Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
HDS

Drives: 2007 Yaris, 1991 Trans Am GTA
Yikes, thats an expensive block heater

So temps are hitting -20C in Finland, starting is a bit of a hassle in the mornings without a block heater. So I had my car taken to the shop and I was told the heater would be 90 euros + 59 euros for the wiring harness. But then I was phoned by the shop and they said my car has A/C and that means the part won't fit (it bolts onto the engine as I understand).

So instead I must get one that splices into a coolant hose and it's a whopping 215 euros, anyone here know the part they are talking about? Is it really that bloody expensive?
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Um... the block heater for the Yaris (at least for the non-diesel engines) snaps into a pre-existing hole in the side of the engine block just above where the transmission bolts to the engine block. There's no wiring harness, it's a single kit that's about $45US for the whole thing, and includes the wiring in question.

I could see an hour's labor at the dealership at rather high rates for one installed, especially on a manual-transmission vehicle since part of the cable-guides need to be unbolted to access the hole, but it shouldn't end up more than about 100 euros total price for the whole thing for the actual Toyota version.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
HDS

Drives: 2007 Yaris, 1991 Trans Am GTA
The part you mention that snaps in, that was kind of type I thought I needed, but this one comes in two parts for some reason, 90 euros for the heater and 59 for the wiring harness (probably a bad translation, but the cables that come with it), I picked the parts up myself from the shops supplier to save on the shipping costs. It was supposed to snap in. But they called and said since I got an A/C that it will not fit, the A/C pump is in the way.

I have a diesel engine if that matters any.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote