Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
jess

Drives: 09 hatchback
Blind spots

An Australian report released Wednesday rates Yaris in the lowest 20 percent of cars for visibility blind spots.

Whatcha think?

My side mirrors are angled to see what is in those blind spots caused by the rear pillars so I think it's a non-issue.

Much ado about nothing or death on four wheels?

Of course some drivers feel looking at what's behind you is a waste of time while others are only looking in the rear view mirrors for light bars or black and white paint jobs.
jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
People keep saying this, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I don't have trouble seeing anywhere.

I drove my step-mom's sienna and that was terrible. I couldn't see anything..
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
The rear pillars make it difficult to see when you parallel park on the right side of the street (side mirror isn't enough) and there are other blind spots but I think I've developped ways to compensate by now, relying on the side mirrors much more and estimating distances instead of seeing them while parking.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Ed_

Drives: 09 2 dr, 5M, Yellow
Not a problem. I back into a two car garage that has 3 cars in it and it works fine. That's why they put mirrors on cars.
Ed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
I must say that the Thick A Pillars do block visibility. I've had close calls where I didn't see a car at a T junction because his trajectory and speed kept him behind the A pillar as I approached the intersection.

The rear visibility is poor for the sedan as the boot is high ( pretty much the norm on all cars now).... Rear parking sensors really help and to me is a must have.

Side rear visibility is pretty much on par with any other car. There is always a blind spot if a car is next to you just behind the passenger door. Mirror adjustment helps, but depends on what you're use to.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
dybbuk

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Really? Good god, when I first got this car I thought I was driving a convertible. My old 02 Grand Am had serious blind spot issues if you wanna talk about a thick A pillar. I used to have close calls pretty much everytime I was in a parking lot, haven't had one since I've got the Yaris(over a year now). My only gripe is the mirrors are a bit too small for me(I drive an E250 at work with the double mirror regular/convex setup), but, that goes for pretty much every car.
dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I almost hit a ped, cause the passenger A-Pillar decided to take up the size of her body.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

All cars have "blind spots." The Yaris is better than some, worse than others. Pay attention to what's around you.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
I feel like I have a lot of blind spots... I'm weird and feel like mirrors aren't enough and I don't trust them, I always have the need to turn around and head check, and always find my vision partly blocked when I do that.

Its not horrible, I don't regret the car, but I'm still not used to it after 3 weeks.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
All cars have "blind spots." The Yaris is better than some, worse than others. Pay attention to what's around you.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
I feel like I have a lot of blind spots... I'm weird and feel like mirrors aren't enough and I don't trust them, I always have the need to turn around and head check, and always find my vision partly blocked when I do that.

Its not horrible, I don't regret the car, but I'm still not used to it after 3 weeks.
I think it takes longer than 3 weeks to fully get used to it. You come from driving an old car with better visibility (me too), so for us it's not intuitive, we have to adapt. The poster who said "some cars are worse" is right! Coupes come to mind.

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Hell, I jump from an open Jeep into the Yaris and don't think there are any more blind spots; so I gotta also agree with Yaris Hilton's comments that it is "better than some, worse than others" and that you need to "pay attention to what's around you."

Sound advice indeed!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I find that I have less blind spots when I have a wider rear view mirror on...
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Is this the article you are referring to ?
http://www.countrycars.com.au/Editor...rticleId=62121

Seems they specifically mention the sedan.

Other one-star performers include the Toyota Yaris sedan, Audi Q7 soft-roader and BMW 1 Series.

The hatch while only scoring 2 out of 5 stars , is still in the same weighting as
Citroen C3 Pluriel (2 Door Convertible)
Holden Barina (3 Door Hatch)
Honda Jazz (5 Door Hatch)
Hyundai Accent (3 Door Hatch)
Hyundai Getz (3 Door Hatch)
Kia Rio (5 Door Hatch)
Mazda Mazda2 - (5 Door Hatch)
Nissan Micra (5 Door Hatch)
Peugeot 207 (5 Door Hatch)
Suzuki Swift (5 Door Hatch)
Toyota Yaris (5 Door Hatch)
Volkswagen Polo (3 Door Hatch)
Volkswagen Polo Gti (3 Door Hatch)

Here's a table with the results:
http://www.sgio.com.au/keeping-safe-...n-tables.shtml

Last edited by Ferret_san; 04-10-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added "stuff"... OK....Happy now....
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Speaking of blind spots and mirrors, does anyone else think that things appear closer than they actually are in the rear view mirror?

Maybe the Yaris is a magnet for tailgaters but it always feels like vehicles follow very closely, particularly at night when the headlights seem blinding. I mention the rear view mirror specifically because the side view mirrors seem to better reflect (pun! ha!) where objects actually are.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I can see what they're talking about. The B and C pillars are thick, but I think they offer more rigidity and safety. I've never had any problem with visibility, because I drive forward and not sideways.

Last edited by yaris-me; 04-10-2009 at 10:43 PM.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

They also contain air bags now. Can't have all that and skinny pillars, too.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
This prob sounds dumb, but the head rests bothers me a lot too. I don't know if its just taller or wider than my old car, but I feel like that is my biggest vision issue, not the pillar area in the back between windows. I can't crank my head around it I guess, I don't know.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote