Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #37
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
It's my understanding that you cannot really do a complete standalone and get rid of the ECU on a Yota DD. As a race built car for the track, sure but as a DD the OE ECU still needs to read certain values for the engine to turn over etc.

I also can't have a stand alone ECU if I want to keep my Yaris on the street and pass an etest every 2 years. I need an OBD II port to check for CEL's to pass.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #38
tmontague

For those of you who have installed an aftermarket AFR:

I was under the impression that the primary O2 sensor (the one installed on the header) is a wideband (AFR) sensor? If this is the case, is it not possible to just use that one to run an AFR gauge? Or does an AFR gauge need it's own sensor as the factory sensor cannot be spliced into?
Old 12-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #39
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
CTScott can guide you on that part, but there is a reason why you can't. If I recall correctly, the values the Toyota A/F sensor doesn't have a wide enough range. Also, the signal output are different so your gauge will not be accurate.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #40
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I just picked up a Camcon EX....currently discussing it with tuners
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #41
tmontague

following...

Since I'm staying NA I'm curious to get as many people's real world experiences/opinions on the camcon in terms of how effective it is if long term. Also curious as to what the tuner says about it

If it does work well long term then I think it is something that a lot of Yaris owners could benefit from who have bolt on's.

It seems to me that most Yaris owners who care about performance enough to install and tune a camcon or other piggyback just go into boosting the car (probably for good reason). I however don't want to drop the cash or reduce the reliability of my Yaris by going boosted but if I can advance timing and improve the AFR's especially under WOT then I could get a decent increase in performance and maximize my current mods.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #42
ilikerice

Main reason for this is trying to squeeze every ounce of torque out of this engine as we possibly can to compete in Autocross within the rules of STF. Armstrong is also in this boat, but he now has sponsors, so he is leading the way right now.

I have had mine installed for 6 months now but it isn't tuned yet. It has been turned off. It was used when I bought it so I don't know what tune is saved on it and a bit too scared to turn it on and see the difference.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #43
tmontague

I thought camcon has ots maps for the yaris loaded in it that should be a safe conservative tune until you get it tuned. Or if you have an afr just use that to give yourself an idea of how far you can take your tune
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #44
ilikerice

When the Camcom is on. It bypass' the ECU. When it is off, it closes the loop with the ECU to run the ECU parameters.

You can do it that way but it isn't safe. First you adjust the cams, then you adjust A/F to compensate for the added air flow. It isn't like tuning for boost where you set your PSI and then adjust A/F to run safe. Well, it is actually, but you don't know how much to advance or retard a cam with out knowing if your adding power or losing it.

You can do some damage if you go too far with the cams and also you may just lose power if you advance or retard too much and you wouldn't know it without being on an actual dyno.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #45
tmontague

Yes, self afr tuning is definitely not even close to a proper dyno tune as you can only really ensure your afr's are safe and use the butt dyno to gauge performance. I wouldn't be pushing the tune too far without a dyno for the reasons you stated.

Have you tried the base maps on the camcon? much better than stock?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #46
ilikerice

No, not yet. I haven't found anyone willing to share. I had asked on here earlier this year but no feedback. It would definitely cut tuning time by a lot by having something that is close to optimal. So tuner only has to adjust up or down instead of searching for the sweet spot from the beginning.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #47
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Advance the cam from 3-5 and retard the cam above 5.

You can pretty much max the advance on this engine since there is a ton of PTV clearance.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #48
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post

You can pretty much max the advance on this engine since there is a ton of PTV clearance.
are you talking about 3-5k rpm? or how much to advance and retard the cams?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #49
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
are you talking about 3-5k rpm? or how much to advance and retard the cams?
Thats not a question I can answer. Due to factory tolerances, some cams may come off the line being advanced 5 degrees, some come off retarded 5 degrees, and some come off perfect. Since the camcom works in percentages, its not a easy thing to guess at, if your engine was like mine where the cam was retarded 5 degrees maxing the advance worked, if its like my old engine it would likely cost power.

I was at max advance between 3-4.5 and tapered down to 5.5 with everything above that retarded slightly. This is something that really needs to be done on a dyno.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #50
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post

Then why are you suggesting for me to just advance the cam? Again, this can only be done on a dyno which I can not get to one that will allow me to tune it and the closest one that a tuner will do it is 6 hours away.

This is a Dyno only piggyback system.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #51
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

You asked for a starting point. I can't give you exact percentages, since it needs to be done on a dyno like you already know.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #52
tmontague

On the specs you gave, are you referring to rpm's? I have no idea of what your numbers are referencing, that's what I was asking about.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 AM   #53
ilikerice

The Camcon controls the VVT-i timing +/- 20 degree in 15 different points of 500rpm increments within 2000rpm to 9000rpm Range.

A/F is controlled -10% to +20% in 17 different points of 500 rpm increments within the range of 1000rpm to 9000rpm. Easy Installation

Here is the instruction and more detail page that can help better understand it and how to install it

http://www.power-enterprise.co.jp/US...con/camcon.htm
Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #54
tmontague

Thanks Rice. I had seen that before on one of the other Yota forums. I am just not sure if namerx is referring to percentages or rpm? As in "above 5" is he talking about retarding timing above s,000rpm?