Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
oil

what is the best synthetic oil to use in a yaris and also the best filter?
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
man you will get a lot of answers to this question... i'll go for the OEM filter and Castrol Syntec oil. Just my 2cents. I bet others will disagree.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
try searching this topic. there's a crap load out there. a lot say Wix filters and Napa oil, but you want synthetic, so Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Amsoil is what members here recommend (if i remember correctly).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE View Post
what is the best synthetic oil to use in a yaris and also the best filter?
in any automotive forum, them be "fightin' words." people get really heated over this one, and debates become endless. but the one consensus i can think of from all the stuff i've read?? change your oil on regular intervals, meaning, be very consistent with your oil changes, and you'll be fine with pretty much any oil, EVEN dino oil (this one must be changed more frequently). is synth better?? OF COURSE! will your engine die on you if you change your oil with quaker state dino every 3000 miles?? probably not...

--B

ps: i use amsoil ASL 5w-30 and either amsoil or wix filter...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
My synthetic of choice is Amsoil... it helps that I'm a preferred customer with option to become a resaler :P
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
in any automotive forum, them be "fightin' words." people get really heated over this one, and debates become endless. but the one consensus i can think of from all the stuff i've read?? change your oil on regular intervals, meaning, be very consistent with your oil changes, and you'll be fine with pretty much any oil, EVEN dino oil (this one must be changed more frequently). is synth better?? OF COURSE! will your engine die on you if you change your oil with quaker state dino every 3000 miles?? probably not...

--B

ps: i use amsoil ASL 5w-30 and either amsoil or wix filter...

good post. follow his advice! change the oil regularly. i'm gonna get me a "hourly meter" to keep track of how many hours my engine is runing and do my changes based on that. i have yet to decide what brandname to go with so once i do i'll post info.

if you dont want to get all fancy like me just change it every 3k if you drive your car normally. if you decide to go auto x'n or do something like that change it after you are done.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I don’t get why people change their oil more often than recommended. 3000 mile intervals is excessively wasteful. If you drive normal, do like the manual says and change it every 5000 miles. You listen to your owner’s manual for bolt torque specifications, fuel octane rating recommendations, and fluid type/weight specifications, and you wouldn’t stray from those. But when it comes to oil changes, everybody insists Toyota’s recommendation is too long. Why buy an eco-friendly economy car and then waste all that extra oil? 5000 on regular oil and 7500 on synthetic is fine. You won’t extend the life of your Yaris with smaller intervals.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #8
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I don’t get why people change their oil more often than recommended. 3000 mile intervals is excessively wasteful. If you drive normal, do like the manual says and change it every 5000 miles. You listen to your owner’s manual for bolt torque specifications, fuel octane rating recommendations, and fluid type/weight specifications, and you wouldn’t stray from those. But when it comes to oil changes, everybody insists Toyota’s recommendation is too long. Why buy an eco-friendly economy car and then waste all that extra oil? 5000 on regular oil and 7500 on synthetic is fine. You won’t extend the life of your Yaris with smaller intervals.
completely agree. i'm still used to the antiquated system of every 3000 miles! if the manual says 5000, then do it. with our amsoil, we change every 7500 or 6 months, whichever comes first. JUST BE DILIGENT...and your engine will be fine, no matter the oil...

--B
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i think it's because of driver/owner comfortability and media propaganda that we change our oil every 3,000 miles, and possibly driving conditions.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Here's my take on this oil thing. If your engine is brand new, don't replace the factory oil until after the engine is broken in and even then, wait till past 3,000 miles, to make sure the parts are warn optimally.

Stay away from mineral oil. It's not bad but there are better choices to provide more longevity to your engine.

Don't get sucked into the industry wide Bull Shit thinking that one must replace the oil every 3,000 miles. This is robbery by the industry against all of us.

Don't judge the worth of your oil based on just looking at it. Just because it is a bit dark does not necessarily mean it is too dirty to provide protection.

Use Mobil1 Synthetic EXTENDED LIFE, which they claim is good for 15,000 miles. But I would suggest not going past 10,000 miles just to be safe. Using this oil will save you money by making changes less frequently, and it provides better engine protection then mineral, and does so longer in time.

Stay away from dillusions, and superstitions that you'll read all over the internet. The best independently proven oil protection is Amsoil synthetic, but as a compromise to cost, I use Mobile1 Extended synthetic which is nearly as good.

Don't waste your money on too frequent changes. It is a dillusion that you're adding more protection to your engine, and it just wastes money needlessly.

I prefer Mobile1 filters. Are they better? I don't know I have no proof, however since I use Mobile1 Syn Extended life, I naturally go with their filters.

Learn to change the oil yourself, as it is very fast and easy, and you know damned well that it is the premium stuff being put into your car and not the car of the mechanic.

Save your money by changing only every 10,000 miles, go with a good synthetic, especially a product with extended life, use a good filter, and all this will conspire to give you better engine protection, better MPG, and save you $$ by not requiring too frequent changes.

My 2 cents....
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
My dealer actually sets the oil change intervals at 8000Km's, I dont know if it's Toyota nation wide though
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervepipes View Post
My dealer actually sets the oil change intervals at 8000Km's, I dont know if it's Toyota nation wide though
I'm pretty sure that's for all of Canada. I'd guess that the U.S. interval is 5000 miles.

For the OP, I switched to Mobil 1 at the first scheduled oil change, and use OEM filters. I bring my own oil to the dealer, and they use my oil and their filter. As soon as warrantee is done, I'll buy a box of Toyota OEM filters and do it all myself.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Probably Motul - but is hard to find here in Canada
Otherwise Canadian Tire sells Red Line, another good choice
I personally don't trust that much Amsoil. They publicize a lot on internet, "best synthetic oil" on Google returns dozens of sites all on Amsoil . Any of those sites are that kind of stuff saying Amsoil is the best... ok...

Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Castrol Syntec are only intended to give better start-up on cold days, not for extended oil change intervals
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
thanks everyone for the info.. :)
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
Probably Motul - but is hard to find here in Canada
Otherwise Canadian Tire sells Red Line, another good choice
I personally don't trust that much Amsoil. They publicize a lot on internet, "best synthetic oil" on Google returns dozens of sites all on Amsoil . Any of those sites are that kind of stuff saying Amsoil is the best... ok...

Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Castrol Syntec are only intended to give better start-up on cold days, not for extended oil change intervals
You're wrong...it says right on the label "15,000 Miles".
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #16
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
You're wrong...it says right on the label "15,000 Miles".
I know I'm wrong that's what I'm using right now, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance + K&N filter, it has 2000 miles and the oil got quite dark, now tell me If a real synthetic would do so, anyway, it's the last time I'm using a pseudo synthetic. if one needs to spend more money at least buy real synthetics, i.e. Motul, Red Line or Amsoil
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
I know I'm wrong that's what I'm using right now, the Mobil 1 Extended Performance + K&N filter, it has 2000 miles and the oil got quite dark, now tell me If a real synthetic would do so, anyway, it's the last time I'm using a pseudo synthetic. if one needs to spend more money at least buy real synthetics, i.e. Motul, Red Line or Amsoil
very many tests wouldn't agree :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to 91drggndime
I use WIX filters and Castrol Oil.. but since I do not have a parts store that sells WIX filters.. With this oil change, I went with Castrol oil and Purolator oil filter.

2007 Pacific Blue Yaris Sedan - wifes kid carrier and daily
1999.5 Brilliant Black Audi A4 - boosted 16 psi, supporting mods, s4 interior, you know, shit you cant get in the yaris.
91drggndime is offline   Reply With Quote