Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
MAINT REQD light

when i start my car up, the MAINT REQD light comes on and flashes for about hmm 30 secs to a minute. then it goes off, and doesnt come back on. this only happens when i first start the car up. i looked in the owners manual and it says "engine oil replacement reminder light" and on p. 105 it says "replace engine oil". i doubt i even have 1000 miles on the oil in the car now, and i checked the color and oil level and it's fine. does anyone else's MAINT REQD light flash long after the others go off, and you start driving? on the sedan, its yellowish orange, and to the right of the odometer/clock
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
oktaren

Drives: 07yarisliftback04aveohatchback
mine always came on when i turned on the car, if that is what you are asking. when i needed to change my oil, at 5k miles, it stayed on at all times. then you change your oil and HAVE TO RESET THE SYSTEM. changing your oil doesn't do it on its own. you have to reset it using the odometer buttons, the instructions are in your manual. i had to do this today :)
oktaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
The light always comes on and flashes for a bit at startup, that's normal, just a lamp test and diagnostic. Now... if it stays on constant, you need to reset it as detailed in the Manual. If it flashes constantly and doesn't shut off, according to my Toyota service guy, well, Houston, we have a problem.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
badhabitz

Drives: yaris
Send a message via AIM to badhabitz
the maint. light will start blinking in start up and go away after if u dont reset it and keep driving the car it will eventually just stay on the way to reset it is if i remember is to use the odometer button and turn the key off and on off and on probably holding the od button i need to do a second oil change soon i got almost 8k miles
badhabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
It has to be set to trip odometer b first or something, I remember the guy at the Toyota dealership having trouble resetting it until someone walked by and told him how.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
I got confused reading the manual. Does it take 3.9 quarts or 4.3 quarts of oil?

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
jeffclough
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris, sedan, automatic
Maybe it's the Filter

I've just changed my oil, and I used "about" 3.5 quarts, but I didn't change the oil filter. I imagine the difference between requiring 3.9 and 4.3 quarts of oil is a product of whether you replace the oil filter. The filter might hold the .4-quart difference.

By the way, kudos to Toyota on placement of the oil plug. Very easy to get to.
jeffclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
wjt
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
1. open car door
2. put key in ignition
3. keep door open while turning key to “ON” position (not starting the car, just ‘ON’)
4. turn the odometer to “TRIP A”
5. hold down the odometer reset button and quickly turn the car to ‘OFF’
6. now wait 5-10 seconds and turn the car back to “ON” while STILL holding down the button
7. a few ——- (dashes) should appear and a countdown will begin and it will reset itself.
8. now your light is off and you can start your car!

found that you really only need steps 6 and 7. Hold down the odometer button while turning on the ignition. Then you will get the “—-” on the display. Problem solved!
wjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is a sticky related to this in the DIY section.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I've done all my own oil changes and it holds 3.8 quarts with a filter change. The maintenance light flashes for an extended period of time on start-up when you are with in 500 miles of hitting 5000 miles since the reminder was last reset. Once you hit 5000 miles it will stay on all the time when the car is running. It means nothing more than that. It only counts the miles since it was last reset-it does not mean your oil is low or dirty. But to reset see above-that's dead on.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote