Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
I have owned so many deep dish wheels and owned those exact wheels in the stock silver finish with flat caps and can tell you that to fit on a yaris, you will need atleast 3.5 degrees of camber along with rolling the fender. Unless you want to wear a mouthpiece when you drive...then you might be able to get away with less camber but you'll still have to pull/roll. Looks good though...especially on white.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Is stretching the sidewall like that safe?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Hey i would go -3 with a rolled fender and you should be good, cause you want it prefectly flush with the lip. This is going to be awesome!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
hatchblack

Drives: '08 yaris hatch
walter, that fitment will look sweet! you can't let the vdub guys have all the fun!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
Whatever you end up with I'm sure it will look sick bro.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #24
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrj View Post
Is stretching the sidewall like that safe?
no it is not
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
no it is not
Why is that? I have never had any issue at all with stretched tires. As long as they are inflated properly, they should be just fine.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
stretching tires puts extra stress on the sidewall, and tires are not meant to be seated at that steep of an angle. If you over inflate to keep the tire seated you put even more stress on the sidewalls, and if you under inflate to keep the stress down on the sidewall, you run the risk of unseating the bead.

Over all forcing something way beyond it's normal limit is usually a bad idea
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #27
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Stretched tires lol
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
PHXDEMON

seriously though I would never stretch tires for the following reasons

Tires distorted due to being fitted to too wide a rim requiring much higher inflation pressures to prevent excessive wear on the edges of the tread surface
Rough choppy ride due to higher inflation requirements
Likelyhood of actually having the tire coming off the bead if impacted
Higher wear rate on suspension components
Higher wear rate on wheel bearings
Poor directional stability due to wrong offset being used
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
PHXDEMON

This actually originated on euro cars due to laws passed that only allowed a certain width of tire tread on vehicles. So people started running ridiculously wide wheels with the same size tires to "rebel" against the new standards.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #30
DerFlosser

Never heard of any of those complaints from anybody running stretched tires. I don't find the ride quality any different and suspension components are doing just fine. The biggest problem I can see is unseating the bead. Aside from that, I think most of the rest of the complaints against stretched tires don't really hold up very well.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #31
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
GDF's: God Damn Flushaholics!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Never heard of any of those complaints from anybody running stretched tires.
+1.

phxdemon, state your source for all the claims in post #28 -- then we can have a real, informed discussion on the matter.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #33
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
common sense would tell you that a stretched tire is not as safe as a tire on the correct width wheel:

1. grip is reduced
2. tire will be much hotter during operation (you are placing more load on the sidewalls, because they're designed to support weight on a "vertical" plane, not leaned over to the side. because the sidewall of the tire is now being stressed outside of it's safety zone, the extra movement of the sidewall during motion will create much more heat
3. more heat = less speed capability. if the tire is rated to 118mph on a stock wheel, give it about 80mph stretched.
4. when you stretch a tire, you are creating a "cup" in the center of the tread. this leaves the "corners" of the tires pushing more onto the road unless the pressures are raised internally.
5. raising the internal pressure of the tire to prevent weird wear patterns decreases contact patch, and increases growth during the hot cycle (see boyle's law)

common sense people.

stretching is for poseurs and show queens. would you trust your life to half a comdom? no? you'd rather have a whole condom in place during intercourse? but a half a condom looks so much more "flush"!!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #34
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
would you trust your life to half a comdom? no? you'd rather have a whole condom in place during intercourse? but a half a condom looks so much more "flush"!!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #35
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
common sense would tell you that a stretched tire is not as safe as a tire on the correct width wheel:

1. grip is reduced
2. tire will be much hotter during operation (you are placing more load on the sidewalls, because they're designed to support weight on a "vertical" plane, not leaned over to the side. because the sidewall of the tire is now being stressed outside of it's safety zone, the extra movement of the sidewall during motion will create much more heat
3. more heat = less speed capability. if the tire is rated to 118mph on a stock wheel, give it about 80mph stretched.
4. when you stretch a tire, you are creating a "cup" in the center of the tread. this leaves the "corners" of the tires pushing more onto the road unless the pressures are raised internally.
5. raising the internal pressure of the tire to prevent weird wear patterns decreases contact patch, and increases growth during the hot cycle (see boyle's law)

common sense people.

stretching is for poseurs and show queens. would you trust your life to half a comdom? no? you'd rather have a whole condom in place during intercourse? but a half a condom looks so much more "flush"!!

people in touge and drift have been stretching there tires for plenty of years and you don't see them complaining. Drifting requires maximum grip out of a tire and I see lots of pro's stretching. Although most of those people actually care a lot about show, but to each their own. No one said you had to stretch tamango.

I give the op credit just for trying it
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #36
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Stretching a small tire on a wide rim correctly is very hard too do...If done properly it will not fail and looks amazing, and to go flush it must be done because the lip of the wheel has to line up with the fender edge to be considered "Flush", there can be no poke at all. They actually make tires that are made to pretty much be stretched and are used for negative camber. Alot of VW owners use them....