Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
PCV valve check ; Can it be done this

way as described at this site ? Car in picture is Chevy Nova ( Corolla ) . http://www.ehow.com/how_6821472_tell...alve-bad_.html . Is so , can you leave the hole open where the PCV valve is removed from to the valve cover while the car is running . Hopefully not much oil would come out it . I know you can shake it to listen for the ball inside move ( rattle ) .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Ours in screwed into the valve cover and can be a bear to break loose. And, oil will sputter out if you run the engine with it out. Just pull the hose on the intake manifold and apply suction to it instead (with the engine off). It basically acts as a check valve, so you should be able to apply suction, but it will block if you blow into the hose.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Hershey

Thanks CT . I have removed it before to check it and it seemed fine. Looks like I will have to give it the shake test again. Yes it can be difficult to remove. Probably best to do this when the engine is cold. Can you put duck tape over the hole while the engine is running to keep oil from coming out to give it the suction test?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Thanks CT . I have removed it before to check it and it seemed fine. Looks like I will have to give it the shake test again. Yes it can be difficult to remove. Probably best to do this when the engine is cold. Can you put duck tape over the hole while the engine is running to keep oil from coming out to give it the suction test?
Just try the suck/blow test. With modern cars it is far easier and less messy. I just pull the hose off of the EGR, stick a piece of clean hose (I have a 3' piece of fuel hose that I use) onto it, blow into the hose and the suck on the hose. You should not be able to blow, but when you suck it should resist a bit and then the ball moves and you can continue to suck.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Hershey

OK , may have a hard blowing since I smoke . Better bring a phone in case 991 is needed . Local news : Man found unconscious in driveway after blowing engine hose . More details at 11 ! .
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK , may have a hard blowing since I smoke . Better bring a phone in case 991 is needed . Local news : Man found unconscious in driveway after blowing engine hose . More details at 11 ! .
If you start the engine when you are doing it, it will be like smoking a hookah.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Hershey

. Just remembered I have an extra PCV valve from another YARIS . How 'bout I put that one in after removing the one I want to test by finger . That way the hole in valve cover is sealed . Then do reverse to test the other . You following this or .
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
. Just remembered I have an extra PCV valve from another YARIS . How 'bout I put that one in after removing the one I want to test by finger . That way the hole in valve cover is sealed . Then do reverse to test the other . You following this or .
That should work.