Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Cali Yaris, you have nothing to worry about, this thread is not going to be revived. Had I been able to take pictures, it's likely this this matter would have been resolved pretty quickly. I feel really stupid and embarrassed right now. I'll explain.

In the two weeks since I got my car back, I had only seen it under bright sunlight. I went out to my garage today in order to get an exact count of the dirt specks. Today, it's been cloudy and rainy for the first time in a while. Therefore, I was able to see my car under completely different lighting conditions.

Turns out that what I thought was specks of dirt was actually clumps of metallic pieces that formed little round balls. These balls slighly raised the paint above them To my untrained eye, they appeared as dust or little chunks of dirt sitting between the base and the clear. Under more muted light, I was finally able to see what they actually were. When I got picked up the car, I was told that it's impossible for a body shop to exactly replicate the way a robot at the factory sprays on metallic pieces in the paint. Therefore, imperfections are inevitable in a respray. In some spots, the metallic pieces look like black specks. But, now I can see that they also formed clumps here and there, and I had mistaken them for dirt when looking at it under very bright sunlight. No wonder the owner refused to re-do it. When he referred to one piece of dirt per square foot, he was probably referring to defects that can only been seen with a maginifying glass. I just wish the owner had spent a few minutes pointing out and explaining away all the imperfections. Looks like the whole thing was a breakdown in communication. I got angry over nothing, and I feel really silly. So, if anyone here owns a meterorite metallic Yaris and you need a respray at some point, have the body shop point out and explain the imperfections in the metallic when you get your car back. This way, you won't wind up fretting over nothing like I did.

One thing I'm confused about, though. The metallic chunks, the ones I thought were dirt, often appear far away from the site of the original scratch. I thought that new color/basecoat was only sprayed at the site of the damage, and then the whole panel is re-cleared. Or is the color coat sprayed on the entire panel? Could someone explain, in layman's terms, how key scratches are fixed?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body shop