Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #19
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
YO! you that dude with the Sick autocross Yaris from Wheelwell!! damn !! your car is awesome man ! you make my silly hatchback looks weird when I see an overly tuned one like yours cheers m8 !
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:29 AM   #20
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKING_QC View Post
YO! you that dude with the Sick autocross Yaris from Wheelwell!! damn !! your car is awesome man ! you make my silly hatchback looks weird when I see an overly tuned one like yours cheers m8 !
Hey dude! Don't feel silly about you build man, in the beginning mine had a automatic trans and 90 horsepower! We all start somewhere, people at races used to laugh at my yaris, now I'm passing turbo cars.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #21
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Hey dude! Don't feel silly about you build man, in the beginning mine had a automatic trans and 90 horsepower! We all start somewhere, people at races used to laugh at my yaris, now I'm passing turbo cars.
well it came a long way lol...

budget is kind of the issue for me right now... even if I managed to find JDM smoked LED converted tail lights for a "bargain" I still am broke BUT! Finally! life stopped giving me lemons (4 years of doing so...) now I can FINALLY start building my High Compression N/A screamer I always wanted and that, without swapping the 1NZ for a 4AGE... only taking cues and ideas from Thailand Yaris tuning scene (they know how to tune 1NZ's back there I tell ya.... 250-300-400 even 500HP....LOL

I'm aiming for a balanced 200-ish... sooo we'll see in a couple of months when I will start keeping money aside :)
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #22
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKING_QC View Post
well it came a long way lol...

budget is kind of the issue for me right now... even if I managed to find JDM smoked LED converted tail lights for a "bargain" I still am broke BUT! Finally! life stopped giving me lemons (4 years of doing so...) now I can FINALLY start building my High Compression N/A screamer I always wanted and that, without swapping the 1NZ for a 4AGE... only taking cues and ideas from Thailand Yaris tuning scene (they know how to tune 1NZ's back there I tell ya.... 250-300-400 even 500HP....LOL

I'm aiming for a balanced 200-ish... sooo we'll see in a couple of months when I will start keeping money aside :)
500hp N/A? lol

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
500hp N/A? lol
That is a bit ambitious haha, The most Ive seen from a n/a 1nz was just north of 150hp.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
That is a bit ambitious haha, The most Ive seen from a n/a 1nz was just north of 150hp.
Yes, and the boys in Puerto Rico are awesome at this.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Wasn't Garm upwards of 350 in his turbo 2nd gen?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #26
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Wasn't Garm upwards of 350 in his turbo 2nd gen?
yes but he had a $10,000 turbo engine setup...
Old 11-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
yes but he had a $10,000 turbo engine setup...
Holy smokes; didn't know that lol.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #28
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Hey guys, part 3 is live! Almost there...
http://www.armstrongfamilyblog.com/a...final-assembly

Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #29
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Pure... car... pr0n. lol

Awesome work, Tom! Glad it all pieced together for you; that's going to be a slick little unit, can't wait to see it in action.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #30
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
...can't wait to see it in action....
Me too man, it's gonna be epic. I just need to buy axles and finish cleaning up the engine bay a bit. So sometime next week we should be done
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #31
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
many questions

-I thought I read on your blog that you were gonna have to do something with the frame??? (did I imagine that?).....why would this be required if you're using your OEM tranny with the new 6spd guts inside?

-Remind me again, the difference between the 5spd and the 6spd?..... is it simply six gears that cover the same spread as the oem 5spd?

-Could I do this (go from 5spd to 6spd) and keep my final drive? ( I love my long gears for highway, but I hate the huge gap between 1st and 2nd and also between 2nd and 3rd)

-Given your experience and expertise.......do you have any appetite to offer this as a service to forum members (ie: me )

Cheers

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #32
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
many questions

-I thought I read on your blog that you were gonna have to do something with the frame??? (did I imagine that?).....why would this be required if you're using your OEM tranny with the new 6spd guts inside?

-Remind me again, the difference between the 5spd and the 6spd?..... is it simply six gears that cover the same spread as the oem 5spd?

-Could I do this (go from 5spd to 6spd) and keep my final drive? ( I love my long gears for highway, but I hate the huge gap between 1st and 2nd and also between 2nd and 3rd)

-Given your experience and expertise.......do you have any appetite to offer this as a service to forum members (ie: me )

Cheers

Will
1-When going to any 6 speed in the yaris you have to cut 1" out of your frame to clear the larger end cap(where the extra gear is).

2-The 6 speed gearing is much closer increasing acceleration and offering a higher (attainable) top speed

3-If you change to the 6 speed you are stuck with the 6 speed 4.5 final drive because the pinion shaft design. (not a bad thing). We may be able to use the 6 speed gears on the 5 speed shafts though...have'nt tried yet.

4-I was actually thinking of starting to offer transmission services, but I'm unsure how the forum would respond to that(I got booted from ToyotaNation because I sell Amsoil).
Old 12-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #33
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
1-When going to any 6 speed in the yaris you have to cut 1" out of your frame to clear the larger end cap(where the extra gear is).

2-The 6 speed gearing is much closer increasing acceleration and offering a higher (attainable) top speed

3-If you change to the 6 speed you are stuck with the 6 speed 4.5 final drive because the pinion shaft design. (not a bad thing). We may be able to use the 6 speed gears on the 5 speed shafts though...have'nt tried yet.

4-I was actually thinking of starting to offer transmission services, but I'm unsure how the forum would respond to that(I got booted from ToyotaNation because I sell Amsoil).

#1= so its mostly the original externals with a larger "end cap"?

#2= for me personally what would be ideal is a much closer 1-5, but retain a "highway" 6th gear for fuel efficiency

#3= would it be possible to play with gearsets? and take a highgear from another toyota product? .....there has been a ton of conversation on this forum about the different gears used across platforms (corolla / MR2 spyder etc....)

#4= all I can say is thats like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I understand that forum owners want the almighty dollar above all else, but in the process they drive away the very people who they hope will spend time on their forums (ie:enthusiasts). If you do start to offer a service, and subsequently booted....... I know how to get in touch
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #34
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
#1= so its mostly the original externals with a larger "end cap"?

#2= for me personally what would be ideal is a much closer 1-5, but retain a "highway" 6th gear for fuel efficiency

#3= would it be possible to play with gearsets? and take a highgear from another toyota product? .....there has been a ton of conversation on this forum about the different gears used across platforms (corolla / MR2 spyder etc....)

#4= all I can say is thats like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I understand that forum owners want the almighty dollar above all else, but in the process they drive away the very people who they hope will spend time on their forums (ie:enthusiasts). If you do start to offer a service, and subsequently booted....... I know how to get in touch
1-Yes

2-You should ask Trevor and Sam how they like the Scion xB 4.3 final drive, you keep 1-4 and the final drive gives you a boost in acceleration(Trevor has my built 5 speed). You can also change 5th to provide a more streetable RPM range.

3-yes, it has been done many times already. I guess we should build a spreadsheet with all of the compatible gears and shafts.

4-I agree, people get sour fast over a few dollars. I pay for all of my own hosting and never ask anyone for help. I don't try to charge insane prices for services I've already performed either, we usually come to and agreed "fair" price.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #35
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Toyota Yaris 6 Speed Swap Update!

New teaser video LOL

https://youtu.be/SVkORJalhsc
Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

ITS ALIVE

Finally after 2 months of down time, we are back....with a new setup to test!

https://youtu.be/herqXw2bg-Q