Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
greg-er

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
New Owner's Service Question

New to Yaris.

After getting my 2000 Honda Civic rear-ended and totaled, I came across and purchased a 2008 Yaris with only 28,695 miles on it. It’s a great condition base model hatchback with a manual transmission. It looks like it was a weekend shopping car. It was $8,900 US.

Because of the need to purchase with a quick loan from a credit union, I had to buy from a dealer. It happened to be a used car from the local Honda dealer which is part of one of those mega-car dealers that have branches that sell various makes (Honda, Chrysler, Volkswagen, KIA…) at various showrooms, but no Toyota dealership.

They offered me free tires for the life of the car as long as I bring my Yaris in for scheduled service at one of their various non-Toyota service centers.

Does this sound like a good option? - free tires!

Or would it be better in the long run to give up their free tires and take my Yaris to a nearby, independent Toyota dealer’s service center for regular service?

Thanks.

It’s been a fun two weeks of getting to know this pleasant little car!
greg-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
If your never going to buy aftermarket rims, and you would not be doing your own service anyway? I'd say it sounds ok to me.

I would not do it myself, as I do my own service, and like to run the best tires I can buy.

My tires cost $425. from Costco and I expect them to last 4~5 years. They are 90K michelin's, and the yaris is on the lite side.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
greg-er

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Thanks, UberSilver.

I'm not so inclined to do my own maintenance but am not so excited by always driving on cheap tires. I may just look for an independent certified Toyota mechanic in the area for service and get decent tires down the road.

Greg
greg-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-er View Post
Does this sound like a good option? - free tires!
I'd at least question them on what tires they are committing themselves to putting on the vehicle.

Tags
2008, new owner, service question