Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #73
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
OK, so I can go put 110 octane in it?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #74
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
whoah!!!

whoah easy there chino... might as well put sum jetfuel in there....i dont know how much tadvance timing can our yaris take though...check advance timing thru google.. maybe itll tell you... easy on the engine its only 1.5l....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
OK, so I can go put 110 octane in it?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #75
ChinoCharles
Banned

You said 87 or higher! Does it take 87 or does it take 87-93 or does it take 87 or higher?!

[]
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #76
marcus
toyota

87 or higher but the max here is 94 octane.. im assuming higher than 94 may not be good for the engine..but you dont really wanna do that do you..94 with proper advance timing will work ive run 94 on my celica and its fine.. faster acceleration..but uses gas like an alcoholic..
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #77
Go4th

Drives: Yaris S Sedan color Flint Mica
Why don't people trust what the engineers/designers of Toyota say to put in your car by what they posted in the car manual?

Don’t you think that they have already designed the car specifically for what they put in the manual?

You don’t think they have already done all the research that we are unable to do; that’s why there is always debates about it.

Look in your manual and find the cheapest gas station around and put that octane in there and save some money.

But if your bound and determined to waste money on gas for a non performance car that you should not be revving and zooming around town like you would in a 350Z then:
go to the gas station you like best (Chevron, Amoco/BP. Shell, CITGO, etc.) and waste the extra money on your reliable name brand gas that you believe in for the octane rated gas that is in your manual.

Just don’t waste it on higher octane because someone else has already researched it and is telling you in your manual what to put in your car.

And of course I am not speaking to anyone who has made engine mods…
Old 04-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #78
marcus
toyota

?????????????????????????????????

87->94...... we aint got any higher than 94....if it was me 889 is good any higher requires advance timing for you to benefit from it...

Quote:
You said 87 or higher! Does it take 87 or does it take 87-93 or does it take 87 or higher?!

[]
Old 04-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #79
marcus
toyota

oook!!

well as what we discussed b4 i believe you guys down there starts with 89 octane on the other hand we start on 87.. 89 is good no higher needed although higher octane extra boost again requires advance timing..company made theyre car to run atleast on 87 octane gas...if you ask me the cleaner the gas the better and i can tell you this 87 aint clean at all..that when you get all your deposit inside ur engine bro.. and shorten the life or ur fuel filter as well.....there is a noticeble diff between 87 to 89 but 89 - 94 requires advance timing to benefit for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
Why don't people trust what the engineers/designers of Toyota say to put in your car by what they posted in the car manual?

Don’t you think that they have already designed the car specifically for what they put in the manual?

You don’t think they have already done all the research that we are unable to do; that’s why there is always debates about it.

Look in your manual and find the cheapest gas station around and put that octane in there and save some money.

But if your bound and determined to waste money on gas for a non performance car that you should not be revving and zooming around town like you would in a 350Z then:
go to the gas station you like best (Chevron, Amoco/BP. Shell, CITGO, etc.) and waste the extra money on your reliable name brand gas that you believe in for the octane rated gas that is in your manual.

Just don’t waste it on higher octane because someone else has already researched it and is telling you in your manual what to put in your car.

And of course I am not speaking to anyone who has made engine mods…
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #80
marcus
toyota

ok update.. now all this info is based on an old car old engine..did a couple of research and found out that newer cars computer will adj automatically which wont matter if regular 87 octane is used or 89... mah bad although this does work on older engine thats why based on my own experience older engine benefit from higher mileage on premium..ecu not advance enuff to compensate for it.. so you guys are right 87-89 wont make a difference.. with the new engine...but still even with the new engine higher octane with proper timing will definetely make a difference...just dont know if computer will make adj as well....???????????????????
Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #81
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
yes our car can tell the difference between fuel grades... more premium gas gets better gas mileage... plain and simple... if you do not believe me just do it.... then you will know for yourself
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #82
marcus
toyota

???

i dont know anymore im just raising my post rate in here and ur helping me do it with your repetetive question..lolzz

Quote:

[]
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #83
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Just went from 87 to 89 yesterday and from the but dyno says the car feels better! I agree with Black Yaris better octane = better performance and milage. Anyone who considers the Yaris engine as only a bare bones economy engine needs to use a little more grey matter.....this is a 'small' displacement, precision, high output motor---compare it to any US of A motor (do they have VVT and 10.5:1 compression?), synthetic oil and quality gas definately help, not hurt this engine. A few people seem to have researched this, but most are just talking here. Eventually someone will use the scangauge and show some results, and I'm betting my gut feeling, backed by 30+ years of engineering experience and being a car nut since I was 10, are right.

Until then...its all BS
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #84
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
wow, i didn't think all this debating would arise. but yeah, i think i'll stick to regular for now, and "clean" it out with premium every once-in-a-while, or when it's "cheap". and of course, Chevron only.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #85
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Shell only here and 89+ on the octane
Old 04-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #86
Kaotic Lazagna

so the lowest grade you'll get is "plus"?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #87
Black Yaris
der Zeck

well every once in a great while I hit the 87 button on accident out of habbit from previous cars.... and car gets less MPG... but to answer your question, yes
Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #88
ChinoCharles
Banned

I only use jet fuel.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #89
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
well every once in a great while I hit the 87 button on accident out of habbit from previous cars.... and car gets less MPG... but to answer your question, yes
heh, plus is what i used to use in the GTI, and we use plus in the Camry.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #90
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I only use jet fuel.
heh, what about the fuel they use in Funny Cars? alcohol or something, right?
Closed Thread