Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
Intake Question

hey guys...i know that some-most of us here had came across with this type of question...i have been shopping around intake for some time already...and lately i've been having serious thoughts of buying intakes and i know that most of us here may suggest me to refer to microimage and so forth....but i had came across with an intake on ebay...and i am wonder the one i am about to post just in a bit...to see all of u guys to see if the ones on ebays do fit or not...here goes the web...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ntake&_sacat=0

please note...i haven't been on the forum for sometimes so plz bear with me here lol...i just need to know that if any of these blue/silver/black intake that cost real cheap will actually fit or not...
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
the blue one looks like a AEM Cold Air Intake knock off, so it may work but it also may have some restriction issues from the pipe diameter, other wise it will probably work fine, just don't expect quality, you will probably have to play with it a little to get it to fit just right. Don't expect a lot of gains out of it, you will still have to balance the air flow out of the car.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
walt101786

ok...thanks for the input :D...i still wanna know if anyone actually bought any of these knock off intake lol...if so may i see some pics pls :)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I bought one of them and it came with the wrong sized couplers. noting really fit right and the welding was horrible. It is still in my garage as I would be worried that some of the shoddy welding would break free and end up in my engine...seriously. I ended up getting the AFE from garm. I think mine was like $50

sorry, no fancy pics of an install. My experience may not be common as it really sucked.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
Save money buy a K&N drop in. You don't need an open intake to suck all those dust in to the engine.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
walt101786

i had K&N drop already...but do u guys think i should just save it and get an after-market exhaust instead? i saw this DC muffler in pepboys...its the same one that sells on microimage except the fact that its only the muffler but not the axle back....i figure i could spend that 50$ and take it to a muffler shop and get it done...what u guys think...
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
walt101786

by the way..the muffler that i had saw in pepboys is the same exact pic that i am bout to post...except like i said, just a muffler and not axle back exhaust...lol i figure i can get it for $50 and take it to a muffler shop and make it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-SPORTS-07...2bf356&vxp=mtr
Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
If you are going to a muffler shop anyway, just have the entire exhaust from the resonator back changed to 2-2.25" and really get some power. Many people change out the axle back part but you still have that dinky little 1.75" pipe from the resonator to the axle.

My setup was about the cost of one of those axle backs and is mandrel bent. I did have to put it on myself though I have friends with welders. It isn't all blingy crome but I really like it.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt101786 View Post
by the way..the muffler that i had saw in pepboys is the same exact pic that i am bout to post...except like i said, just a muffler and not axle back exhaust...lol i figure i can get it for $50 and take it to a muffler shop and make it
I just did something similar on my Tacoma. Instead of buying a whole exhaust system I got a top of the line Magnaflow muffler off ebay and had a muffler shop install it.

Muffler + installation total: $128
And it sounds neato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrDcnSSa82Q
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
walt101786

Hmm...sounds good lol looks that will be my actual mod since the drop in filter lol
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If you come up to our shop and buy from us -- we'll install it for you. Just a thought.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
does this include.... anything? like maybe xB final drive and LSD?

and since you got it on the lift, I will go ahead and buy that Zage turbo kit too..
Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
walt101786

hey micro...so if i get a muffler...and then take it to u, and u will install it right?? does that mean u will weld the pipe as well? lol
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
walt101786

by the way...i saw the Nitto midpipe exhaust and notice its from Thailand...is it California approved? cus that midpipe looks pretty badass lol and i am trying to minimize cutting the original midpipe and get something that is legal and yet i am looking for a decent price with hardly sacrifice...if by all means if i have to then i might go down that route...just a thought in my mind lol
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt101786 View Post
by the way...i saw the Nitto midpipe exhaust and notice its from Thailand...is it California approved? cus that midpipe looks pretty badass lol and i am trying to minimize cutting the original midpipe and get something that is legal and yet i am looking for a decent price with hardly sacrifice...if by all means if i have to then i might go down that route...just a thought in my mind lol

If you are try to get the lowest price, you should get a muffler first. When you have the muffler, you take it to muffler shop and custom a piping.

I living in Cali and I had pass my smog check with DC header and 2' inch piping TRD axle back with no problem.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
just so you know the muffler I always see at the autoparts store is huge, it is about twice the length of the axle back muffler that I have one my car, just make sure that it is actually the shorter one or you will have a pain getting it put on.

MI was referring to buying the exhaust from them, the install time, and customer service you get from buying the axle back from them is worth it's weight cocoa beans.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Ebay car parts are kinda risky. Things like ball joints and stuff seem to be fine, but I just wouldn't feel real good about telling anybody to put any of that knock off stuff on their engine. I've had my AFe intake from Garm for several years and love it.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You guys are funny (and thanks for the kind words).

We do MINOR installs on customer cars, if they come in person and it's something basic like a sway bar, HID kit, intake or axle-back exhaust. It also depends on how hectic the day is.

Thanks to Jeff, I have a bunch of FR-S guys dropping by these days, which is awesome.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote