Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
mf4361

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Yaris battery dead?

My Yaris won't turn on this evening.
Last time I drove it was 3 days ago and it was completely normal. Today I tried to get in, aftermarket remote lock doesn't unlock the doors. When I turn the ignition, there is no sign of turning on at all. No light on cluster, starter motor was silence. Even the dome light in cabin and trunk bulb wasn't lit. A friend of mine came in for help, tried to jump start it and no luck.

I thought it might be the battery dead. But can a battery go from normal to dead in 3 days? What could be the possible cause? I live in Canada and it's quite cold and snowy out there now. Could it be part of the reason?

I have a Canadian Yaris 2007 Sedan AT. Thanks and greatly appreciate your help.
mf4361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
First check the battery voltage. Second check the alternator. It happened to me in the parking lot. I park my car and try to lock the door with my remote. It wont work at all.
At first I thought was the fuse or the battery. After I pop the hood and check the fuse box. I notice none of the fuse is out. I call my wife and had her bring jump cable. It works when I jump start it. After I drove in a block and I can feel the car is going to die out. I was luck got enough time pull in to the gas station.

I jump start it again. It was start okay but once I pull the jump cable out the vehicle is out. I took the battery out and brought over to Autozone had them check. The battery is fine. At this time its gotta be the alternator. I purchase Autozone alternator and installed it in the parking lot. It took me 6 hours cold night in the parking lot. I had one of my friends over holding flash light for me.

Autozone alternator it works but the battery light stay on and off. I ending up purchase OEM alternator and solve the problem. The good thing is Autozone allow me return it and get full refund.

Good luck!
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
check battery connections for corrosion and bad connections?? ...if only for a free easy fix
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
mf4361

thanks for the help!

With a friend of mine's multimeter, I realize the battery has just 2.5V, and this is because I was stupid enough to forgot to switch off the dome light, and it draws all the power. (And this explains everything is dead and why jump lead doesn't work)
Is there anyway I can charge it back? He offered to help me by charging it with a 12V charger at home. But if that doesn't work, does that mean my battery is officially dead and need a replacement?

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
You can take the battery into any auto parts store and they can run it through a test.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariseggvvti View Post

Autozone alternator it works but the battery light stay on and off. I ending up purchase OEM alternator and solve the problem. The good thing is Autozone allow me return it and get full refund.

Good luck!
How much did you pay for the OEM alternator (if you don't mind my asking)? My OEM alternator started to develop symptoms in Arkansas while on a trip driving from TX to MN in 2010. I made it to MN (Twin Cities Metro) and stayed near Burnsville, MN. The next day I went to the local Toyota dealer and they quoted me $623 and change for the OEM alternator and $175 and change for the labor (I happened to be looking at my notes on this the other day). I went to the closest Sears. The service writer made some calls and said he had good news. The shop that he thinks does the best work was also the cheapest and he got me a remanufactured one from that company and they (Sears) put it in. My total was somewhere between $350-395, instead of over $800. I've got almost 80K on that alternator, but if it goes out I obviously wouldn't do the same deal again as it is much too far away...so I want to be as well prepared as possible (have as much information as possible) should the need arise.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
yariseggvvti

nookandcrannycar, It was a nightmare and great experience got it done in the parking lot. The OEM alternator I got is 455. I got a discount for it. The one I got from Autozone is 225 and plus core charge 75. I return the core to Autozone next day and they credit me back.

My alternator was out in 70k with no sign at all.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
nookandcrannycar, It was a nightmare and great experience got it done in the parking lot. The OEM alternator I got is 455. I got a discount for it. The one I got from Autozone is 225 and plus core charge 75. I return the core to Autozone next day and they credit me back.

My alternator was out in 70k with no sign at all.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Are you the original owner of your Yaris ?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf4361 View Post
I thought it might be the battery dead. But can a battery go from normal to dead in 3 days? What could be the possible cause? I live in Canada and it's quite cold and snowy out there now. Could it be part of the reason?

I have a Canadian Yaris 2007 Sedan AT. Thanks and greatly appreciate your help.
I had my Yaris battery go from good to bad in 2 days. Saturday it was fine ... and on Monday it was totally dead. So it is possible. In my case .. I replaced the battery and the car has been working fine since.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
yariseggvvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Thanks for the info. Are you the original owner of your Yaris ?
Yes, I am. I had it since 2007. Love it!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Undo the negative terminal ( that the black cable) for a bit not sure how long maybe a 30 or more minutes and hook it back on. Start her up!! If nothing happens, check your fuse to the main relay it might have blown up. Other than that charge your battery and see if that works or get it jump started.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
mf4361

Thanks for all the advice! I will update about it when I get my battery back from my friend later today.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Yes, I am. I had it since 2007. Love it!