up on it a tad, the idle would return to normal.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
I've had the NST crank pulley installed and I definitely notice a rougher idle. As mentioned, I only really feel it when the car idles below 550 rpm. I asked the mechanic and he told me the OEM crank has a little piece of rubber in the middle which helps mitigate the vibrations whereas the NST does not.
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
dindy
metallic green vitos

Drives: 2002 toyota vitz. 1.0 auto
Send a message via MSN to dindy
ctscott is right, had a problem like this last summer, my car shakes a lot and it began the trigger the check engine light. replaced aiir flow meter, no help, then i replaced the idle control valve and idle was fine again , (please dont mess with idle control valve, i destroyed it by cleaning it with wd40 and carb cleaner, and costs me about 270 euros, original from toyota) later i notice a little shake when im in drive with the brake pressed. then i i let the car in drive mode and applied the handbrake and i depressed my brake, and no shakes!! i found out that my brake booster is going to hell. thanks for ctscott for help and cory too. listen to these guys, beacuse they know what they are saying :) cheers
dindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Deshi Basara

Well, it happens when I am in idle, brake depress, and in gear. I tighten all the loose ends already and I am still coming up with nothing. I don't really know where I am going now with this. I haven't checked the brake yet; so, maybe that might help?? Any DIY, pics or videos that I can get? Also, I don't hear any rattle or noise..just the vibration as mentioned.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
vadr45
vadr45

Drives: 2009 Base 3-door
I have had all these symptoms - idle dropping below 600 RPMs, a rough idle ensuing, then a bounce back to higher RPMs. Toyota blamed it on the previous owner and said he had by-passed a coolant line. I accepted the diagnosis, but the problem hasn't gone away. Surely Toyota mechanics have seen this one before?

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
2009 Black Base 3-Door Yaris
1950 Austin A70 Hampshire
vadr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
My car does it when on AC or on windshield defrost when not on recirc. It drops when the compressor kicks in.

Without ac on it idles fine.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadr45 View Post
I have had all these symptoms - idle dropping below 600 RPMs, a rough idle ensuing, then a bounce back to higher RPMs. Toyota blamed it on the previous owner and said he had by-passed a coolant line. I accepted the diagnosis, but the problem hasn't gone away. Surely Toyota mechanics have seen this one before?
5 Speed Yaris do it and it seems to be a normal behavior. AT Yaris should not do it, and only one of my 3 AT's did do it, and, as I mentioned above, I was able to track it to the brake booster and was able to resolve it.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I can add this, I had a 1990 Toy PU 4x4 short bed. Hanging out in the Toyota truck forums pointed out that. Pressing and holding down brake at a stop. Causes brake switch to kick down RPMs. The only remedy I recall is to take out brake switch.

Thus I do believe its a Toyota thing, I know CT Scott will correct me. I'm ready for the pain.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Deshi Basara

Ok.. So, now I noticed the yaris shakes below <550 rpm without pressing on the brake and clutch on complete stop. Yes, it only happens when rpm goes <550 and it's concerning the heck out of me because I can't figure it out for some reason. I really want it to stop because it is getting annoying. I changed the oil, tightened things up, checked the tires and lugs, and I am still coming up with nothing. Again it only happens when it's on complete stop and even on neutral when the rpm goes down <550..... :( so frustrating
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
If your car has a manual transmission, it is 100% normal. The idle is set really low to reduce gas use, and it'll vibrate like that every so often.

If you have an auto, I'd check the aforementioned brake booster.