Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Hmm, how is the connection "loose". Does it jiggle around in there or does the connector just slide out? Probably putting it in the wrong way or probably not pushing it in all the way. It should click into place. Disconnect that harness and then try to put in the connector. It should slide right in and click into place.

You can use those splice connectors or the t-tap splice connectors. Just remember to get the right gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tap1.jpg (29.5 KB, 116 views)
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #20
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
Just remember to get the right gauge.
Do you know what gauge the Yaris foglight wiring is? I'm planning on adding fog lights myself. I bought these and want to make sure they are right before I get started.

/threadjack
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Do you know what gauge the Yaris foglight wiring is? I'm planning on adding fog lights myself. I bought these and want to make sure they are right before I get started.

/threadjack
You might want to get a couple of 14-16 gauge ones as well. There are a variety of different gauges used. The important thing is to make sure that you match the tap splice to the gauge of the wire on the car (never use a tap splice that is smaller than the car's wire or you will damage the wire). Or, use a T-splice like in FunctionSpec's pic. These allow you to connect two wires with different gauges.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
FunctionSpec

It only goes in one way, if I turn it any of the three other ways it doesn't even go in. It just slides in and out quite easily, no 'click' in place.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #23
MadMax

OK, got the ACC power (purple wire) working, although I may have to tap it into the white wire CTScott recommended as it still doesn't seem to snap in tightly. But the light on the switch does work when I depress it.

But now I still have to do the pink wire to the green/white wire near the shifter. I pulled the console again and noticed there are two pink wires on the connector to the fog light switch...

I just want to make sure I want the one on the left, next to the striped wire.

And, of course, this is where I tap it in...

And, just to put the cherry on top, I just noticed that the driver's side fog light lense is cracked. Must've taken a rock already. Freaking heck, I just can't win with these things!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #24
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Purple wire is suppose to be constant power and not ACC(switched power) but you can set it up the way you are right now. The way you are setting it up right now allows the foglights to only turn on if you have key set to "ACC" and have parking lights on.

If you put the purple wire to a constant power, you can turn on and off the foglights with just the parking lights without having the key in the ignition. Since the headlights & parking lights can be turned on/off without the key in the ignition, wiring the purple wire to a constant power makes the function of turning the fogs on/off more linear with everything else.

The light pink wire splits into a "Y" so thats why there is 2 pink wires right at the harness. If you go further down the harness, there is only one pink wire and you connect that one pink wire to the green wire on the harness with the green/white wires.

Also since its connected to the illumination circuit, if you dim your interior lights too low, it will shut off the fog lights.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #25
MadMax

Gotacha, I am going with the instructions you sent me, so the purple wire is tapped into the fuse box where you said it needed to go. I will strip down the harness to find where the two pink wires converge and then cut and tap that into the green wire as shown. That is the right wiring show in the second picture, right? I have an auto, and I thought on manuals it doesn't connect to anything as it does on my car.

Thanks! M2
Old 11-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
MadMax

FINALLY!

I am not sure how I got it, but they work! I got the tap and connected the pink wire to the green wire by the shifter; and for the purple wire I put a female end on it and plugged it into the two open male ends in the fuse box.

The fog lights come on when the button is depressed and the lights are on. Turn the lights off, and they go off. Just what I wanted. I also checked the dimmer switch, and it has no impact on the fog lights.

Now, I still have a cracked lenses on the driver's side; but I will contend to that when I get a chance. For now the lights work and look great.

And now I can also do my one-minute vid for the other thread. I have to find a nice place to film it, I would love to do so in front of the Alamo but traffic is blocked off from getting there. I have a few ideas and hope to get my vid up soon!

Again, thanks for all the help; especially FunctionSpec who has been more than patient in guiding me through this!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #27
MadMax

Here's proof...

Cheers! M2
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #28
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Nice job MadMax !

I think you owe FunctionSpec a few
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
MadMax

Rev

Thanks, and I agree with owing FunctionSpec a few !

Cheers! M2
Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #30
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Awesome, glad you got everything working :. Lets drink a couple beers to celebrate this successful installation