Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
longmontrunner

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Would You But an Extended Warranty in this Situation?

Hi everybody, great forum.

I've got a 2008 Yaris HB, bone stock. It's got 33K miles and is almost at 36 months, so I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a Toyota Platinum ($0 ded.) Extended Warranty. I've been gathering online quotes and the best I've got is $635 for the 6-year/100,000 mile. I drive ~20K miles (I'm the third owner of the car, the first two didn't drive much) so I'll probably hit the mark just around the six-year time frame.

It's a good piece of mind but I'm curious to know -- what problems are people typically having from 36K --> 100K miles?

Would you buy this warranty if you're me?

EDIT: if it matters, it's a manual transmission and the only options are power windows/locks.
longmontrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
No. I wouldn't get it. My 08 has about 30k miles and no problems at all.

Welcome.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
$30 oil changes * 14 = $420
$22 coolant flush @ 3-4 years = $22
$30 serpentine belt @ close to 100K = $30
$14 air filters * 3 = $42
$15 cabin air filter * 2 = $30
$30 transmission oil change @ 100K or whenever you want better shifting (MT-90) = $30
$350 new tires @ 40,000 miles on stock tires or whenever = $350
----
= $924, which will actually keep you going well into 100,000 miles. May need new spark plugs (100K) and some wiper blade inserts from Toyota.. <$30.

The typical problem I've heard of is water pump breaking. It seems either it breaks over and over again and people never stop having problems, or it never fails and is "Toyota reliable" (95%?). Mind you this is the most prominent problem on the forum, a minority of owners, and even then, only like 20-30? people have reported problems. Replacement cost about $80 if you DIY.

Another is alternator failing; replacement with used <$200 DIY or a CTScott quick fix almost free (take it apart and fix/spray? something).

The engine will not fail before 100,000; transmission will not fail either. Replacing individual parts that may fail will cost you less than the warranty if you use independent garages or DIY.

I'm at 87,000 miles now.. and have only spent money on maintenance because I wanted to, like... the feel of the brake pedal got low/sloppy, so I've spent money (on the wrong things) trying to get it fixed. Absolutely nothing has broken by itself.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
not worth the dough

for what the extended warranty will ACTUALLY cover....that stuff isnt likely to break/wear out.

but it depends on what you'd like to pay for piece-of-mind in case something major actually happens....

alternators are easy...i replaced mine last week....$125 for an alternator from a wrecker and i installed it in an hour (keeping in mind that i also have a supercharger in the way of getting to it easily (and its mounted upside down, too)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
swidd

Would be more interesting to have a warranty for 150,000-300,000 miles, but those are usually scams in the fine print.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
longmontrunner

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Thanks for everyone's input. I decided against buying the warranty for a lot of the same reasons that everyone here mentioned.

My other gripe about the warranty is that the local Yota dealer charges a $92 diagnostic fee every time you bring a car in for service -- even if it is under warranty. If the problem ends up being under warranty they don't charge it and fix the issue, but if they can't replicate the problem or it isn't a covered part, you're out $92. There are other dealers but none that are really convenient for me to get to. I feel like I'd be less likely to bring the car in for "potential" warranty work knowing that I might be out $92 if it's not a covered item.
longmontrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
swidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by longmontrunner View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I decided against buying the warranty for a lot of the same reasons that everyone here mentioned.

My other gripe about the warranty is that the local Yota dealer charges a $92 diagnostic fee every time you bring a car in for service -- even if it is under warranty. If the problem ends up being under warranty they don't charge it and fix the issue, but if they can't replicate the problem or it isn't a covered part, you're out $92. There are other dealers but none that are really convenient for me to get to. I feel like I'd be less likely to bring the car in for "potential" warranty work knowing that I might be out $92 if it's not a covered item.
Search the forum and google for your problem before even thinking about the dealership. Usually CTScott has a solution that costs less than $10.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
for that price you can prob get with fidelity or usfidelity and get better coverage, 275k mile coverage and a 50 deductible. higher deductible but how likely is it that you'll go, and how often?

do some research. if you're plannin on the long haul with this car then do get a warranty. fidelity will cover everything at this point with current mileage and age. we have fidelity customers all the time, they cover everything but maintenance issues like wearable items: brakes, oil n such.

if you gonna get rid of it, then dont get one. i thought i was gonna keep mine forever, but as i'm kinda in a divorce...i may go with a mustang/camaro or a bmw 335d...idk.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Longsx3

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by longmontrunner View Post
Hi everybody, great forum.

I've got a 2008 Yaris HB, bone stock. It's got 33K miles and is almost at 36 months, so I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a Toyota Platinum ($0 ded.) Extended Warranty. I've been gathering online quotes and the best I've got is $635 for the 6-year/100,000 mile. I drive ~20K miles (I'm the third owner of the car, the first two didn't drive much) so I'll probably hit the mark just around the six-year time frame.

It's a good piece of mind but I'm curious to know -- what problems are people typically having from 36K --> 100K miles?

Would you buy this warranty if you're me?

EDIT: if it matters, it's a manual transmission and the only options are power windows/locks.
Can you share where you got that quote from, my quote was $710.
Longsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
alternators are easy...i replaced mine last week....$125 for an alternator from a wrecker and i installed it in an hour (keeping in mind that i also have a supercharger in the way of getting to it easily (and its mounted upside down, too)

You got jacked, they're 40 bucks here. I bought one two weeks ago.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote