Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
ChinoTake - Chinos Intake

I thought I would do you the favor of starting the thread on your behalf Chino! we are all not worthy!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Alpha, thanks buddy. You're a sunspot in an otherwise crappy day.

To the rest of you... sorry this is a novel, but I need to get my two cents in.

I ran out and picked up that Siphon magazine today. I was dying to get away from the forum atmosphere and just flat out read information. As I am reading it cover to cover I keep crossing this ideal... "community." It is repeated throughout that B segment owners are unusually tight-knit. I had to laugh, because today certainly wasn't the day that I felt this to be a tight-knit community. The reasoning could be argued over and over, but I think our friend Thomas nailed it when he made the observation that this particular set of enthusiasts is so vast and wide-ranging that it brings us at odds almost immediately. Some of us are here squeezing every mile out of every gallon and some are trying to squeeze every last available horsepower from our admittedly weak, underpowered engines. Whatever group you belong to, you own this car. That is what brings us here, and it lands us with one diverse crowd, which is at once a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because we get a unique opportunity to read about so many aspects of this car in such detail that I can honestly say I've never felt more educated about any vehicle in my entire life. In my 10 months or so here I have become a bonafide Yaris encyclopedia, and I know I'm not the only one. At the same time, some of us become too overzealous about our positions and begin persecuting anyone who disagrees. I'm guilty of this, and I'm surely not the only one. If it ends at one post, that is one thing. Everyone is free to speak their mind. When it becomes a game of cat and mouse across multiple threads and/or forums, it becomes trolling, and that is the kind of activity that ruins communities like this.

So sure, today I freaked out. I have poured hundreds and hundreds of dollars and hours and hours of my time into this intake project. Why? I'm not even sure to tell you the truth. The bottom line is that I bought a brand new car, saw a hole in the aftermarket and met a whole lot of people with some interesting abilities and connections... all basically within 6 months of eachother. Being a 21 year old go-getter, I saw daylight and ran for it. Will I make money in the deal? Who knows. Was that the goal of the entire project from day one? Hell no! I just want to give something back and do something cool in the meantime. Sure, its nice to point out all the nifty stuff you've done to your car, but how many people do you meet that can pop their hood and say "See that intake? I designed it." I know I have the pieces in place to make a product that is every bit as sturdy and nice as any other intake out there. I've seen them... these companies aren't using titanium piping or filters made of gold. Its all stuff you can pick up at Autozone. The thing that kills me is that these companies make these intakes by the hundreds and their prices are still sky high. Why? Because like any corporation, they're trying to make 500% on anything they sell in order to keep up with their sky-high overhead. Well, I have no overhead. I have one well-versed confidant that I intend on paying nicely and a couple friends to hook up, and past that the satisfaction of knowing I did something at 21 that most people would never be smart (or stupid) enough to attempt is all the payment I need. The savings get passed to you guys.

Knowing this, it should be no surprise that it is EXTREMELY frustrating to hear anything negative about what I am doing. There is no malice in any of my actions, and I don't wave it in anyone's face. I can understand if you don't think the product will be all that good, but it amazes me how some have literally gone out of their way to dump on my project. Shame on you people. At the same time, though, I'm not going to let a little bit of flaming stop me. Sure, it got me riled up to the point of making a couple stupid posts, but I still got off my normal job tonight and walked right back into the garage... with people like AlphaFox in the back of my head.

In the event I do end up making a buck or two on the deal, great! If I make a lot of bucks, even better. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to quit my podunk little job and hustle parts for you guys all day long. I'm a sweet talker with a bit of knowledge... not a ton, just enough to hold a conversation. I'm the product of two extremely successful salespeople, so selling my ideas is in my blood. I have a few great relationships with some spectacular people that work in all kinds of different niches in this huge beast of an industry we affectionately call "the aftermarket." All of these things are lining up at the same time... I'll either leave with a viable business venture or just another story to tell the kids. Either way, I love this car and I love this site. I talk about it all the time, so much so that a couple of my close friends have to laugh at me occasionally... but those same friends still smile every time they get in for a ride, just like I do.

My other thread is closed, and that seriously hurt. I understand it got out of hand, but that is 16 pages of posts documenting one of the weirdest chapters of my admittedly short little life. I would hope that we can delete the crap from the tail end of it and open it back up. It wouldn't even be right if I didn't get the satisfaction of closing that thread with a picture of the final product.

I'm sorry for losing it. Lets all try to focus on bringing this community up rather than beating it down. We've got some headwind going, and it would be a shame to see it go to shit now.

YARISWORLD FTW

- Charles

PS: Am I the only one that noticed that my mockup looks a lot like the intake that Tein Yaris was wearing in the mag?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Agreed. Props!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
you summed it up really good CC. i hope others read the thread and take into account their actions. i know i will...

good luck with your intake. i'll definitely be waiting for the finish product.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
You go CHINO!

The intake will speak for itself when its complete.

We all got your back buddy, keep on keepin' on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPell-chino.jpg (46.3 KB, 921 views)
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
well shucks... heh
I guess my constant nagging had an unexpected affect on Chino!

I really do appreciate all your work Charles, and am EAGERLY awaiting the intake!! heck, Ill even beta test it for you! lol
Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
I cant speak for everyone else, but I can tell you ill be ordering one. Just on the fact that you have put so much effort into the r&d. Keep it going.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Go Go Chino.
I've been eagerly reading the other post for info in the comings and goings of the intake, but having been nagging because I know of the pains of R&D to some extent.
Just relax and ignore the people who don't believe in you or your project: if they don't like the product, then they just won't buy it; if they buy it, they they have to like it. Short and simple, right?
I'll be ordering one intake, if anything, just to get your back like 07typeS (although I know that after all the sweat and blood you poured into this effort, It'll kick ass!).
Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
mucho respecto for chino
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Consider this a standing ovation.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
chino its kinda like peeing your pants... everyone looks at you funny, but only you feel the warm sensation hahaha (not that I know from personal experience :-X)
Old 04-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #13
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Way to go Buddy... WAY TO GO!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
I do have to agree with Chino that there is a wide spread of different kind of members with a bit of a short temper when someone dares to disagree with them. I sent a PM'ed to a member that I will not mention their name that took their attitude out of a thread and bothered me everywhere I went. And in this message I told him that this is just bringing the moral down of the community and I want to call it truths after he ATTACKED ME, I was being the bigger man to call it truths.

The member never responded to this PM. Well there is not much I can do after being the bigger man, maybe the stupid one you can say giving this person the benefit of the doubt. But whoever is damming Chinos work and dreams dude just chill out man. Im sure you wanted to achieve somethin in your life and us having 1 thing in common (our cars) why dont we all help each other. IDK some ppl on this site, this may be ur first forum and dont know how to treat ppl or they have been in a 1000 forums and think their pros and think they own it. You have to be neutral with ppl guys, just bcuz u cant see the person or dont know the person doesnt mean you can bash them. Trust me im sure there is a couple ppl on this forum that are 6'7 350lbs and you wouldnt dare to talk to them in real life like you if they were online.

All my friends make fun of me for this site because everywhere I go Im on here at school, work, home. Even the ppl at school that have yaris, I tell them join YW.com because I tell them its awsome it will help you out with any questions you have blah blah. We have to be advocates for this site not little witty attitude punks that think they know everything.

Everybody have a good night 2night, get drunk, party do w/e but have fun and be safe!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I have to appologize also. My attitute has been negative, sarcastic, and even rude at times. If I have offended anyone, I appologize. Chino, your intake looks good. I thought about doing what your doing because my brother has a full machine/fabrication shop, but you beat me to it, and now I just have to sit back and watch. I'm glad to see your doing it right.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
a group hug is in order! I agree that we bought these cars for different reasons, but at the end of the day we all own them. Lets support each other and only if opinions are asked for should they be given. Some like to rice, as it is said, some for MPG, and some have put a purpose to their cars and want to help others, GO FOR IT. I thank all the community for the insights, and bravery for the DIY's being first to try products, sponsors, and gadgets for the rest of us. There are a few guys, who I wont name for I wouldn't want to miss any, who just F...ing rock. I thank you ahaead of time for the knowledge you have shared.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Wink

I think it is a combonation of all the sweaty hairy testicles in this place that sometimes gets the best of all of us. I think we should take the sweat from all of our balls and concoct a truly potent serum that we can use to create the ultimate hatchbacks that cause our nocturnal emissions.

I love you all and not in a gay way but a guy way. I'll try and be a better jackass from here on out.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #18
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I think it is a combonation of all the sweaty hairy testicles in this place that sometimes gets the best of all of us. I think we should take the sweat from all of our balls and concoct a truly potent serum that we can use to create the ultimate hatchbacks that cause our nocturnal emissions.

I love you all and not in a gay way but a guy way. I'll try and be a better jackass from here on out.
Or better yet, lets work on getting some hot chicks in here
Closed Thread