Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Question Short Shifter Question

Hi all,

I was very excited to have installed my short shifter this morning and updated my Facebook status about it. Someone commented that having them screws up the synchros in the tranny over time. Can anyone confirm this or comment since I really have no clue what he's talking about? Any input is greatly appreciated
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I've run the Piggies short shift kit for over 70,000 kl. (since my car was a baby) and have no negatives to report. I am considering adding the shift lever extension from NST to further reduce my throw.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Thanks Muskoka800! I basically never shift higher than 3000RPMs; not sure if that will help.
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
I've run the Piggies short shift kit for over 70,000 kl. (since my car was a baby) and have no negatives to report. I am considering adding the shift lever extension from NST to further reduce my throw.
You do realize that the shifter extension will make the throw longer right? If anything it will help reduce the shifting effort increase that that short shift kit introduced.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
A short shifter simply changes the fulcrum point of the shifter. That change will not effect anything mechanical.

Now, a driver not used to the short shifter and grinding gears, will indeed mess up the synchros.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
TWM Performance

Drives: 84 GTI, 90 GTR, 97 Si
A short shifter will not mess up the synchros. The way you shift could affect them if you do not properly use the clutch after the short shifter installation, but if you continue to correctly use it will not do any damage. We've been selling short shifters for 10 years without any transmission issue related to the short shifter!

Frank
Team TWM Performance
TWM Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Thanks for the responses! I feel much better now. I have confidence in my clutch use so I should be good =) Thanks again!