Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Need Truth About Warranty Work . . .

I am having a struggle with getting some warranty work on my 5-speed hatch. I have had a long-tern "clunk" when I let out the clutch since before 22K and I now have 55K on the odo. The purchase dealer and now the other dealer in town said the noise is "acceptable". No it is not! My xB1 didn't make this noise in 50K miles why the Yaris?

I have heard that dealers don't like to do warranty work because:

1) it pays less by giving less hours to do the job - lawyer

2) it pays the same as the standard rate book, no difference - service mgr

3) it pays the same and sometimes BETTER so there should be no resistance to a warranty repair - state rep

Three different stories from different sources.

Does anybody have the real scoop on this?

Thanks.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
My guess (and this is far from educated) is that the manufacturers themselves probably have dealers shy away from making warranty claims. Why? Well, the more warranty claims that go through, the less "reliable" the manufacturer can claim their brand is.

That is literally a wild guess.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It sound like play in your drive train. Check your CV joint. Jack up one tire and try to rotate it back and forth. Then try the other side. If there is play you will hear the clunk.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I have had a long-tern "clunk" when I let out the clutch since before 22K and I now have 55K on the odo.

Thanks.
YOUR FAULT for not getting it looked at sooner. Don't get pissed at dealer/s cause your out of warranty and don't want to pay. WHY do you think its still covered???

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
woof

Ok, Rockland, I complained about the noise in 2007, 2008, 2009, and now. The answer was always the same--nothing is wrong. Nearly got into a screaming match with the purchase svc mgr because he kept saying "I can't hear anything." He was lying through his teeth.

An independent mechanic said it was either the inside driver CV joint and possibly slack in the trans axle. An attorney friend claims a lot of dealers are shirking warranty work and that's why I want to know how it pays the dealer.

It doesn't make sense to me. The car business is so off why would they duck it?

Metal on metal is NEVER acceptable.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
woof

Rockland, if you represent a Toyota dealership you don't have a lick of sense for posting what you did. Think about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
woof

That's what I don't understand. It is still under warranty and they put me off for over 2.5 years. Most dealerships suck and this is a common practice. They don't fix it, Toyota sends a field rep, he calls in a second opinion, and they find it the same as the first! My lawyer said it usually happens that way.

The Gulf States Toyota guy basically told the second opinion guy what to tell me. Today, I tested an '07 xB with 55K miles (same as my Yaris) and NO clunking or anything. I haven't gotten back in touch with the regional guy but I'm expecting him to not respond.

Gulf States has done some really crappy stuff like you can't get stock alloys on most Toys. You have to get the crappier ones they add on at port so they can make a higher margin. Then there was the infamous $349 tire package that requires you to rotate every 5K miles in order to be eligible for new tires. Do you know how much money that is before they wear down to 1/32 of an inch? They refused so many people and had so many battles they had to stop adding it to the sticker.

The problem with this country is nobody is living up to their end of the bargain. I complained early on and they did nothing but say "You have until 60K miles."

Companies don't care about your business or whether your going to be an eenemy. I still talk bad about Honda for what they did to me in 1990. 8^)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Ive actually had a mild clicking while letting the clutch out, always, since Ive had the car.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
woof

What out, listen to it over time. I rarely use the radio or sound system so I'm pretty in touch with what's going on.

I had zero problem with my '05 xB even when I traded at 50K miles.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Rockland, if you represent a Toyota dealership you don't have a lick of sense for posting what you did. Think about it.

a lick of sense HUH. im not the one crying about a problem ive known about for 2-3 years now am i? how about you call the TOYOTA Customer Experience Center@ Phone:800-331-4331 and let them known what the story is. its a lot better than posting on here........

Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
woof

Rockland, you must be 12 years old. Does your boss know what you're doing here?

My dealer's service department is worthless and so is the state rep...how about yours?

Rule One: avoid Toyota 1-800 number

I went to the Toyota website and tried to write an email and it wouldn't pull up!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
do you have all of this in writing? If so you could do something. If you don't, and well this supposedly has happened to you before, then Rockland is right, the only place you have to look is in the mirror.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
markitect

Drives: Yaris
If you've had it in several times you should be looking into your state's lemon laws. And make sure the dealer knows you plan on having your car lemoned, I've mentioned lemon law to two different dealers on two different cars/manufacturers and both times my problem was suddenly diagnosed and fixed no problem.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Rockland, you must be 12 years old. Does your boss know what you're doing here?

My dealer's service department is worthless and so is the state rep...how about yours?

Rule One: avoid Toyota 1-800 number

I went to the Toyota website and tried to write an email and it wouldn't pull up!
GOOD LUCK with your problem

Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post

Rockland you would think you would be a little more helpful since you work for a dealership, but you don't even know the warranty period for a toyota yaris and you drive one, what do you do there? wash cars after the oil change or take out the garbage and clean toilets? Obviously anyone who lives in NY should not visit Rockland Toyota if they want good service. You represent them no matter what you think.
from the 5 people who share this username and sweep floors we THANK YOU......

Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post

I would search hell and high water for another dealership even if you have to drive 50-100 miles and have them look at it. Other than that I don't know what to tell you..
Im not pickin sides or whatever but that should have been done to begin with before you even got on here and asked.

.[/QUOTE]
I have always purchased extended warranties for all of my vehicles cause you never know when you are gonna get a lemon, and here the lemon law is like 60 days from date of purchase. .[/QUOTE]

you may wanna check a little closer here in the middle part of the country there is a little more to it than just a warrenty problem in the 1st 60days.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Its a noise. Its obviously not having any adverse effects with your driving. It is probably acceptable.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Warranty work

Respect the Mantis!

Last edited by Alien Mantis; 12-14-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Alien Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote