Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoya View Post
I will try with this connector,but not today.I will have to wait til weekend.
We don't have much Yaris in my town,so the second option falls thru.
By the way,I forgot to tell you,there is a smaller connector that connects speedo gauge with the hausing,or something like that.Anyway I will try to do something.Thank's again.
I happen to have a European digital cluster that I imported to experiment with. When I have a chance I will open it up and see if there is anything that I can think of that would cause the behavior you are seeing.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
skoya

Drives: Yaris 1.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I happen to have a European digital cluster that I imported to experiment with. When I have a chance I will open it up and see if there is anything that I can think of that would cause the behavior you are seeing.
Great,you do that,thanks.Then send me a PM.
skoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
skoya

Here is the cluster and the clock on the right side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 831181.JPG (120.7 KB, 423 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That is the one that I have. I just disassembled mine and hooked it up on my test bench to experiment with it. The clock and odometer are a separate assembly from the rest of the instrument cluster. Does anything at all display on the clock area of yours?

European Cluster.jpg
Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
skoya

No nothing.Did you find something that can be replaced,or behind that LCD is a small electronic board.Maybe there is a malfunction,somethin broken or burned?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
No nothing.Did you find something that can be replaced,or behind that LCD is a small electronic board.Maybe there is a malfunction,somethin broken or burned?
The small LCD (which is actually a vacuum fluorescent display) for the clock and odometer is a separate assembly, so that could be replaced as it may be the bad part. There are three separate circuit boards - The large main on, the one that the speedometer display is mounted to, and the "Core" board, which snaps to the back of the large board. The Core board contains the primary processor for the cluster and it has the EEPROM where the odometer data is stored. Unfortunately you can't buy the boards separately from Toyota, but if you can track down one from a wrecked Yaris, which has a cluster with the same part number, then you can either swap the clock/odometer display onto yours or you can swap your core onto it.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
skoya

Yeah,but used clusters cost over 100$ on ebay,so it is a bit expensive.My dad is a electrician,so i wil disassemble the cluster and give him.Maybe he can find the problem.Anyway thank you for your response,i will notify you if i find something.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yeah,but used clusters cost over 100$ on ebay,so it is a bit expensive.My dad is a electrician,so i wil disassemble the cluster and give him.Maybe he can find the problem.Anyway thank you for your response,i will notify you if i find something.
It looks like there is one driver for both the small VFD and the large one, so my bet is that it is the VFD itself. I have a couple of right hand drive Japanese digital clusters that I pulled apart a while back. I noticed that the small VFD is identical between the JDM RHD one and the European LHD one. I swapped one of the JDM ones into the European cluster and it works fine. I have a couple of them, so if you want to try one let me know.

VFDs.jpg

JDM VFD.jpg
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
skoya

Ok,i am interested,tell me how we gonna do this.But i still need to be sure where is the problem with my clock.Give me few more days to test it,then i am going to let you know.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
skoya

Quote:
Ok,i am interested,tell me how we gonna do this.But i still need to be sure where is the problem with my clock.Give me few more days to test it,then i am going to let you know.
Here is the Pic of LCD.I was wondering this black spot in the right corner,is this ok.I mean I see on both of yours it is visible.Then again as i disassembled the speedo,it had also two of these marks,so i think this is ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130331_131350.jpg (143.2 KB, 401 views)
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That black spot does appear to be a normal part of how they manufacture the VFDs.

Since it is custom I can't find a data sheet for it. It would have been good if I could so that we could take some comparative measurements to determine if that is what is bad on yours.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
skoya

Quote:
That black spot does appear to be a normal part of how they manufacture the VFDs.

Since it is custom I can't find a data sheet for it. It would have been good if I could so that we could take some comparative measurements to determine if that is what is bad on yours.
When I loooked at it,from each angle and side,i could not see any soldering error or something like that.It leaves now to test this small circuit board behind it.Then we shall see.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
When I loooked at it,from each angle and side,i could not see any soldering error or something like that.It leaves now to test this small circuit board behind it.Then we shall see.
The driver circuitry is actually on the bottom of the large board (where the large can shaped devices are). The small board on the back is the core board where the odometer data is stored and the main processor is located. I believe that that one is fine.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
skoya

Ok Scott,here on this pic you can see these three transistors or whatever they are,seems to be burned.You can tell by their middle pins.I have isnpected them with ohmmeter,and the current flows on both sides instead of one.They are type MK 58.So when I turned the cluster on the other side,you can see clearly brown spots on this green pattern.Can you confirm that this could be the problem.You can see them right in the bottom middle section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130402_191222.jpg (139.5 KB, 394 views)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok Scott,here on this pic you can see these three transistors or whatever they are,seems to be burned.You can tell by their middle pins.I have isnpected them with ohmmeter,and the current flows on both sides instead of one.They are type MK 58.So when I turned the cluster on the other side,you can see clearly brown spots on this green pattern.Can you confirm that this could be the problem.You can see them right in the bottom middle section.
That could be the problem or at least part of it. On mine all six of the transistors in that area check out correctly with the ohmmeter. I believe the 58 is a date code, since mine are all MK 61 on one cluster and MK 68 on another.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
skoya

Quote:
That could be the problem or at least part of it. On mine all six of the transistors in that area check out correctly with the ohmmeter. I believe the 58 is a date code, since mine are all MK 61 on one cluster and MK 68 on another.
Where can i buy these.Is there anything on ebay,or some another web page.
And i need some characteristics for this type.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Where can i buy these.Is there anything on ebay,or some another web page.
And i need some characteristics for this type.
I am not sure. The MK alone is not enough information.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
skoya

Hey Scott,can you please help me with this transistor.I could not find nothing with this code MK 58.It has to be another name for it.