Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #415
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Yup that is about right ...had a Yaris in with same problem Saturday will need new hub and harness price around 300$

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #416
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
That's a darn Shame. When I bought my 08 new I couldn't find one with the abs or the side airbags either. Now I'm glad I don't have it. Abs is pretty useless anyways..

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #417
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Connections are probably broken now. You'd have to check with small cheap sowing needles and a DVOM. Digital volt and ohm meter.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Yeah, that'll likely be the next step in the troubleshooting process Hopefully it's the rear harnesses and not the sensors pressed into the hubs...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #418
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
Yeah, that'll likely be the next step in the troubleshooting process Hopefully it's the rear harnesses and not the sensors pressed into the hubs...
if u can scan it ...if it shows both sides , take car for spin after code erased when code comes back see if both or just one ..this will eliminate the good one or one that can wait...main problem is that when u get the light ..code.. u have to replace both ( hub ,harness ) cos its the sensor that is 99% gone :( and that will involve a new hub...sorry.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #419
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Replaced the rear passenger side harness (the rubber boot looked terrible, broken up etc.), that didn't clear it. Disconnected the battery cable, not sure if that's required or not as I can't recall what I did the last time, still didn't help. I then replaced the rear hub w/ABS sensor, disconnected negative battery cable, and that cleared it. Wonder when the driver-side will go

Don't have a slide hammer so I improvised a pulley-puller by using two 5" bolts and nuts/washers and some spacers to remove the old hub, surprised it worked
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #420
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Just stopping back with an update. In April ('14) I reported that I had removed my sensor cables on the rear, cleaned them and put them back on. (I never did get around to doing the front.) Unfortunately, the BRAKE/ABS indicators did not go out and I just kind of resigned myself to leaving it that way for a while--maybe for good.

Well, about 6 weeks ago the BRAKE/ABS indicators turned off. Not certain the ABS is working again, but they are off. So, for a quick history:
  • My indicators first came on 12/21/13, but then went off the very next day.
  • On 1/27/14 they came on again and stayed on.
  • On 4/10/14 I cleaned the rear connectors, but the indicators stayed on.
  • Sometime in mid-July 2014 the indicators turned off again.
Weirdness. Hoping they stay off, but not counting on it. Still going to pop the fronts off and clean them before cold weather gets here.

Last edited by robkay; 08-25-2014 at 10:51 AM.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #421
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Digging up this thread. Want to share my experience, which I don't doubt comes from the same problem.

Went to visit the museum last Sunday. Freezing rain, hurrah! Lots of slush and salt downtown as usual. Then, much like all the Torontonians who posted here, I got in the car, started pulling out of the parking garage, and wait, what? An (!) and (ABS) at the same time?

That night, found this thread, took a chance and pulled the rear sensor connectors and blasted the contacts on both ends with CRC MAF sensor cleaner, for lack of other cleaning spray. No dice, errors still stayed on.

Well guess what? Just this morning, like 30 minutes ago, driving down to the office, with error lights on as usual, I was pulling into my parking spot, and, wait, where are those lights? WTF? Just when I was starting to get used to seeing them...

I'm sure I should do those diagnostics per CTScott's info, there must be a dodgy contact somewhere.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #422
robkay

Drives: Hatch
In my case it was exactly the slushy/salty scenario that seemed to trigger the problem. I am happy to say that even though I only did the rear connectors last April, so far, my indicators have not come back on since last July. The ABS has kicked in a couple times, so I know it works. Now, it is probably accurate to say that, this winter, we have not done as much driving in slushy weather as the winter before. Of course, after I cleaned the rears the indicators didn't go out for 3 months. Did my cleaning actually fix the problem, or was it somewhere else and it finally dried out over the Summer? Who knows. In any case, I'm hoping the problem does not resurface as I do not need that expensive repair. If it happens again I'll clean the fronts and if that doesn't fix it I'll probably just live without the ABS.

Last edited by robkay; 02-10-2015 at 10:13 AM.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #423
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I was looking at digging up this thread. Mine came on a while ago during the ice storm in January. But it quickly turned off as weather warmed up.

I plugged the TechStream tool and it does show rear left sensor issue. I haven't erased it and ABS is working. But the issue I am having now is the rear right wheel locking up.
I haven't seen the ABS light since then, but I still experience rear right wheel locking up, throwing the car to the left until the rest of the ABS system straightens the car...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #424
Logen9Fingers
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Thank you everyone here. You all have helped me fix my dreaded ABS and Brake light issue. Here is what I went through.

Issue:
ABS and Brake light come on and off. It happens randomly with no Rhyme or reason, and would stay on most of the time. The ABS also kicks in when I roll to a stop; it only happens if I am going slow.

Fix:
Removed back 2 wheels (1 at a time). Sprayed cover to speed sensor harness with WD40. Used flat head screw driver to remove the cover. Cleaned cover with WD40. Disconnected harness from speed sensor (used same screwdriver to gently pry it off). Sprayed dielectric spray inside both ends. Reconnected everything.

So happy I did that this weekend before it started snowing again.
Logen9Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #425
trojjanhorse

Drives: 2007 Yaris LE
Hi everyone

I too own an OBD II bluetooth adapter and like many it did not reveal any fault codes.

I jumped 4&13 and here's the flash pattern i witnessed:

3.3..3.4..3.9..94...repeat

The dots are supposed to be seconds between flashes.

Anyone know what these flash patterns mean?

Thank you.
trojjanhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #426
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
33 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
34 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
39 - Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Rear Speed Sensor LH
94 - Control Module Communication Bus OFF
Old 08-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #427
trojjanhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
33 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
34 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal
39 - Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Rear Speed Sensor LH
94 - Control Module Communication Bus OFF
Thanks Scott. I opened up the two small harnesses that cage the rear sensors and sprayed contact cleaner. The wires seem fine to me on inspection. I think my problem is a bit more deep seeded. This all happened post rust-proof. Do you have any idea or advise as to what I should do next?

Thank you
Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #428
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I would go back to your undercoating people, as it sounds like they coated the rear sensors.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #429
trojjanhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I would go back to your undercoating people, as it sounds like they coated the rear sensors.
Hey Scott,

Thanks again for replying so quick. Always appreciate your words of advice. I live in a different city now and visiting the under-coaters is not really an option for me anymore. Would I have to remove the rear wheels and get intimate with the ABS sensors? Is there a guide/manual that shows how to remove the rear sensors? I got the outer shell open but I don't want to tinker with the wires unless I know exactly how to remove the connectors.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #430
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojjanhorse View Post
Hey Scott,

Thanks again for replying so quick. Always appreciate your words of advice. I live in a different city now and visiting the under-coaters is not really an option for me anymore. Would I have to remove the rear wheels and get intimate with the ABS sensors? Is there a guide/manual that shows how to remove the rear sensors? I got the outer shell open but I don't want to tinker with the wires unless I know exactly how to remove the connectors.

Thanks

You have to completely remove the rear hubs to get to the sensors and special tools are required to remove the sensor from the hub to get to the business parts.

Name:  Yaris - Rear ABS.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  82.8 KB
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #431
wes369
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Disabiling the bloody ABS

Hi There,

Yes... Same ABS issue with my 2008 sedan. I have decided to just disable the Bloody ABS and go back to good old pumping the brakes on the ice.

To disable bloody ABS I went to the fuse box beside the battery and removed the fuses. There are two of them. A 50 amp and a 30 amp. ABS1/VSC1 and ABS2/VSC2. The map on the fuse cover will show you there locations.

As far as the bloody annoying lights, i simply used some black electricians tape and masked it over top of the lights. Mickeymouse i know but at least my eye isnt drawn to them anymore. And it doesnt even look half bad really. Feeling less resentful to that those bloddy corporate shills wont stand behind there obviously flawed ABS system. Oh the shame of it all. No surprise to me though.

If I'm feeling less lazy i will pull off that dashboard molding and get behind the bloody thing and pop those bloody lights out too.

Only downside is that the E-Brake light will no longer be visible in case i leave it on by mistake. I get a warning beep when that happens so it is all good on my end.

Hope that is helpful.
Wes
wes369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #432
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I've had the ABS warning light come on last year. First time after 8 years of abuse. The problem seems to be salt is able to find its way into the connector, and make improper contact with the ABS sensor on the hub. Filled it with dielectric grease and it never came back again.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk