Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #163
grchristoff

Drives: 2007 yaris
Devin,

Thank you every much for these part numbers. That helps immensely.

greg
grchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #164
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
I had these two lights come on last week, and ABS didnt work during that period. Yesterday I jacked the car up, took off the rear wheels and fixed it myself - I have only a basic knowledge of fixing stuff, the most Ive done on the Yaris to date is change front rotors/pads so no expert knowledge required!

Once the wheel is off you will see a plug - the only one you will see - on the rear of the drum near the axle. A small screwdriver is needed to push the plug (gently) off the socket and hey presto....Get cleaning! I used a compressed air cleaner like one would use on a PC keyboard to clean the snow/crap out then WD40 to clean. Cleared any excess off with the air again then put the plug back. Finally a little grease on the small gap between plug and socket and wheel back on.

I got in turned the key and drove off.... NO lights on.... ABS working as it should.

I suggest everyone do this BEFORE going to the dealer as it will save you a fortune. It took 20 mins to do both sides and is as easy as taking off the wheel!

Southern Ontario weather does cause problems to the little car, but this is a free fix... well free if you have cleaning products already in the house!

If anyone wants it, PM me and ill go outside and photograph the plug area for you... But I dont know how to post it on here so ill have to email it!!! Proof its easy to do eh?
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #165
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #166
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Sweet you know what, I think I will try that tomorrow. Maybe I will post a DIY.

Also wouldn't hurt to apply some dielectric grease on the connection ... maybe that would help keep out some of the grunge.

I'll see if crappy tire sells some.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #167
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
You can go to the DIY section and download the 2007 Yaris Factory Repair Manual. or go on line to http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/.
From there go to brake control or BC
for the front it BC 94 - 97
for the rear it BC 98

When i did it i was able to park inside a heated garage. Wash under the car to remove the road salt and that stupid anti-gel crap they spray on the roads here. That stuff is so bad for cars. It the same stuff they use on planes and if left on for a while can cause problems. Anyways once that is all clean. Disconnect the negative terminal, and start in front. I used contact cleaner it doesn't leave any residue and film. Clean the sensor and the chamber it goes into. Not sure if dw40 would be good for the chamber since i believe it need the fiction to tell the abs brake sensor whats going on. Do the same for the rear plug and apply dielectric grease on the connections. Iy should be good till the summer.

After doing this i found that it still comes back every once in a while, But when it very cold and the car sits outside for more that five hours. I thing it because the grease freeze and can't work as well. But after five to ten minutes the light goes out. or when i restart the car its fine for the rest of the day. I'm hoping it just a problem with the early models. If so maybe i can get parts from a 2009 or 2010 and switch them out, if there the same. Hope this helps.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #168
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgell View Post
... A small screwdriver is needed to push the plug (gently) off the socket and hey presto....Get cleaning! ...
This small step caused me hours of frustration last spring when I installed my wheel spacers! Argh!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #169
asiliat
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgell View Post
I got in turned the key and drove off.... NO lights on.... ABS working as it should.
Yep, ABS works again for me too. I used WD40 and then dielectric grease to coat the plug to keep salt out going forward. When I switch between summers/winters, I'll probably wipe and re-coat as needed.

Yes, definitely need a screwdriver. Pry the tab gently open at the top, and then push it out and away from the drum brake itself (I used the same screwdriver - flat head to push it out). Make sure to use WD40 or the like and soak it for a couple of minutes before trying to remove, minimizing risk of breaking the clip. It should make a small "pop" sound when it comes off.

BTW, I joined the forum JUST thank you for reporting this fix. :D
asiliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #170
grchristoff

Drives: 2007 yaris
This sounds pretty easy and straight forward. I plan on doing mine this weekend.
grchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #171
Spockis53
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I have a 2007 Yaris with ABS. The first rear ABS sensor and wiring harness needed to be replaced (under warranty) at 59,000km. And now the other rear ABS sensor and wiring harness need to be replaced at 80,000km. ... for $900.00 !!!

It seems these things are becoming consummables!
Spockis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #172
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockis53 View Post
I have a 2007 Yaris with ABS. The first rear ABS sensor and wiring harness needed to be replaced (under warranty) at 59,000km. And now the other rear ABS sensor and wiring harness need to be replaced at 80,000km. ... for $900.00 !!!

It seems these things are becoming consummables!
WOA OK first of all the parts shouldn't even come close to that $, your dealer is ripping you off like CRAZY.

I would first try the DIY here to see if that fixed the issue.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #173
mijemc

Drives: Yaris
Hej
I have a Yaris from 2006. I have it from brand new 30-3-2006. I am from Denmark
At 36.243 km. ABS VSC lights came on. fix by the dealer.
At 41.277 km. ABS VSC lights came on. fix by the dealer.
At 104.000 km. ABS VSC lights came on. the dealer say that there is no longer warranty on the car. Damm !
Today I am startet to do the things that figdell is telling, hope it works.
I will see if I can take some fotos today.

I hope that you can understand my School English.
mijemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #174
mijemc

Hej
I try the things that figdell is telling about, but no luck.
It a shame, becouse I like to drive my littel car.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #175
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
That is too bad. I hope it works for me when I try it!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #176
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
That is too bad. I hope it works for me when I try it!
Me too I still haven't gotten around to do it yet. I just bought a new torque wrench so I will be doing it soon.

Man I really hope it works.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #177
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
Just an update as its been a few weeks since I did "the clean"... Its been VERY cold and wintery (as usual) here in Barrie, Ontario. The lights remain off and the abs is still working, so I hope the guys trying this have some luck and save their money!!!

As for dealers just replacing expensive parts, this should ONLY be done after an attempt at an extensive clean - they cant be bothered to try and just want the money. Im sure many people have handed over the $750 or so when it could have been done with a half hour clean.

Good Luck
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #178
mijemc

Hej
I just think about Toyotas spareparts list. Do anyone know how to get the list, are the list on the Internet.
I want to see if the spareparts (ABS systems) are i others Toyota models. If yes, have there been ABS problems in this models.
It could be very funny to see, fore eksempel if there is a problem with the ABS system in a model from, from eksample 2004 , wich share the same ABS system as the Yaris. Why have Toyota not fix that problem before Toyota use the system in the Yaris. That will be a very good ? to ask Toyota about. If that is the case.

Hmm: I now the gramma sucks, but you are all over 18 yers, pleace do the gramma for this Dane.
Michael
Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #179
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
wow, i see more ppl complaining about this sensor problem than the actual brake issue from Prius and the sticky accelerator, and yet, we got not recall. That accelerator recall has been taken out of proportion for sure.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #180
Jake

Drives: 1997 Yaris Sedan
Add me to the List - ABS light and Explaination mark brake light on

Hi everyone - WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER TO GET A RECALL DONE!!

I did a separate post, but it should have been made here instead considering HOW MANY of us Yaris users this is happening to. Parts are backordered because of the SHEER VOLUME of sensors and harnesses being replaced.

I own a 2007 Yaris Sedan.

My brake light and ABS light are permanently on.
My brakes have been looked at, they are fine.

After paying the dealer over $100 to "diagnose" the problem, they deemed it to be my Right Rear Speed Sensor.

They say it is "seized", "faulty", "inoperable"
and recommend me replacing it along with the hub and Bearing.

The code used for the speed sensor is
CODE C0210 Right Rear Speed Sensor

Part to replace it with is
42450-52060, 89516-52090

suggested $925.40 parts and labor

just so we can compare notes....

Let me get this right. My brakes are fine, yet I need to dish out almost a thousand dollars because the speed sensor is telling me the brakes are "not" right?

The problem comes back in later years to be paid for over and over again, which shows it is a FAULTY part.

Toyota needs to make sure the Yaris is equipped to withstand snowy conditions without costing it's customers a fortune. I'm still making payments and shouldn't be having this type of problem in a fairly new car.

Right now I am just leaving the lights on, so ticked off!!

opinions anyone? How do you organize in order to find out how many people are going through this and get our voices heard for a recall?

thanks,
J
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote