Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
JerseyJeff84

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Oil Changes: Is Every 3,000 overkill?

I was doing a pre-trip yesterday of my fluids, tires, etc and was wondering.......even though new cars are recommended waiting until 5,000 miles for an oil change, would it be wasting time/money having it done every 3,000 like the old days? Also, could it be a "bad" thing somehow, to do it every 3,000? Just curious.

I don't mind waiting every 5,000; I just tend to be OCD about staying on top of car maintenance and getting the best out of it. I have a 2010 Yaris, it's last oil change was at 29,000 and it's at almost 32,000 right now.
JerseyJeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I change mine once a year...then again I'm using Amsoil products. lol. Even with regular conventional oil, cars now days can run 5k-7,500 miles between oil changes. I'm talking about non-sports cars. Driving style and environmental factors also play a roll in oil change intervals too.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
There is some evidence that changing the oil "too often" causes more wear than just leaving it alone. The fresh detergents in the new oil do such a good job that they clean off some of the layer of anti-wear additives applied by the previous oil.

Plus, it's just wasteful. Toyota recommends 5,000 miles with conventional API approved oils. I've never seen any evidence that this isn't a perfectly conservative interval. And like KL says above, if you want to spend some extra money on synthetic, extending your changes out to 10,000 miles isn't unreasonable.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yes, it is an outdated philosophy and a huge waste of precious resources!

I honestly wish such beliefs that frequent oil changes are a necessity, which is a leftover from the 1970s, would simply go away. You are not doing anyone a favor by throwing away perfectly good oil, and even if you recycle it you are still not getting the maximum use out of it!

If you are that concerned, send off a sample of your used oil for analysis. I am betting you will find that it is in a lot better shape than you imagine.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
3k/3 month interval:

Conventional Oil 10w-30 (40qts needed for 25k miles)
@ $3.00/qt * 40 = $120.00
8 Standard Filters
@ 6.00/filter * 8 = 48.00

Total: $168.00

AMSOIL 25k/1 year interval:

AMSOIL 10w-30 (5 qts needed for 25k miles)
@ 7.35/qt * 5 = $47.75
1 EaO Filter
@ 18.30

Total: $55.05

Savings: $112.95 annually

Even if you only drive 12k miles per year you are saving just in oil/filter costs not to mention the following benefits:

- Easier cold-temp starting
- Improved fuel economy over time
- Cleaner running engine
- Cooler running temps
- Should experience more power/throttle response
- Less engine wear
- Longer intervals between changes which means less inconvenience of the car being at the shop

I wouldn't use a standard oil for more than 3k miles so if you are fixed on using conventional then yeah stick with 3k changes, but it is a monumental waste all around.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
eddy
love to drive

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Wink

I change my oil every 4000km.Each oil change costs me 20.00 cdn.Using penzoil or quakerstate.work for auto parts store.So why not cheap and I can check evrything to catch any problems early
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
5000 miles is fine for non-synthetic oil, but I wouldn't push it further. I run full synthetic and go 8000 miles between oil changes. both the synthetic at 8k and the standard at 5k have the same look,feel and smell. (Yes I smell and feel the oil, I roll it between bare fingers feeling for gritiness) Both look,feel,smell better than 2500 mile oil out of my old air cooled VW.
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Or, Mobil1 extended drain once per year @ $27. for 5 quarts.

And Denso oil filter twice per year @ $3.x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
3k/3 month interval:

Conventional Oil 10w-30 (40qts needed for 25k miles)
@ $3.00/qt * 40 = $120.00
8 Standard Filters
@ 6.00/filter * 8 = 48.00

Total: $168.00

AMSOIL 25k/1 year interval:

AMSOIL 10w-30 (5 qts needed for 25k miles)
@ 7.35/qt * 5 = $47.75
1 EaO Filter
@ 18.30

Total: $55.05

Savings: $112.95 annually

Even if you only drive 12k miles per year you are saving just in oil/filter costs not to mention the following benefits:

- Easier cold-temp starting
- Improved fuel economy over time
- Cleaner running engine
- Cooler running temps
- Should experience more power/throttle response
- Less engine wear
- Longer intervals between changes which means less inconvenience of the car being at the shop

I wouldn't use a standard oil for more than 3k miles so if you are fixed on using conventional then yeah stick with 3k changes, but it is a monumental waste all around.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Happy Little Pony

I've decided to put my money where my mouth is. I'm going out and buying cheap oil I'm running it for six thousand miles, just to prove a point. I believe any decent API SN oil will serve the basic lubrication needs of the humble Toyota Yaris. I want to use actual research to prove my theory, not just speculation.

Now, what do I get? Wal-Mart Supertech? Chevron/Texaco Havoline? Partially recycled Valvoline Nextgen? Danica Patricks's favorite oil, Peak? I received a Valvoline rebate coupon in the mail, so I might use that. I'll just have to see what I can buy here locally that's cheap. The key word here is CHEAP.

When I'm done, I'll get an oil analysis to see how we did. I was going to get one to see if my new AFE air intake was cleaning good.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Cheapest oil I have found is SuperTech at Walmart. 5 qt jug ~$12.53 in 5-30. You might get cheaper at a sale but day in and day out its SuperTech.

Oh and my wifes Camry has 94K miles on it using mostly ST and my Yaris 31k about half of which is ST.

Wife goes 6k miles every 4 months when its changed and my car does ~2 or 3 k miles every 6 months when its changed.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Yes that is overkill. But if it gives you peace of mind. Oil is cheaper than an engine.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Happy Little Pony

Using my Valvoline rebate coupon, I can get $13 off of a jug of Nextgen Maxlife. This is the cheapest oil available to me at this moment in time here locally, but I really feel like that oil would defeat the purpose of this experiment. Since the Maxlife is ACEA A1 and meets DEXOS, it's a good oil that isn't a bad deal at it's $17.37 regular price. At $4.37 after rebate, it's a steal. The same coupon has the conventional Nextgen, but only gets a $10 rebate. It actually would cost me about a dollar more than the Maxlife.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Mobil Super 5000. It's a major brand name that's available almost everywhere and often goes on sale. It's not as rock bottom priced as the Supertech, but it's cheap enough to make for a fair test. It's on sale at O'Reilly's for $2.99 a quart. On a per quart basis, it costs more than a 5 quart jug does at Wal-Mart, but my immediate outlay of cash is less and I won't have to deal with that pesky leftover quart of oil.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Im curious about your "test" here. What exactly are you "testing"? The car will last as long, get as good mpg, whatever oil is in it. If you had two car one with synthetic oil and one with the cheapest dino around, no one would be alble to tell which was which if they didint already know.

As long as you use oil the OM says to, you are good.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Otter View Post
5000 miles is fine for non-synthetic oil, but I wouldn't push it further.
That is the problem... I have been changing my oil every 3k miles (However, I plan to extend it to 4k miles). But a lot of times, I am too busy to change it on time and I go over my intended interval to the next available weekend. So if I were to plan on 5k mile oil changes, I will be a nervous wreck if I happen to be too busy to change it and miss it. I drive at least 300miles per week. If I miss it by only two weeks, I would be over 600miles late. Or if there happens to be a trip to Vegas during that time, I would be 1.1k miles overdue. In all likelihood, there will be no damage but I would still be a nervous wreck...

So, 3k or even 4k mile intervals just gives me a buffer for those times I miss the mark.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Happy Little Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Im curious about your "test" here. What exactly are you "testing"? The car will last as long, get as good mpg, whatever oil is in it. If you had two car one with synthetic oil and one with the cheapest dino around, no one would be alble to tell which was which if they didint already know.

As long as you use oil the OM says to, you are good.
That's the problem. You say that the car will last just as long using conventional. And I think that you are correct. And by the way, so does Toyota. It's what they recommend. But how do I prove it?

In this thread you can see that people are scared of conventional oil. Don't use it past 5000 miles. Don't use it past 3000 miles, even. In other words, conventional oil equals BAD oil. I think that this is wrong, and that a modern API approved conventional oil is quite capable of handling the lubrication needs of the 1nzfe up to 5000 miles. And even well beyond that.

So, to test my theory, I'm going to put cheap Mobil Super 5000 in my car and run that oil out past 6000 miles. Then I'm going get an oil analysis performed and see how the oil held up. I can then use this information to make an informed choice about my cars lubrication needs, not just make idle speculation. My warranty is expired. I can do stuff like this now!

And, really, I was going to get one done to see if my new air intake was doing a good job of cleaning. This just makes for a more interesting oil change and offers me some amusement in my otherwise drab life.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Or, Mobil1 extended drain once per year @ $27. for 5 quarts.

And Denso oil filter twice per year @ $3.x2.
Mobil1 does make a good product however if you think that you can just buy their regular line and get the same results/protection as their top of the line stuff which coincidentally is the part of their line comparable to AMSOIL extended drain interval and Signature series oil you are mistaken. You can purchase the OEM level AMSOIL and save money, but in the long run you are actually spending more money and time rather than going with their extended interval products.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Yes, it is an outdated philosophy and a huge waste of precious resources!

I honestly wish such beliefs that frequent oil changes are a necessity, which is a leftover from the 1970s, would simply go away. You are not doing anyone a favor by throwing away perfectly good oil, and even if you recycle it you are still not getting the maximum use out of it!

If you are that concerned, send off a sample of your used oil for analysis. I am betting you will find that it is in a lot better shape than you imagine.
I pretty much agree, and am pretty loose with my regimen. I sort of view my car as an experiment...sort of playing it like an instrument to wring out the lowest cost per mile while still keeping it safe mechanically. I bought the recommended spark plugs for my car from my local Toyota dealer (basically only pennies more that at an auto parts store. Soon after that, I had the spark plugs put in at another Toyota dealer (which charges less than the first one and less than anywhere else I found). I had the spark plugs put in (first change) at 208,828 miles. At that point (per records) I had done 15 oil changes with the longest gap miles wise being 34k and the shortest a bit over 2k. They looked for things to recommend to me -- only found air filter (which I was already planning to change later that day). They said everything appears fine re my engine -- not burning oil, and no other issues. I've changed my oil once since then, and I don't plan to step up my intervals much. My goal is to reevaluate at 375k miles. I've been averaging 75k miles per set of tires, so that would mean a set at 300k and those would last until 375k. I'll get at least 1 more battery along the way and am willing to go for wheel bearings, a clutch, and a water pump if the car needs those. So far I've only needed wheel bearings at 110k and an alternator at 159k. We'll see how my 'more lax than others' oil regimen works out.

I knew I did an oil change and the spark plugs with one at 207k+ and the other at 208k+, but I couldn't remember which was which for including above ^^^^^. I thought I might have posted that on Kal-El's long standing mileage thread. I started searching pages. En route, so to speak, I found an "Is 5,000 miles too long to wait for an oil change?'' thread from 2010 that Bronsin resurrected last month. I don't know how far back Bronsin looked on that 4 page thread, but I came across a pretty humorous post (#54) from NinjaPirate about checking the oil in his wife's 2005 (Aussie) ECHO after DOING ONLY ONE OIL CHANGE SINCE NEW OVER A 5 YEAR PERIOD !!!!!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Mobil1 does make a good product however if you think that you can just buy their regular line and get the same results/protection as their top of the line stuff which coincidentally is the part of their line comparable to AMSOIL extended drain interval and Signature series oil you are mistaken. You can purchase the OEM level AMSOIL and save money, but in the long run you are actually spending more money and time rather than going with their extended interval products.
Agreed! I run RedLine in my Land Cruiser and motorcycle, as they both run hot.

But the Yaris 1.5 is such a well designed engine, I slum it with Mobil1 from Walmart. It's still better than non synthetic, and it's $5.40 per quart.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote