Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
Drummy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatch
Part Recommendations

Looking for part recommendations to give me a little boost to my '08 Yaris. I've currently got nothing. Looking for a quick shift or short shift kit. Anything to provide a horsepower boost would be good too.
Drummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Hello

As others will surely chime in, some of the best bang for buck mods are actually in the handling department.

As for power adders, on this current yaris and my previous Echo... I found a full set of lightweight pulleys and an exhaust manifold ("header"), in conjunction with some form of intake mods, to give a discernible difference.

Some (including me) have also done a throttle body swap from a Corolla.

I bought some "short shift" accessories from MicroImageOnline while that was still operating, and although they've closed their website..you might still find some stuff from them (or others) on Ebay for short shifting adapters

Will

Last edited by 3cyltrbo; 01-14-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added content
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
trd makes a shifter kit. there is a few other brands out there. a 1zz-fe Throttle body is an excellent upgrade. porting the manifold to match the throttle body and modifying the angles also is inexpensive and beneficial. (i like doing this!)
rear sway bar is good, as the car is lacking one.
after that you are looking at spending larger amounts of money....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Drummy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
trd makes a shifter kit. there is a few other brands out there. a 1zz-fe Throttle body is an excellent upgrade. porting the manifold to match the throttle body and modifying the angles also is inexpensive and beneficial. (i like doing this!)
rear sway bar is good, as the car is lacking one.
after that you are looking at spending larger amounts of money....
Just purchased a Quick Shift kit from Micro Image on eBay. Currently at work. It may not say that I am online but I am looking.

Where would I be able to get a good Rear Sway and throttle body? Not looking for over the top prices but something that's going to perform well for the price. Looking on eBay I see a lot of pre owned throttle bodies but my concern with those is that they may not function as well as I'd like or at all. Any advice you could give?
Drummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummy View Post
Just purchased a Quick Shift kit from Micro Image on eBay. Currently at work. It may not say that I am online but I am looking.

Where would I be able to get a good Rear Sway and throttle body? Not looking for over the top prices but something that's going to perform well for the price. Looking on eBay I see a lot of pre owned throttle bodies but my concern with those is that they may not function as well as I'd like or at all. Any advice you could give?
UltraRacing / Cusco / Tanabe / TRD, all make rear end stuff.

As for the pre-owned throttle body, if you look closely enough you'll find one soo cheap that its an easy gamble (in-case it doesn't work). In fact, I bet you could call around to local scrapyards and find one (ie: from a wrecked Corolla) close by
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
yeah. local pull-and-save or junkyard. you should not pay more than $40 for one.
i have a whiteline swaybar. they are usually around $100 regardless of the brand.
you should at least port the manifold to match the throttle body diameter when you do the swap.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote