Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
ARES_1

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB/MT
Strut Bar Torque

I just got my Nitto Upper Front Strut Bar in from MicroImage (nice piece) but was surprised that it didn't come with any install info. Now there's no issue with how it goes in but some bolt torque figures might be nice.

I heard somplace (maybe here) that the car should be off the ground when you tighten things up. Any other tidbits that I should be aware of?

TIA
Paul_F
Old 09-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
yeah get the front end off the ground, and Ive been told with the weight as centered as possible. this lets the outer edges "sag" if you will. When you put the bar on and let it down, the pressure is on the bar and is supposed to help get rid of upper chassis flex.
I believe you'll need to remove the cowl above the tower to access bolts too.
As far as bolt torque settings, cant help there, sorry. If it me, I would set them at, tight.(+-1)

Last edited by sickpuppy1; 09-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ That only applies to adjustable strut braces like Tanabe -- the Nitto is not adjustable.

I've never removed the cowling to install a strut brace.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
We had to remove the plastic cowling AND the entire metal cowl with wiper motor when doing my struts.

So I would imagine to get to the bolts for the brace it would be the same, right?

And I would torque it down REAL tight. Sometimes strut towers can come loose over time.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I would imagine to get to the bolts for the brace it would be the same, right?
No, it's not the same. Go look at your car, where the two holes are for the strut brace. Easily accessed with regular tools.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
ARES_1

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ That only applies to adjustable strut braces like Tanabe -- the Nitto is not adjustable.
What only applies to adjustable strut braces - the front end off the ground?

Paul_F
Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Got it and thanks, garm.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ no problem, I've put a bunch of those in for customers that came by in person. Way easier with two people, because the nuts have to be accessed from below.

@ ares_1 -- yes the off the ground part. That is intended for strut braces that can be tensioned. I'll say I'm 99% sure of this point, someone might correct me though!