Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #37
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
It has been proven for years, all over the web, that small 4 banger car and motorcycle engines actually produce LESS POWER with higher octane gas. It is a myth to think that our Yaris engines benefit from higher octane gas, no such thing as "imrpoved MPG" either. Our Yaris engines are not even chipped for higher then 87, and are tuned to run optimally at 87. But try telling this to the boy-racers that equate dicking with their engines and changing the oil monthly with masterbation.

Burning gas higher then Octane 87 is just wasting money, and makes your engine produce LESS POWER...hello?!? Octane slows down the combustion of the gas....leave it for bigger higher compression engines that need that retardation, that are tuned by the factory for higher octane gas. Why would you force the combustion to happen too late in the cycle?!? Incomplete combustion means more stress on the motor, less longevity, and provides a false sense of being. Perhaps you know more then Toyota engineers?

Through my kids, I know many Ricer-Boy teenagers that always fill up their Civics, Integras, Corollas etc with Octane 89 or more...what a waste of money! They have this dillusion of "more power"! Dillusions and superstition are hard to overcome, sadly...
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #38
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Hey guy there is a Toyota TSB to increase gas mileage for the 1NZ motor use 5-20 or 0-20 synthetic oil
and god forbid somthing were to happen to this engine I do need a proof the oil was changed every 5000 miles synthectic or not, so untill the warranty is up 5000 miles it is, after that I will go more than that...

Would you please send me/us all a link of that TSB? I would greatly appreciate it. If there exists such a TSB, then I too would be very interested in using a lighter oil for better MPG...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #39
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
It has been proven for years, all over the web, that small 4 banger car and motorcycle engines actually produce LESS POWER with higher octane gas. It is a myth to think that our Yaris engines benefit from higher octane gas, no such thing as "imrpoved MPG" either. Our Yaris engines are not even chipped for higher then 87, and are tuned to run optimally at 87. But try telling this to the boy-racers that equate dicking with their engines and changing the oil monthly with masterbation.

Burning gas higher then Octane 87 is just wasting money, and makes your engine produce LESS POWER...hello?!? Octane slows down the combustion of the gas....leave it for bigger higher compression engines that need that retardation, that are tuned by the factory for higher octane gas. Why would you force the combustion to happen too late in the cycle?!? Incomplete combustion means more stress on the motor, less longevity, and provides a false sense of being. Perhaps you know more then Toyota engineers?

Through my kids, I know many Ricer-Boy teenagers that always fill up their Civics, Integras, Corollas etc with Octane 89 or more...what a waste of money! They have this dillusion of "more power"! Dillusions and superstition are hard to overcome, sadly...

I tried to explain why there is octane ratings, but, people don't want to listen. As Pavel said, causing the Fuel to burn later that it is supposed to is not such a good idea. When you get boosted, then go for octane, untill then, all it does is mess with a good design. Remember kiddies, just because the guy down the block puts high octane fuel in his stock 89 civic doesn't mean you should too.

P.S. Sport Compact Car had a whole issue devoted to urban myths about ricer "power" legends. High octane was one of them...and no, you do not get more HP out of higher octane fuel...and also, the octane boosters you buy at walmart actually cause more build up of crap in your fuel system, and most of them don't even boost the octane. Please...stop trying to make a stock compact gas miser car into something its not unless you f--k with the compression or add boost to the equation.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #40
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
I tried to explain why there is octane ratings, but, people don't want to listen. As Pavel said, causing the Fuel to burn later that it is supposed to is not such a good idea. When you get boosted, then go for octane, untill then, all it does is mess with a good design. Remember kiddies, just because the guy down the block puts high octane fuel in his stock 89 civic doesn't mean you should too.

P.S. Sport Compact Car had a whole issue devoted to urban myths about ricer "power" legends. High octane was one of them...and no, you do not get more HP out of higher octane fuel...and also, the octane boosters you buy at walmart actually cause more build up of crap in your fuel system, and most of them don't even boost the octane. Please...stop trying to make a stock compact gas miser car into something its not unless you f--k with the compression or add boost to the equation.

So true Spades....and besides, we all know that if one really wants to add pazzazz to a cars performance, just add a thimble fill of diesel to the....
Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #41
Go4th

Drives: Yaris S Sedan color Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE View Post
what is the best synthetic oil to use in a yaris and also the best filter?
AMSOil 5w30
2007 TOYOTA YARIS 1.5L 4-cyl Engine Code 1NZ-FE

FILTERS
Oil Filter........EAO09 AMSOIL Ea Oil FilterOil Filter........51394 WIX 51394 Oil Filter Air Filter........49104

Go4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #42
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
[/threadjack] (again)
If you ever get boosted or change the compression to something radical(say 14 to 1) then look into 89 octane, untill then, feel free to waste your cash on the gas that costs 30 cents more a gallon.
30 cents more a gallon?? I have given this thought: it's 10 cents a gallon more for "plus", and so, ten gallons equals ONE dollar. The Yaris sedan holds 11 gallons. So, a dollar a full tank? Worth it, for the added cleaning agents' power. Can you say preventive maintenance??
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #43
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
High octane fuel in a Yaris engine makes it retarded!

There! It needed to be said!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #44
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
Here is an interesting article I found that might interest people on this gas dispute.

http://oldeloohuis.com/octane.html
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #45
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Here is an interesting article I found that might interest people on this gas dispute.

http://oldeloohuis.com/octane.html
Boy that guy likes to write!!!! The last 2 paragrahs sum it up though.

THE LAST 2 PARAGRAHS ARE:
"On modern engines with sophisticated engine management systems, the engine can operate efficiently on fuels of a wider range of octane ratings, but there remains an optimum octane for the engine under specific driving conditions."

"If you are already using a fuel with an octane rating slightly below the optimum, then using a higher octane fuel will cause the engine management system to move to the optimum settings, possibly resulting in both increased power and improved fuel economy."

I'm about the oldest codger on this site, and these 2 paragraphs say it all. On pre-engine management engines 8 or 9 pounds of compression ratio would run efficiently on regular (87 octane), any more compression and you would have serious knocking if going up hill or accelerating faster than a snail. (unless you retarded the timing to the point the engine would barely run) 87 octane is not the optimum for 10.5 to 1 compression ratio without engine management. It does fine with regular when driven like the hypers do (little or no load), but under acceleration or going up hill, timing retards (out of the optimum setting) to prevent knock. From his last 2 paragraphs, he basically agrees that premium would help performance and milage during load conditions. Soooo---Hypers don't need it....normal drivers may benefit, depending on the environment and how heavy their foot is!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #46
Disturb3dMind3d

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=tsb+oil

tsb report of 5w-20 oil
Disturb3dMind3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #47
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
I don't know much, but i do know that the first number in 5w-20 indicates that the in the winter(around freezing) the cold oil would have a lower pour rate than the 0w-20. thereby decreasing lubrication until the engine has reached a warmer temp. In these summer months the 20 of either of the oils would take precedence. Unless you live on the north pole. The actual synthetic oils do not have a state changing property(in normal temps 0C-100C) like mineral oils.
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #48
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Check this out: http://www.autocarepronews.com/defau...=art&id=79089&
Apparently Pennzoil has found a full synthetic which changes. I use it in my old Probe without any issues..
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #49
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline... They all send shivers up my spine! Synthetic or not, these companies are scary. I just don't trust them, kinda like Chrysler, Ford and GM!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote