Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #37
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Come-on Smelly, what issues????? Be specific, if you have the experience ....
..... SHARE!!!!!
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #38
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
umm if you goto the australian toyota site, trd makes a turbo charged vitz (older style model)

also check out the new sedan that trd is working on 3.5L supercharged v6
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #39
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
i had a supercharged mr2, that was basically maintenance free. just gas and go, oil change at recommended intervals. now THAT was a blast to drive, oem supercharger setup engineered to toyota precision.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #40
ricko

Thanks Ron, that is the type of info that is useful to me. If Toyota releases a super-charger for the Yaris through TRD, we can expect a performance increase without the problems associated with SOME after-market accessories. Some people here have the skill and are equiped to do a little of their own R+D, NOT ME.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #41
YarisHatch

Drives: Blank
Send a message via AIM to YarisHatch Send a message via Yahoo to YarisHatch
If you want specifics, i can give it to you. All my posts on this particular thread is related to the xb/xa community, which shares identical motors, the two major differences are ecu mapping (closer to 06' xb's than older models) and gearing is spread out more in the yaris compared to the xb/xa due to its geared specifically for fuel economy, although the automatics are identical.
YarisHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #42
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
umm if you goto the australian toyota site, trd makes a turbo charged vitz (older style model)

also check out the new sedan that trd is working on 3.5L supercharged v6
I belive the turbo Echo was a TRD kit but that was a test car to gauge interest. It was never sold officially in Australia.

The TRD Aurion (the name of the S/C sedan) looks promising.. Can't wait to have a little drive in one.

Ricko, nothing major as I said.. just leaking manifolds.. easily fixable with a gasket change... other than that, laugh-a-mile as you drive past most cars. :)
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #43
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
If Toyota releases a super-charger for the Yaris through TRD, we can expect a performance increase without the problems associated with SOME after-market accessories.
While they may be better than some, TRD still has problems.. The Tacoma TRD supercharger had and still does have some problems, they eventually released a 7th injector kit to try and fix it but it's still got issues. At least if it frys the piston heads during the warranty period you are covered since it's TRD (only if the dealer installed it). After the powertrain warranty is up you are SOL, and most of the damage from the Tacoma charger showed up later for people.
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #44
YarisHatch

trd makes pretty crappy s/cers, their newest addition for the 2az has huge oil leak issues coming from the shafts and other places, and i've heard of a few losing psi on stock belts.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #45
ricko

Hmmmmmmmm. Seems there is no foolproof way to do this. I guess the easiest way to get 200hp is to buy an SI.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #46
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Err not really.

If you have a supercharger and want more boost, you can change the supercharger's drive pulley to a smaller one. You just have to make sure you don't boost past what is recommended for the compressor unit. Pulley size determines boost.

For a turbo you simply control boost with a boost control. You can go up and down whenever you want. There is no need to rebuild a turbo.

I run my turbo anywhere from 6-15 psi...and I can change that when I'm in the car, whenever I want.

New turbo technology reduces turbo lag significantly.
My current turbo is dual ball bear, water and oil cooled. Spins so damn easily that after you shut the car off the turbine wheel will still be spinning.
i quess i should have elaborated, i meant the overall boost setting, you can change your boost alot more with a boost controller on a turbo than changing pulleys on a s/c... i too have dealt with both alot of various cars from '03 Mustang Cobras to turbo'd SOHC civics... in other words, turbos(on average) have higher overall boost compared to a s/c

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #47
YarisHatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Hmmmmmmmm. Seems there is no foolproof way to do this. I guess the easiest way to get 200hp is to buy an SI.
Wrong! While i do love honda's, its quite possible to do so and do it safely. The biggest issue is the prep build. You have to upgrade internals and parts of the transmission. Running full synthetic motor oil and trans oil is a must. If you take the time, and do a well investigated prep build you will save yourself from many headaches in the future. Knowing the motors weak and strong spots will also benefit you. But majority of people who have issues with boost are usually the ones with poor tuning, not taking care of their car, mis-shifting, and not preping the motor for boost.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #48
ricko

Of course it IS possible, but to do it right is not EASY and it requires an owner that is prepared to take all the necessary steps to maintain the performance and longevity of the engine. Hence the comment, " .... the EASIEST way to get 200hp is to buy an SI."
Old 07-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #49
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
The last gen SI are nice but if you have the time, and money, then go for a boosted yaris
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #50
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
TRD Supercharger

Found this site which has some aftermarket parts for the Yaris / Scions

This link doest jump right to the supercharger but follow the links on the left for the Yaris.

http://mcgeorgeparts.com/
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #51
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs

Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #52
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
There is one thing that may or maynot have been said, but why? The Yaris is to save on gas (money). Put the boost to it and you will not get 40mpg and you will also need premium fuel, which will be about $.20 a gal. more. Both of my other cars are boosted. I have a 02 S/C tacoma I have not had any trouble with it that has cost me any money. The biggest problem is low rpm full throddle in a high gear. Not enough fuel. Thats the only flaw that I have seen. I also have TRD headers and exhaust. I think the trans will need a rebuild sooner than a non S/C. More power is always good but at what cost?
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #53
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
I'm trying to get my hand on the NCP91 version of the Blitz S/C right now.

Tuning will be done with E-Management. With the intake, header, exhaust on + ecu tuning, i should be able to get 140-150WHP.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #54
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Honestly, ever supercharged car I've ever worked on I have never liked.

I would never go with a supercharger.
Nowadays, they've been far surpassed by turbo technology.

A turbo'd car is tons more fun to drive and much much more versatile for power adjustment.

Hitting 140rwhp would be unreasonable for 3500.
You could run nitrous for 1k and do the same.

Yup. Superchargers run off the engine, sapping power and have to USE a LOT OF STEPPER gears to get NEAR 50,000 rpm..
TURBOS run off UNUSED EXHAUST GAS, which is UP TO 70% of the energy of the Air/Fuel Explosion...and can easily spool to 80,000+...

superchargers are kinda nice on s2000s since they rev to 9K...but not on yaris.
3500 and only 40 whp gain? NOS would be much more efficient. Though, the new Blitz Vitz superchager can be turned completely off..that's not bad for fuel efficiency, either.