Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
I want 5-6 second 0-60mph times.

So, the Mrs. is currently driving my 2010 4d LB. It's an automatic with the 1nzfe in it, right?
I drive a g35, and the acceleration is spot on. But for some reason, I miss that 220,000 mile yaris...
But it's soooo slow.

The yaris is VERY well maintained. Always changed the fluids, and maintained the crap out of it. Still drives like the day I bought it... I did drive it kinda hard sometimes. Lots of 80mph+ for extended periods of time.

So I don't think I can do much with the 1nzfe. Probably no boost.
I read that the 2ZR engine is supposed to be an easy swap, and holds up to 300hp right?
But even after you swap it, you need to buy turbo parts, install it, tune it, etc. Is it a direct swap?

I know everyone says it won't fit, but why not use a 3sgte? It's a 2.0L, only 200CC more, right? And then there's the AWD transmissions for when I want to bite that bullet someday and make it happen.

Plus I want a hobby, and I have a little bit of money. The Yaris seems like a better idea for modifying too.
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
If the body is in good condition then i'd say just stock w/ a basic 2zr swap.

The turbo'd ones aren't that common (from my research) and not ideal for a reliable dd. If you drop all that cash to turbo it plus dyno time and then want to make it an awd you're already putting in more than double what the car is worth almost brand new.

My point isn't the typical "why, it's just a Yaris" my point is there are many other cars out there that have much better aftermarket support and have tune friendly (or hacked) ECU's and will cost less so you can do more (likely even be more reliable boosted too).

This way you can put more money into modifying the car and less trying to make one single mod work.

That said why not eithe mod your G35 or sell it for an even better project car you want to work on?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The bulk of what you are discussing has already been done too many times to count. There are stickies in the Performance Modifications area that could help you find the answers that you seek. The true bottom line is that even today, after the platform has been in North America for well over a decade, it isn't a prime platform for cheap power.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
2GR supercharged placed in the back like mid engine rear wheel drive Yaris...now that would be awesome project :P
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
chriswf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
2GR supercharged placed in the back like mid engine rear wheel drive Yaris...now that would be awesome project :P
Yeah I've seen a build or 2 that used a 4ag or 3efte engine in the back of the Yaris. And I'd totally do this. But last time I researched that, it'd be a 20,000$ swap. My brother can weld - but he welds roofing and fencing stuff. I don't think he knows how to align motor mounts and such.

I don't want to mod the g35. I'm just not feeling it.

I drove the Yaris last night, the first time in forever. It was scary. Like I mashed the pedal once to cross traffic - and with a few people in the car, it crawled through the RPMs... It was terrifying. Other than that - the turn radius, simplicity in driving it, all that stuff was still there. It'd do great with more power.
Anything I do to the Yaris, will be worth more than the value of the car. My car values under 3000$ due to all the miles.

When you ask why Yaris - the answer is because it's a Yaris!
B/c they won't expect this

Hmm, 2GR would get me that 5-6 second time... It's open deck so I probably can't turbo it much right?
This might be something I will consider doing. It's a 5000$ engine though... You could spend less on a 3s or a 4age and get it into your car quicker (or with less money) - then I can tune it later.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswf View Post

When you ask why Yaris - the answer is because it's a Yaris!
B/c they won't expect this
I love my Yaris, and that is one of the big reasons I want to work on it.

I like the fact that my car's value is so low. I don't worry about hurting the value because it has no where to go. LoL.

I mod mine, because I want to do it for me.

I am currently doing the 2zrfe swap, and really taking my time cleaning and painting weird little rust spots, and painting suspension parts to make it look nice. Not show quality, but nice enough for me. I am actually painting the entire outside of the car myself. I will have the satisfaction, that I did it. Even if it doesn't turn out great.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
chriswf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
I love my Yaris, and that is one of the big reasons I want to work on it.

I like the fact that my car's value is so low. I don't worry about hurting the value because it has no where to go. LoL.

I mod mine, because I want to do it for me.

I am currently doing the 2zrfe swap, and really taking my time cleaning and painting weird little rust spots, and painting suspension parts to make it look nice. Not show quality, but nice enough for me. I am actually painting the entire outside of the car myself. I will have the satisfaction, that I did it. Even if it doesn't turn out great.
I'd probably wrap it, myself - heheh. For price, simplicity, durability, etc. If I were going to pay someone to do it - I'd pay them to paint it. I worked in a body shop, and I know how painfully long it'll take for me to paint my entire car. I could wrap it in a weekend for ~200$.

I'll never sell my Yaris. I paid over $17,000 for it - so no way in hell am I selling it for anything less than 3000.
Might as well do something to it... Otherwise it's going to sit around for 15 years until my son gets a drivers license lol.