Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
danggilmore

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
Help Diagnose Sound Please!

Hi all!

I've got a 2008 with 137k on her.

I've been experiencing a high pitched electrical sounding sound that directly relates to when I push the gas pedal to accelerate. When I let go, the sound lets off but decelerates with the car if that makes sense.

I can't make the sound occur with the car in neutral or park so its really hard to pinpoint. I tried listening inside my alternator and i can hear a similar electrical noise but very quiet. I'm not too sure what an alternator is supposed to sound like.

It's not a super alarming sound. It sounds like a supercharged engine! Runs and drives wonderfully as always.

I looked under the hood and noticed coolant leak from my water pump. I was all excited and thought I found the cure to the noise. After new water pump installation today, the noise continued. :[

Is it my alternator? Is it possible its the fan?

Any input and help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
danggilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Sounds like a grounding issue. Do you have your radio on or anything plugged into your auxiliary during these times?
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
If you can somehow record the sound, that would help.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
"Electrical Sound"

electrical sounds--spark plug discharge snap, thunder, area buzz during lightning storm, arc welder, transformer hum, various undesired noises coming out of the TV or stereo, ?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
check your electrical silencer which is a connector from your main engine harness that essentially attaches to a rubber block that is molded to a metal bracket that attached to your block.

If that has come disconnected then it could be the source of your issue as that is what it is designed to fix.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
danggilmore

I tried recording a sound but its so faint and high pitched, my phone won't pick it up. The more I drive, the louder it gets. I'll try and get a good recording tmrw.

I tried unplugging my aux cord as its always plugged in and it didn't help anything.

Can you be a little more specific on where to find that electrical silencer on the engine block? Left, right, bottom, top?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Sounds like a grounding issue. Do you have your radio on or anything plugged into your auxiliary during these times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danggilmore View Post
I tried recording a sound but its so faint and high pitched, my phone won't pick it up. The more I drive, the louder it gets. I'll try and get a good recording tmrw.

I tried unplugging my aux cord as its always plugged in and it didn't help anything.

Can you be a little more specific on where to find that electrical silencer on the engine block? Left, right, bottom, top?

Thanks!
Question reworded for the OP, do you have an after market stereo installed? If so, is the noise coming from the speakers?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by danggilmore View Post

Thanks!
Unfortunately I do not remember where it is located on the 1nz engine, I just remember seeing one when I removed the harness to do my engine swap.

On my signature picture of my 2zr engine it is located on the right side of the valve cover and just to the right of the black hose that comes off of the cold air intake. It is like a ground but the metal part from the bracket that mounts onto the engine runs into a rubber dampener and then that goes to a connector to attach it to the engine harness
Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
danggilmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Question reworded for the OP, do you have an after market stereo installed? If so, is the noise coming from the speakers?
Its coming from the engine compartment for sure. I think its something spinning thats causing the sound but can't tell for sure.

No aftermarket stereo. Everything stock on the car.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
Nu18F

Drives: 2011 Yaris
Could be the water pump- look for evidence of coolant.
Nu18F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
danggilmore

Thats what i thought it was but i just replaced it! there was a coolant leak but all is well now with a new gasket and pump.