Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
opor24

Drives: Yaris 2009
what snow tires good for Yaris Hatchback.

I will go buy new snow tires this weekend because a lot of snow will coming soon. yesterday I was so scared drove up to hill on icy snow hills. It's almost can't up to small hills its make me shaking for 5 mins. I just drive this yaris for 4 months. I want to know what's snow tire is good for yaris.? How many to change? all 4 or just 2 front?
Thanks for expert.
opor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
change all 4 tires to snows

any snow tire will be 100x better than an all season...get what you can afford

i have snow trakker's on my yaris....lol
Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Yep, all four tires-the fronts to steer and give traction and the rears to help keep the back end from fish tailing and to help braking. I've put Michelin X-Ice X2 on mine and so far so good. The other top rated tire is the Toyo Observe G0-2 which has ground up walnut shells imbedded in the tread-works like a studded tire sorta so I read. Either of these is at the higher end of the price scale. Yokahamas are good or check with your favorite tire store to recommend some.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
yeah, i think i'm going to get some snows very soon. we had roughly an inch of snow the other night and it caught everyone by surprise(especially the d.o.t.). it melted right before morning rush hour and re-froze so basically all roads were solid ice! no plows were out salting or anything and cars were all over the place! i drive extremely slow when it's like this and a couple times i just started sliding sideways from tapping the brakes. i was pumping the brakes, but nothing mattered(i hate that helpless feeling)! our oem goodyears are NOT good on ice!!!!!!!!!!!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I've used Goodyear Nordic tires for a couple of winters now and they are awesome at all types of snowy and icy conditions. Especially heavy snow. Last winter there was a Ford truck stuck on my street in his own driveway and I was able to putter on by without a second thought.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Any name brand winter boot will work.
If you're on Goodyear LS then hurry up and switch. Mine came with those and they're simply an accident waiting to happen.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I have cheap Firestone Winterforce tires on my Yaris. There hasn't been serious snow (yet), but they have been great so far. They are a little loud, but not terrible.

I ran the same tires on my 2WD Ford Ranger for two years, and they were excellent in New England winters.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I'm using dunlop 3d on my Mazda3 on stock 17"...no complaint whatsoever.

Too bad they don't have the winter tire for 215/35/18 size.....I can't go smaller because of my brembo brake cover....:(
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Just bought and installed 4 Goodyear Nordic tires today! (for those in the US, they're a Goodyear made exclusively for Canadian Tire) There is 30+cms in the forecast and I CANNOT wait to take them for a spin tomorrow!

Unless you're driving an old beater...I would highly recommend changing all four tires. Also, I'm at 35,000 kms and my stock Eagle LS performed horribly on 1-2 cms of snow, wettish/icy roads. Buy winter tires!!

***just as an update? i went home to what was only 15cms and a plowed in driveway...the tires made quick work of that! no shovelling required!!***

Last edited by watersoilair; 12-10-2009 at 10:41 AM.
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Just had Continental Extreme Winter Contacts put on mine last night. Woke up to another 3" of snow (with rain falling) this morning. Hadn't taken her out with the stock tires on, so I don't have a comparison for the new winter tires. But it seemed to handle fine, and allowed me to plow through areas that weren't properly plowed by the trucks.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersoilair View Post
Just bought and installed 4 Goodyear Nordic tires today! (for those in the US, they're a Goodyear made exclusively for Canadian Tire) There is 30+cms in the forecast and I CANNOT wait to take them for a spin tomorrow!

Unless you're driving an old beater...I would highly recommend changing all four tires. Also, I'm at 35,000 kms and my stock Eagle LS performed horribly on 1-2 cms of snow, wettish/icy roads. Buy winter tires!!
Ya right now there is a serious blizzard going on out there, proper zero visability as well. Tires performed well, didn't slide all over the place. But had to watch out for moron SUV and trucks who think they can drive the normal speed in a snowstorm and not spin out.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
opor24

Drives: Yaris 2009
This evening my husband will take this car to change tire. Firestone winterforce. full set at 419 with labor.
opor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
even though i hate the hum of my open-tread winters on the dry, they kicked ass in the slush this morning
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
I have cheap Firestone Winterforce tires on my Yaris. There hasn't been serious snow (yet), but they have been great so far. They are a little loud, but not terrible.

I ran the same tires on my 2WD Ford Ranger for two years, and they were excellent in New England winters.
Those Winterforces are probably the most aggressive traditional winter tire out there. Suppose rip through snow like nothing. How do they handle on dry pavement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opor24
This evening my husband will take this car to change tire. Firestone winterforce. full set at 419 with labor.
$419 for Yaris size Winterforce's? They're $272 with shipping from TireRack. Labor seems a bit steep.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
hop

Drives: 08 Yaris HB manual
I have nexen wingaurd 231 that i got last winter from walmart, awesome tires i think i paid around $300. tires sound good and awesome traction.

last winter we hard lots of snow.. 1 night coming home from work at 11 at night there was 8 inchs of snow and still snowing on the road for about 8 kms, once i got home i parked on the side of the road these pics are the morning after.

first pic you can see the roof of a shed was close to 3 feet altogether.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 600.jpg (121.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 602.jpg (190.4 KB, 144 views)
hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
09box

Drives: 09 grey Yaris hatch
I'm riding on a set of older WS-50 Blizzaks I got from Craigslist. I've had no problem with them in a foot of snow on unplowed roads. They can be a little loud on dry roads but I can't complain..
09box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #17
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I'm using General Altimax Arctic's on my Yaris with no complaints so far.