Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #1
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Post Oil Analysis

Check out my write-up on comparing my Amsoil and Mobil 1 samples, You may be surprised....I sure was.

http://www.armstrongfamilyblog.com/a...oil-vs-mobil-1

How to take the sample VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/IGNzIf73AMk

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-14-2018 at 10:30 PM.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
it would be nice if test results gave viscosity at the low temperature end (10w)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Check out my write-up on comparing my Amsoil and Mobil 1 samples, You may be surprised....I sure was.

http://www.armstrongfamilyblog.com/a...oil-vs-mobil-1
Thanks for posting your reports. I visit BITOG often but when I read the UOA reports, I rely solely on the commentary of members as I don't yet know enough about oil to understand the reports themselves. Is the 2ZR-FE notorious for shearing oil?

I'd love to see how SuperTech Full Synthetic holds up but I think they only go up to a 5W30.

Have you tried Rotella T6?

A quick search at BITOG yeilded this: It's largely about motorcycles but maybe helpful, maybe not.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=915614

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks for posting your reports. I visit BITOG often but when I read the UOA reports, I rely solely on the commentary of members as I don't yet know enough about oil to understand the reports themselves. Is the 2ZR-FE notorious for shearing oil?

I'd love to see how SuperTech Full Synthetic holds up but I think they only go up to a 5W30.

Have you tried Rotella T6?

A quick search at BITOG yeilded this: It's largely about motorcycles but maybe helpful, maybe not.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=915614
The 2zr-fe is a relatively clean engine just like the 1nz-fe. I havent tried any other oils yet, but the next one will be Motul.

Your link to the oil forum was an interesting read, and it makes me think Mobil1 and Amsoil might be using the same base stock oil. I was using 10W40 oil in an engine designed for 5W30, so I dont think the viscosity was the problem. Or maybe I do need to go to a 15W50? Who knows...
Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
The 2zr-fe is a relatively clean engine just like the 1nz-fe. I havent tried any other oils yet, but the next one will be Motul.

Your link to the oil forum was an interesting read, and it makes me think Mobil1 and Amsoil might be using the same base stock oil. I was using 10W40 oil in an engine designed for 5W30, so I dont think the viscosity was the problem. Or maybe I do need to go to a 15W50? Who knows...
I've read that Motul oils are quite robust. Best of luck with your testing. The thread will be interesting.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
To add to this I will soon (2.5k km away) have a UOA on 0w30 Mobil 1 with 18k km on it. I will be refilling with 5w30 Penzoil ultra platinum and doing another UOA to compare.

I've ran over the idea of going with a 0w40 euro spec'd oil to add to high temps at the track. I don't think I'll be going that route since a 40 weight is a bit higher than the engine is spec'd for and it really isn't needed as my oil pressure seems fine at the track.

I find it hard to believe that viscosity is an issue on your oil sample. I'm thinking it may have been lower than they expected but not a lubricating issue. Today's oils are getting darn impressive with their additives and they seem to be able to protect from sheering at crazy low viscocities. One of the reasons manufacturers are spec'ing 0w20 oils. Offers better emissions but doesn't lead to destroying rod bearings.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I find it hard to believe that viscosity is an issue on your oil sample. I'm thinking it may have been lower than they expected but not a lubricating issue. Today's oils are getting darn impressive with their additives and they seem to be able to protect from sheering at crazy low viscocities. One of the reasons manufacturers are spec'ing 0w20 oils. Offers better emissions but doesn't lead to destroying rod bearings.
This is true, and you have a good point about their testing process. Looking forward to your input on this topic. Blackstone takes about 2 weeks to review your sample FYI
Old 01-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
To add to this I will soon (2.5k km away) have a UOA on 0w30 Mobil 1 with 18k km on it. I will be refilling with 5w30 Penzoil ultra platinum and doing another UOA to compare.
i've been told by the corvette guys (this is factory oil for the corvette) that if you run the penzoil platinum/ultra platinum oils they leave deposits in the engine that are constantly filled/corrected by the additives in the oil; and if you stop using the penzoil the engine will start to crumble and become damaged. basically they said it's good oil, buy once you start using it you can't stop or it will damage the engine.

idk if that is true, but i've steered clear of penzoil products ever since...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
My bs meter is going off lol, I appreciate the info though. I haven't read anything on BITOG about that and the UOA's on the ultra platinum are pretty good. I'll give it a go and post up my info

Last edited by tmontague; 01-12-2018 at 08:45 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
My bs meter is going off lol,
yeah that is BS.

This is why I'm transparent and share all of my results, too many people talk too much with no data to back up their claims...
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #11
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
yeah that is BS.

This is why I'm transparent and share all of my results, too many people talk too much with no data to back up their claims...
Science!

Good read, thanks guys.

I've never had an oil anaylsis run, so interesting to see. I have found that at a macroscopic level the quality brand (or what I view / read are quality brands) synthetics I've used have done well; i.e. no stink, no bad discolouration or feel, even after going well beyond recommended oil change interval. So really I can only assume that they have not notably degraded and in turn provided good lubrication. Wonder how each really compares under the scope..

Especially looking forward to seeing the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum results as I just bought a bunch of it - it was on for a good deal at Canadian Tire, plus an additional $10 / 5L jug rebate from Pennzoil; thought I couldn't go wrong!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
like i said, idk. i've never used penzoil and i seen it was on sale one day too. i didn't want to take any chances with some kind of new oil formulation, so i just bought the royal purple, which was also on sale...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #13
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
like i said, idk. i've never used penzoil and i seen it was on sale one day too. i didn't want to take any chances with some kind of new oil formulation, so i just bought the royal purple, which was also on sale...
I would wait for Trevor to send in his sample, then we can all learn from that as well.

Royal Purple is another oil I'd like to see results on....You should send in a sample.

Tags
blackstone labs, oil analysis