Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
fantoma33

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
who owned a jeep?

I've seen a few people on this forum mention jeeps.

Last saturday I traded my jeep in towards a Yaris. While I'm sad to see the jeep gone I'm really liking the Yaris.

Who else out there is into jeeps?
fantoma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Had the pleasure of experiencing a Jeep TJ for a week while in Maui. Took it completely around island, which I wouldn't recommend, unless you've got a Jeep. Also, a bike helmet might be wise in case of falling rocks since top down is the only way to experience Maui. I also blasted up a 10,000ft mountain, in pitch dark (wanted to see the sunrise and was late for it). My portable navigation system was extremely useful since I could see how sharp the next turn would be and plan for it. I was surprised at how well the TJ handled the turns.

That 6-inline is perfectly suited for the TJ, with ample bottom end power. Plus, it could out drag the V6 mustang from the lights (top-down mustang, sebrings and Jeeps were the most popular rentals on the island)

I most have really liked the the Jeep, cause one afternoon, while parked-up overlooking the beach, I had some idle time and detailed the interior, something I have yet to do on my own car! If Chrysler could lighten that particular model, while maintaining the off road strength and put in a fuel efficient diesel (that's as good as the 6-inline), I'd make for an awesome formula.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
bnther36

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Had a Liberty, Wrangler, and a Commanche...loved everyone of them. As far as 4WD's are concerned, there's Jeep and then there's everything else. It's just to bad they get such crappy mileage. I drive 400 miles a week and it was really costing me a fortune to fill up. My best MPG in the Liberty was 19 where this wonderful little Yaris has gotten me 42+ twice. This I can afford.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
well the diesel will soon come....and the JK is awesome...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I am in Toledo, Home of the Jeep/Willy's Overland
Old 06-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Oh man, when I was 19 I had a 1980 CJ7, a brown one with gold hardtop, also had rag and bikini top for it.

I got over the jeepin thing pretty fast though! Replaced the starter like 3 times in the one year I had it! Good thing it could be started with a push or by parking on a hill Plus the gas gauge did not work, I ran out of gas all the time, the whole reason for carrying those extra cans on the back!

But damn that year I went places I could never have gone, all over Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona (no college til later, one of my harebrained schemes that actually worked out great ).
Old 06-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
2001 TJ Sport - There's nothing like top down and doors off... I thought I'd never rid the Jeep but it was a pain in the butt to keep clean and I had to park it outside, everything was starting to fade. 16 mpgs got old. But someday I'll get another one for sure.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I had a Cherokee that I thrashed to pieces. 5-speed 4.0 Sport with an exhuast on it and free-flow cat. It was fun to take off road in Pennsylvania.

We rented a Jeep in Kona last December and hit the off-road trail (road) around Mauna Kea. It was pretty fun!!
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
cj's, inline 6 & v8.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
dniloc2cv

Drives: Yaris hatchback 2007
Don't forget the Comanchee pickup. It was free/a 4 cylinder/= no payments
Wonderful work truck/hauling treasures.
Besides it fits my budget. Wish mileage was better thou.
Carl
dniloc2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
I drove a 4 cylinder/5-speed for 163K miles. It was beyond junk when I traded for my xB.

For the first 20K it was a good vehicle but time quickly took its toll. JD Power and other ratings have not shown much improvement over my 95' model but Jeep sells on personality much the same as motorcycles. I do like the new Wrangler and have actually seen the 4-door convertible with 5 speed/2WD for $21K! They can be cheaper that the 2 door Wrangler which comes standard with 4WD.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
My mom has a 99 Jeep grand cherokee....i haven't driven it for about 5 month.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
2001 TJ Sport - There's nothing like top down and doors off... I thought I'd never rid the Jeep but it was a pain in the butt to keep clean and I had to park it outside, everything was starting to fade. 16 mpgs got old. But someday I'll get another one for sure.
Agreed -- I was finally getting a little over 17MPG recently after getting rid of my knobby tires. I bought mine when gas was less than $2/gallon. If I had anticipated $3+ gas I don't think I would have bought it. It was fun while it lasted. I wanted to keep it as a "toy" but doing this didn't make any financial sense to me right now.

Top down was nice, but doors off was my favorite.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #14
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
That 6-inline is perfectly suited for the TJ, with ample bottom end power. Plus, it could out drag the V6 mustang from the lights (top-down mustang, sebrings and Jeeps were the most popular rentals on the island)
The inline 6 engine was definitely fun.

TO THE MODS: I just realized I didn't post this my original message in the "off topic" forum as I had intended -- sorry, that will teach me not to start threads close to 1AM
Old 06-24-2007, 02:50 AM   #15
davembfan

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I had a jeep grand cherokee laredo, i miss it so much but i dont miss the mpg
davembfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantoma33 View Post
The inline 6 engine was definitely fun.

TO THE MODS: I just realized I didn't post this my original message in the "off topic" forum as I had intended -- sorry, that will teach me not to start threads close to 1AM
Hopefully the questionable 3.8L that's replacing the 6-inline for the 07 JK isn't just another cost effective move on a Halo model that's responsible for keeping the companies reputation... It sucks that the diesel is only slotted for European market.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #17
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Hopefully the questionable 3.8L that's replacing the 6-inline for the 07 JK isn't just another cost effective move on a Halo model that's responsible for keeping the companies reputation... It sucks that the diesel is only slotted for European market.
well so far people are liking the 3.8L, but as always wish for more, also engine swaps are happening like crazy to these new jeeps the 4.7L, the hemi, and even the srt-8 6.1L has been done...

now that the cherokee has the diesel it to will be swapped in, and I predict a diesel for the jk very soon.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #18
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
Jeeps

I've driven a jeep my whole life, started out with a 85 Cherokee, then an 89 YJ, and currently a 01 TJ, I go off roading with my friends all the time and go to the truck shows with our jeeps every year. I bought the yaris cause my TJ only gets 11-12mpg.
Heres a pic.
Attached Images

Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote