Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
EPyarisdriver
...or Vegas for short

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3door LB
Voiding a warranty

anyone know what performance modifications will void a dealerships warranty? im planning to add headers, exhaust, and an intake to the yaris soon but i dont want to void anything.. help?
EPyarisdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
*waits for some uninformed person to start spouting off about the magnusson moss act.

But in the mean time, yes those can all void warranties. BUT, done properly most dealerships will let them slide.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
EPyarisdriver
...or Vegas for short

ok i guess ill just have to ask the dealership if theyll let them slide
Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Best thing to do is keep the oem stuff around just in case and u can swap parts if it comes down to that.

Dealer is going to have a hard time trying to prove anything with the oem parts on the car.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
EPyarisdriver
...or Vegas for short

Thanks ill do that too
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
evoxgsr

Drives: evo x gsr
The MMWA is basically the answer, but if your doing your own work on your car your not really going to need the dealer to warranty anything except the tranny and engine in which case you might have your hands full. Best answer is always to save to stock parts and go back to stock if any problems do arise. You can always ask around and try to find a mod friendly dealer.
Speed Circuit UICP, CAI-BLOX velocity stack-Waste Gate mod 4 turns-TWM Short Shifter with 400gram knob-COBB AP, Turbo Inlet Hose-UR HFC, 4.5"intercooler, dual exit catback-Perrin Rear Swaybar-Enkei RPF1s 18x9.5 Black-HKS SSQV recirc-AMS downpipe, SS brake lines, LICP-Grimmspeed 3 port-boost gauge in ashtray-Rally Armour UR Mudflaps-Rexpeed CF HoodScoop, VG-Swift Springs- APR Front Splitter-AEM AFR Gauge
evoxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Put it this way, if you install a header and later down the road your O2 sensor failed they could deny you a warranty claim because the header could be the cause. But if you had a problem with the wipers, they aren't going to deny you warranty because of a header.

Catch where I'm going with this...
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Put it this way, if you install a header and later down the road your O2 sensor failed they could deny you a warranty claim because the header could be the cause. But if you had a problem with the wipers, they aren't going to deny you warranty because of a header.

Catch where I'm going with this...
Mississippi?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
*waits for some uninformed person to start spouting off about the magnusson moss act.

But in the mean time, yes those can all void warranties. BUT, done properly most dealerships will let them slide.
As an uninformed person Ill answer the following: you warranty cannot be voided by modifying you car. If you install a header & your A/C dies the dealer cannot void you warranty, and yes the Magnuson-Moss Act & SEMA protect consumers from you warranty be voided by dealerships. Now anything is possible & if a dealer voids your warranty & you do not have the means or time to fight it well then anything can happen.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
if a dealer voids your warranty & you do not have the means or time to fight it well then anything can happen.....
ding ding ding.

WHEN a dealer voids your warranty, legal fees to fight it will cost more than what your warranty is covering. Welcome to America.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
does anyone know which aftermarket parts would void insurance? i've heard mixed things about this.
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeng View Post
does anyone know which aftermarket parts would void insurance? i've heard mixed things about this.
A dealer can only deny warranty coverage on an aftermarket part that directly affects the area of the warranty. Say you get an aftermarket header, and it blows and breaks the exhaust system downward from it, the dealer can deny that because the problem was directly caused by the aftermarket part.

Or if you installed a new suspension and it completely failed, any damage that happened because of the modified suspension would not be covered under warranty.

And yes, both those examples are absurdly far fetched.

What they cannot do is deny warranty coverage on the engine if you're car has aftermarket wheels and a spoiler.

And it is always good to check around and see if there are dealers that are mod friendly, or sell and install mods themselves.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
ding ding ding.

WHEN a dealer voids your warranty, legal fees to fight it will cost more than what your warranty is covering. Welcome to America.
It seems to me with your "Welcome to America" that you feel that you are at a disadvantage being in America, am I assuming wrong?
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
It seems to me with your "Welcome to America" that you feel that you are at a disadvantage being in America, am I assuming wrong?
I'm sure he thinks warranty issues seem to be better in a third world country or something?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #15
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
ding ding ding.

Yeah, but don't forget the dealer has legal fees as well! Why do you think all big companies settle? Because it's cheaper than going to court, even if they are sure to win. That's the sad part...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
I was actually asking a different question. It is related so I was wondering if anyone here would have info.

I'm not worried about my warranty. I'm worried about my auto insurance with Metlife. I've heard that if you are ever involved in a crash with aftermarket parts, your insurance could be voided, leaving you without coverage. How are people insuring their cars with aftermarket parts?
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeng View Post
I was actually asking a different question. It is related so I was wondering if anyone here would have info.

I'm not worried about my warranty. I'm worried about my auto insurance with Metlife. I've heard that if you are ever involved in a crash with aftermarket parts, your insurance could be voided, leaving you without coverage. How are people insuring their cars with aftermarket parts?
thats 100% false. They cant leave you without coverage. this is like an urban legend that wont die.

if you did something really stupid they still have to cover it but can drop you right after.

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
ross sez

Drives: 08 Yaris 5spd Sedan
Most insurance companies, when you fill out their policies, will ask whether or not your car has custom parts/aftermarket modifications that are valued over a certain amount. Progressive, I believe, won't cover anything worth over $1,000.

If I'm wrong please correct me.
ross sez is offline   Reply With Quote